welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Waystation
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karui_Kage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Newbie Waystation Reply with quote

Credit to Agamemnon (the creator of the most recent Waystation thread I saw), Twilight Mage, and any other creators of the many Newbie Waystations over the years.
-----------
Welcome to the Newbie Way Station!! Everything you could want is right at your fingertips. But, before we continue, a word from our sponsors, with a special thanks to the Sinfest Forum Oldbies, and the new hugely delicious double third pound burger from Hardees™ with two 1/3 lb. patties and four strips of bacon on a toasted and buttered bun. The mere name of this burger will give you a heart attack, so, to protect the innocent....Probably doesn't matter here, but anywho… The almighty sage of newbie welcome, TwilightMage, has laid down this list of suggestions (with a few minor clarifications provided by me...)

NEWBIES:
If you want to say hi, please post here. Please don't start a thread to say, "Hey look at me. I'm here." I'm not saying it's a rule, I'm just suggesting you do this as a courtesy. Besides, no one's really impressed when you post a newbie threat to flout the rules. It's been done before and it's usually a simple tale of sound and fury signifying stupid.

Way Station Rules (applying to this thread, not necessarily to others)

First, NO Super powers, God powers, Anime powers, et cetera (not even Austin Powers) or weapons of any sort past this point. CHECK THEM HERE. They will be returned to you in time. Not so much a big deal anymore, but still on the books.

Please respect your elders. It's only polite.

Violators will be persecuted, hunted down, killed, filleted, eaten and then treated rather shabbily.

Repeat offenders will be stapled to a metal folding chair with your eyes nailed open and forced to watch Gigli. (Or if that movie has finally been burned from existence, Ishtar)

And now . . .
THE NOT-SO-MUCH-RULES-ANYMORE-AS-THEY-ARE-GUIDELINES-FOR-MAKING-YOUR-STAY-IN-THE-SINFEST-FORUM-AS PAINLESS (FOR US) -AS-POSSIBLE:

1. No puking on the Strippers.
2. No resurrecting dead threads. A thread older than a week is dead.
3. No posting replies to old threads in a new thread.
4. Newbies can't pick on Newbies.
5. No "I want to see Monique naked" posts.
6. Sexual Harassment is allowed (but will be graded on a scale of 1-10)
7. All females must be bisexual or at least bi-curious.
8. Take the newbie hazing like . . . well, a newbie

Newbie - any person under an undetermined amount of posts, depending on whether or not we think you deserve not to be called a newbie. Not to be confused with Fleem, which is far worse.

If you feel like you ABSOLUTELY MUST be hazed, just wait - we'll get to you. However, there is no hazing/fighting in the Way Station.

Regulars, please do the newbies a favor and give this thread a bump if it needs one. And please DON'T spam the waystation.

Now, welcome!! And above all, HAVE FUN!!!

Last edited by Karui_Kage on Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karui_Kage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A FAQ from Agamemnon - Note: Ignore non-applicable Keenspot related things.
-----------
Here's my little contribution to the Way Station. A Small Forum FAQ. (Some facetiousness thrown in so as not to seem too lecturing, ok?)

I am looking to create some traffic to my website. Should I register, and then just post the link?

Yes. Then, please nibble on some high tension wires. Noobs!! DO NOT click on a lone link in a post by someone with just a few posts. This is likely spam. Anyone who clicks on a link like this will likely encourage further spammers to visit these forums, which is a presence we're lucky to avoid. Also, don't post in the thread, as one of the oldbies will mail the admins and have the thread deleted. The thread won't be deleted if there are responses to the spammer. Thank you in advance. Oldbies, this is the Spidiot thread.

Why are there more than one Way Station threads?

We are all narcissistic here. We don't want to scare away the Newbies, so when a Way Station gets too cluttered, it's time to bomb it in favor of a new one. What does this have to do with narcissism? You tell me.

But, what has happened now? The Way Station is still here, but all the posts are gone! Did I just lose all my postwhoring? Did I just lose my train of thought?

I am power hungry! Hear me roar! I discovered a new trick that allows the original poster to edit the title of a thread. Check around. I bet you can find the last thread somewhere.

I thought Twilight Mage was running the Waystation. Whatever happened to him?

Yeah, I miss the Mage too. But, he's moved on to his own things. I believe he pops in from time to time. Perhaps he'll come back like most of the oldbies do from time to time. In the mean time, I try to run this in a way that meets his approval, and brings respect to all the forum oldbies. Now if you excuse me, I have to go blow stuff up…

When I click on the last page (or several pages) of a thread, I get a " No posts exist for this topic". What did I do wrong?

You forgot to stand on your head when clicking this thread. Keenspot has had problems in the past. It still has problems occasionally with crashing. This often happens with one or more people are trying to submit their post. As such, the counter for a thread registers the post, but the post actually never gets posted. I think the Post office snatches these "Phantom" posts, posthaste. For the solution, try clicking on the previous page (i.e. if there appears to be 27 pages, click on page 26.) If this doesn't work, click on the title of the Thread, and scroll down. There is info at the bottom of the page that might help you. If you still can't figure this out, cover yourself in Jell-O and post a picture here. If you are attractive enough, you might get some help….

I see these fight threads, and I'm heavy into it. They look like a lot of fun, but are there any rules?

First off, I would read the entire thread to get a feel for the atmosphere there. Next, I would visit here for the rules. And Finally, I would be prepared to die quickly if you screw up. I mean, someone like Black Leviathan will transfer himself electronically through your screen and squeeze your small intestines through your bellybutton. Messy, and I didn't like it.

ahem.......... excuse me for interupting........... its just its been 6 days........ 6 days and no new sinfest................and no ones seems to have said anything???? is it just me??? am i the only one not getting my hit??? HELP!! does everyone know something i don't?? (Credit for this question goes to gabrielle)

What the hell do you think this is? A forum to discuss the Sinfest comic?....(Listens to an oldbie whisper in his ear) Well, I guess I even learned something today. Okay, we all love Tat for his ability to keep up with the updates. He is among the best on the net with this. But, he is only human after all (can anybody actually confirm this bit?) He deserves vacations too. And, occasionally he has taken them. Don't worry. So far, he has come back every time. (Usually not more than a week to 10 days.) [Tat info thread for the oldbies]

What's with the double posts? Are all of you here stupid morons or something?

No, only newbies who insult the existing community are morons. The system that hosts this forum (that keenspot word you see in the upper left of your screen) is not perfect. Several factors can cause a duplicate post. One common one is when one posts to a thread that has the last (several) page(s) and then gets the message "No posts exist for this topic" (see first FAQ question). If you hit the back button, and it asks you to re-submit the information, it results in a duplicate post. When the system gets unstable right before a crash, sometimes duplicate posts are created due to hitting the submit button twice. There are other things that might cause this to happen. If it happens to you and you have the last post, you can use the "x" in the upper right of your post to delete your duplicate. This only works if you are the most recent poster.

I hear there is a sinfest chat channel. But the link at the top leads me to some sort of general keenspot chat. What's up with that?

The only place worse for a newbie to be than the forum is on #sinfest channel. We are a bunch of elitists that hate you on general principle. Okay, not really. #Keenspot CHAT @ irc.nightstar.net is the Keenspot Chat Channel, and you won't find Sinfest specific chat there. #sinfest channel is actually located on the sorcery.net server, port 6667. This requires IRC. There's a java applet floating around, but I'm not sure it works anymore. Anyway, if you can't find it with this info, then either ask around discretely or stay away. Or better yet, post a question about it, and include a disclaimer of "NSFW" and include some boobage. I bet you'll get a response that way.

Last edited by Karui_Kage on Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:31 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Waystation Reply with quote

Karui_Kage wrote:

3. No posting replies to old threads in a new thread.

THIS MEANS YOU EBOY
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

regarding IRC:

http://www.vaxon.sorcery.net/webchat/index.cgi

Set the channel to #Sinfest and you're good to go.
Xiph0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my "Hallo".

Usually skip intro's on forums, but I'll put this down so I can point later and say I actually read it. Razz

Last edited by Xiph0 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am posting on this high quality forum!
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You guys are going to haunt me until the end of all time with that quote.
Willem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

You naughty, naughty boy.
TIAB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
You guys are going to haunt me until the end of all time with that quote.

More than likely, or for 7 years. Chances are though, with a quote such as that one that the phrase will show up on an image and be circulated around the 'net until countless parodies have been produced and killed the humor for most. The picture will be forced to make appearances at weddings and birthday parties to make ends meet and be ultimately forgotten until VH1 does a special on it 20 years from now. There will be a short lived revival of interest in the phrase which will turn into a backlash when VH1 announces that the phrase will have its own reality show.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 'high quality thread' is the 21st century 'all your base' except it was ruined earlier.
DELETED

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Bodhisattva

Location: Currently Chicago, but variable in the near future.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that makes us all newbies again.
* Proud adopter of the former newbies Lasairfiona, bottm_angel and trustedfaith.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfpint wrote:
hm... does this make me a newbie again? Rolling Eyes

I hope not, cause you and I were newbs at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DELETED

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're only 15...

...there's still time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Forum Guidelines All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 1 of 157

Jump to: