welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Next Big Thing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im missing all the introspection on this one. I'm just not seeing it. Although that could be because ive been up for 23 hours but im just kinda feeling like this strip fell short.
Robo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that Jay Leno is in this comic made me happy.
TestTubeError

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, and since when are we ACTUALLY made in the image of god?
That's a good question. Having examined the popular conceptions or god, I can safely say that we were NOT made in their image, except perhaps that we both get really lonely, grumpy, and jealous and try to manipulate others into making us feel better. Other than that, I dont see it.

God: Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omniscient, Infalible, Invulnerable, Clever

Human: Nope.

...according to the gods that people believe in these days anyway. <sigh>
Kibate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TestTubeError wrote:

You lost me...
If he were indeed all that, life would be way easier. Yes, if god does indeed exist, he's pretty great, but not perfect. A perfect being would create perfect humans(if he want to create humans for whateva reasons). A perfect being could magically kill everyone instead of using mother nature. A perfect being wouldn't have the need for...anything that happened in the Bible.

What i want to say is, god is a good feela, maybe even above humans, but not
Quote:
Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Omniscient, Infalible, Invulnerable, Clever

Willem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus is ginger!
Tago Mago

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
EDIT: Thinking on it, God just said what Jesus and Buddha were too polite to say.

Haha. The Sinfest forums are so much more theologically coherent than the actual scriptures.
Unnamed?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
I don't think it is mockery. In this case God doesn't need to mock him to deflate him, just to show him exactly what he's doing, which is prancing around like a retard because he thinks he's winning popularity contests.

EDIT: Thinking on it, God just said what Jesus and Buddha were too polite to say.

I think it's very much a mockery. You can't have the googlie eyed devil puppet and call it a serious, honest, fully accurate representation of the Devil's actions.
Secret

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the similarity to 'Always leave them wanting more'.
MellowFish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kibate wrote:
If he were indeed all that, life would be way easier. Yes, if god does indeed exist, he's pretty great, but not perfect. A perfect being would create perfect humans(if he want to create humans for whateva reasons). A perfect being could magically kill everyone instead of using mother nature. A perfect being wouldn't have the need for...anything that happened in the Bible.

What, pray tell, is a perfect human?

And by the way, God did create perfect humans at least in the physical sense: Adam and Eve were immortal before they sinned. It was only after they fell that they were destined to die, and even then people lived hundreds of years before they died in many cases.

The only "flaw" if you want to call it that was giving them free will. But imagine a world without free will: would you really want to live in such a place?
TiranoPetrie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't there, you wouldn't know about it, and you wouldn't care. Ignorance truly is bliss.
%#&@

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: mm, 'Popular' lightweight rimshot or . . Reply with quote

YenTheFirst wrote:
sheeesh. that's not how the devil signs autographs

yah, nice tagline there also - today's just looked so . . shallow. Which may be the point with popularity (w/o analyzing it to death).

Possibly an exercise in perspective? It's not all deep depths in the everyday runaround, there's a surface gloss that serves for temporary mass markup of a sort (finger puppets, man is that G' a kidder or hwat? Very Happy ).

Hey, ya go with the audience ya got in showbiz Wink
Phen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God shows the big D what his popularity is worth, that is nothing at all. I understood it as God mocking the devil again, because humans are just his puppets.
PinkSpider43

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MellowFish wrote:

And by the way, God did create perfect humans at least in the physical sense: Adam and Eve were immortal before they sinned. It was only after they fell that they were destined to die, and even then people lived hundreds of years before they died in many cases.
Are you quite sure about that? The timelines of how long everyone lived seemed to be getting shorter and shorter up to the flood, so I always figured that people couldn't die (of natural causes) before the flood came and killed everyone. After all, there is a specific point at the end of Noah's story where it says, SPECIFICALLY, "And then he died. Why would they make this out to be such a huge deal if people were already regularly dying for no reason before Noah?

Of course, all this would require that you believe in all that bible stuff.

More importantly, great comic today, with a great message.
Deception

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TestTubeError wrote:
Quote:
Oh, and since when are we ACTUALLY made in the image of god?
That's a good question. Having examined the popular conceptions or god, I can safely say that we were NOT made in their image, except perhaps that we both get really lonely, grumpy, and jealous and try to manipulate others into making us feel better. Other than that, I dont see it.

Human: Nope.

...according to the gods that people believe in these days anyway. <sigh>

I think the whole "Made in the image of God" is not a reference to be interpreted that we humans are as perfect as God, but that we may share physical similarities.

The way I picture it is this: There's a baker in a bakery, he is making gingerbread cookies. He makes the dough, he spreads out the ingredients evenly, and he prepares the oven. Before he bakes the cookies, he first uses a cutter, a cutter that is made in the shape of a human and makes perfectly identicle human cookies. While the cutter is in a shape similar to humans, it is not identicle to the baker, but close enough. Both have two arms, two legs, a head, and a body. But the cutter is only a shadow image of the baker.

Once the baker places the cookies in the oven and cooks them, he takes them out. When they first went in, they were perfectly identicle, each having the exact same shape. But after they went through the oven, the became defected. Now, they were no longer perfect, some having unbaked arms, broken off legs, mishapened heads, and a variety of other defects. They were now as far from the image of the baker as possible, but still retained some qualities of the baker.

The baker is God, and the creation of the gingerbread men is the creation of man, and the men themselves are humans(This could be said to be either the human soul or body, depending how you wish to look at it). Now, I am Christian, but this is what I believe is meant by the "We are made in God's image" thing. I think I may have gotten too specific in my analogy, but as long as you don't over emphasize it, you should get what I'm trying to say. (Sorry for the long post)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, why does a god punish people for using their free-will, if free-will is so crucial to humans being perfect? Why is using the free-will that god gave people considered a "fall" by that god? Well, if there is no god then it is considered a fall only by you and your believer friends.

Does this god have free-will? Why does he not ever "fall?"

If a god can have free-will and not fall, then why did Adam and Eve? Why did Adam and Eve ever make a choice to, let's call it "sin" just for fun, sin, if they understood FULLY the consequences? I'm sorry, but in that story, which is nothing but a mythical fabrication, Adam and Eve were framed. They were set up to fail and they were convicted for that failure. What kind of a sick being would do that to his creation? And, you are a complete fool for buying into it all.

Your implication that a world without free-will would somehow be worse than what we have now is beside the point. YOUR GOD has free-will yet never has to deal with the crap that he supposedly forced us to deal with. Mistakes, pain, fear, etc. Unless your god earned his current position as a god, I fail to see his point in creating beings that are as completely lame as humans can be.

You ask what a perfect human is. What is a perfect god? One who simply claims to be? On what basis do you hold your god to be perfect? A sensible person would think that a god who cannot fail would create beings who cannnot fail. So, what's the story here?

And, what's the point of all this? Just so that the god can feel a little less lonely. BILLIONS of lesser beings generated and many of them ending up in eternal pain, just so this invisible super-man can have some friends who can barely comprehend him. What a joke.

The Christian story is a mockery of fairness, truth, dignity, and sensibility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: