welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4/16/07 - Losers Unite!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinkSpider43

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:
I declare war on Pinkspider because I am variant speciesist.
Well, I declared pre-emptive war on you about two months ago.
Secret

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ain't that a damn shame.

*Hadoken-style fire blast*
elendil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loser seems to be a label that you can tag onto certain people. I say, who cares whether or not I'm a loser, just as long as I'm happy.
deusabscondidum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Not all lame people are losers.

Only the lame ones without the goods to compensate. If you're loaded and lame, then you're just lame. If you're poor and lame, then you might be considered a loser.

And if I were better at logic, I might come up with a word problem for this and make actual sense of it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gonz'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elendil wrote:
Loser seems to be a label that you can tag onto certain people. I say, who cares whether or not I'm a loser, just as long as I'm happy.

The point is, real losers aren't usualy happy, even if they think they are. A sincerely happy loser is by definition not a loser. At least in my book.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonz' wrote:
elendil wrote:

The point is, real losers aren't usualy happy, even if they think they are.

;-)
Gonz'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't half-quote me bitch Razz I don't know elendil, he could be perfectly happy (for what it means) or even not talking about himself.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but please explain to me the difference between knowing you're happy and thinking you're happy. Seems to me that either way, you're happy, and either way, you can't tell (from your point of view) which it is. Ignorance is bliss and all that.
Gonz'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah hence my "for what it means"... But still not to know it doesn't mean there isn't a truth somewhere.

Now if it is relevant or not, who am I to decide !?

I just wanted to point out that people I think are losers aren't usualy happy from my take on happiness.

I don't think there is any kind of universality on happiness tho. Maybe if you keep it very short and simple we could find a kind of 95% consensus, but never more.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignorance is not bliss... aaaaugh, I hate that stupid bullshit blanket saying.
Twister87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Ignorance is not bliss... aaaaugh, I hate that stupid bullshit blanket saying.

Ignorance is bliss*.

* Disclaimer: Does not apply to the following - ignorance of oncoming traffic; ignorance of landmines; ignorance of boss standing behind you watching you play internet games on your computer; ignorance of radiation emanating from the next-door neighbour's 50 year old microwave; or ignorance of anything else particularly harmful to one's health/well-being.
filecore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does not apply to the following - ignorance of oncoming traffic; ignorance of landmines; ignorance of boss standing behind you watching you play internet games on your computer; ignorance of radiation emanating from the next-door neighbour's 50 year old microwave; or ignorance of anything else particularly harmful to one's health/well-being.

This is where you are all wrong. The fact of ignorance is not bliss, and if you were aware of that fact, yes, you could be upset and most certainly not blissful. Let's take your first example. "Ignorance is bliss" does not apply to ignorance of oncoming traffic (assuming we are standing in the middle of a road).

Now, think: if you are standing in the middle of a road, and there is a ten-ton eighteen-wheeler thundering towards you, and you are completely ignorant of its approach, are you going to feel nervous, or scared, or worried about it? The answer, my friends, is a resounding no. Only if you were aware of its approach would your state of 'ignorant bliss' be disrupted.

I am not saying that being hit by a ten-ton truck is a good or necessarily desirable thing, but the fact remains that if you were not aware of the truck's approach, there would be no problem until the moment at which you were hit. I would encourage members of this forum (particularly those suffering from depression) to try the above experiment and report their results back to the rest of us.

EDIT: to give a slightly more realistic example, I might suggest that you are playing, and deeply engrossed in, a game of Battlefield 1942. Your boss walks up behind you. What would your boss observe? That you are oblivious to his presence and happily enjoying your game. Your ignorance is still bliss, regardless of the boss' actual physical presence. Q.E.D.

Last edited by filecore on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
bun bun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

filecore wrote:
Quote:
Does not apply to the following - ignorance of oncoming traffic; ignorance of landmines; ignorance of boss standing behind you watching you play internet games on your computer; ignorance of radiation emanating from the next-door neighbour's 50 year old microwave; or ignorance of anything else particularly harmful to one's health/well-being.

This is where you are all wrong. The fact of ignorance is not bliss, and if you were aware of that fact, yes, you could be upset and most certainly not blissful. Let's take your first example. "Ignorance is bliss" does not apply to ignorance of oncoming traffic (assuming we are standing in the middle of a road).

Now, think: if you are standing in the middle of a road, and there is a ten-ton eighteen-wheeler thundering towards you, and you are completely ignorant of its approach, are you going to feel nervous, or scared, or worried about it? The answer, my friends, is a resounding no. Only if you were aware of its approach would your state of 'ignorant bliss' be disrupted.

I am not saying that being hit by a ten-ton truck is a good or necessarily desirable thing, but the fact remains that if you were not aware of the truck's approach, there would be no problem until the moment at which you were hit. I would encourage members of this forum (particularly those suffering from depression) to try the above experiment and report their results back to the rest of us.

You make Jesus sad. Sad
Twister87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*adds '|' to tally of jokes taken seriously*
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for the record - the full quote is "where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise" (from a poem by thomas gray) - so it's not exactly a uniform celebration of ignorance. (actually, he is talking about the innocence of children, and their ignorance of the harsher aspects of life)

(later) - been checking out a few other of his poems. he also coined "all that glisters is not gold", sort of...in the poem "ode on the death of a favourite cat, drowned in a tub of goldfishes".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: