Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4/1/07 - To Hell and Back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MellowFish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an american, I have heard "on the weekend" occasionally but also without prepositions as LD! said.
YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh!

I kept reading filecore talking about teaching the UK version of english, and assumed he was living there.

and no, I don't know if the UK has any plans to annex Finland.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further confuse things, I am in fact British (actually to even further confuse things, I'm Scottish) but I live in Finland. Although what I teach is British English - and I frequently disagree with the books in front of my students, when they happen to be in US English - in Finland (and yes, many other European countries) they are taught UK English in schools, from books with UK grammar. The problem is that they then get practical use of English by watching telly and listening to American shows and films - that's why so many foreigners, when speaking English, have a kind of mish-mash accent between UK and US versions.
YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, with the internet, international television, and whatnot, if there will be less differences in english dialects in the future.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the internet, it'll be a wonder if grammar and punctuation even survive into the future...

But seriously, where you live affects your accent a lot. I know a Swedish woman who lived for some time in Australia and has a perfect Aussie accent. One of my best friends is a Finn, but lived for a year in South Africa, and you can hear it in her voice. Many of my non-native-English-speaker friends have clear accents which aren't US accents, and quite often aren't British either but are still perfectly valid.

Not to say there isn't still the whole "Vot do you vant, jaa, dis is goot" brigade, but they're not as widespread as people seem to think.
%#&@

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: well-done Sunday's best on the 1st Reply with quote

Kry wrote:

Life, dude. That's life. It has nothing to do with religions.

or 'grammar', as `twere(;

Personally, I'm surprised that stool ever gets dusty!
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YenTheFirst wrote:
I wonder, with the internet, international television, and whatnot, if there will be less differences in english dialects in the future.

television has already done a lot to erase dialects - both american and english accents seem to be trending towards being the same as the newsreaders in each country. filecore says his students are picking up spoken english via american television and movies; americans have had access to at least some british television and the bbc, and the english have american movies and tv shows - so i imagine there will be a trend towards what used to be called a 'mid-atlantic' accent.

hopefully we'll manage to keep some dialects, though - they are what make the language fun.
Green_Finn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American newscasters and anchorpersons are encouraged to adopt a midwesternish accent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: