welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sinfest recipe book (index pg. 1)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: The Sinfest recipe book (index pg. 1) Reply with quote

Ok so I'll try to add one recipe weekly (well hopefully at least that often). I'm not going to post anything that I haven't made myself/had made for me. Try not to post anything you haven't made for yourself/have had made for you. Lastly, just because someone else has posted a recipe for something don't be afraid to post your own variation. Please give credit where it's due or we'll assume it's yours.

Below is an index of all recipes in this thread, by order of appearance, with links to their respective posts. PM me if I miss any.

Red Velvet Cake
Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pork-Apple Sausage and Pear Risotto
Sweet Pasta Stew
Quick Shrimp Scampi
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with A-Peel
The World's Most Stupidly Easy Peanut Butter Cookies
The Easiest Chicken Marsala Ever
Japanese-Style Curry
Stove Top Mac-n-cheese
Apricot-Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Halloween Pumpkin Cake
Bacon and Egg Casserole (Microwave)
Irish Haggis
MoPa Dofu
Cheesecake (w/variations)
Mud Cake
Dro's Pork w/ Kiwi Chutney
Spinach dip
The Simplest Roast Turkey, Turkey Giblet Stock, and Turkey Giblet Gravy
Eggnog
Zee Zee's Very Easy Eggnog
Dinsky's Mom's Fantastic Chocolate Chip Cookies
Artichoke Salad
Sugar Cookies (For Cast Iron Cookie Mold)
pork + carrots + lavender + garlic + a little white wine
Broccoli-Lasagne Roll-Ups Recipe
Pesto Pizza
Chocolate Cake In 5 Minutes!
Ice Cream in a Bag
Low-cal Mini-breakfast
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Fried Rice with Beans
Tomato-basil Quiche
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chicken and rice soup
Almond Bark Cookies aka Those Peanut Butter Glob Things
Tamarind Jarritos
Buuuns
Tipsy Strawberry-Watermelon Pops
TI's pasta w/ onions, fennel, mushrooms and goat cheese
Dandelion Wine
Dandelion Salad
Aida's Scalloped Zucchini
Grilled Roast Chicken

Southern Red Velvet Cake

Quote:

Recipe courtesy Cakeman Raven, Cakeman Raven Confectionery, NYC
Vegetable oil for the pans
2 1/2 cups cake flour* VERY crucial to use cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring (1 ounce)
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe follows
Crushed pecans, for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil and flour 3 (9 by 1 1/2-inch round) cake pans.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In another large bowl, whisk together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.

Using a standing mixer, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined and a smooth batter is formed.

Divide the cake batter evenly among the prepared cake pans. Place the pans in the oven evenly spaced apart. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through the cooking, until the cake pulls away from the side of the pans, and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean, about 30 minutes.

Remove the cakes from the oven and run a knife around the edges to loosen them from the sides of the pans. One at a time, invert the cakes onto a plate and then re-invert them onto a cooling rack, rounded-sides up. Let cool completely.

Frost the cake. Place 1 layer, rounded-side down, in the middle of a rotating cake stand. Using a palette knife or offset spatula spread some of the cream cheese frosting over the top of the cake. (Spread enough frosting to make a 1/4 to 1/2-inch layer.) Carefully set another layer on top, rounded-side down, and repeat. Top with the remaining layer and cover the entire cake with the remaining frosting. Sprinkle the top with the pecans.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 pound cream cheese, softened
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand-held electric mixer in a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and butter on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to high, and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. (Occasionally turn the mixer off, and scrape the down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.)

Reduce the speed of the mixer to low. Add the vanilla, raise the speed to high and mix briefly until fluffy (scrape down the bowl occasionally). Store in the refrigerator until somewhat stiff, before using. May be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days.

Yield: enough to frost a 3 layer (9-inch) cake

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: about 6 to 8 servings

In the top three of best cakes I've ever had.

Last edited by Darqcyde on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:26 am; edited 19 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing!! I found this a damn interesting recipe but making it was an adventure. Changes are in purple. Original recipe in the link. Yes, the order that it is written is a little wierd so read through the whole thing.
Food! (for robots) wrote:

Stuffed Acorn Squash with Pork-Apple Sausage and Pear Risotto

2 medium-sized (5-6" wide) acorn squash
4 chicken-apple-prosciutto sausages
1.5 C medium grain or risotto rice
Some cheap scotch, bourbon, or whiskey We used brandy
1/2 C manchego
1 pear
2 cans low salt chicken broth

THE SQUASH
preheat oven to 350.
scrub the surfaces, remove all labels, and halve two small-sized acorn squashes (approx 5-6" wide).
de-seed and de-vein (no stringy stuff). Lightly salt each half.
place all four halves cut-side down in a buttered 9x12 pan.
once the oven achieves temperature, pour 1/4" of hot water in the pan. Add a sprig of an herb such as thyme or rosmary
bake for 45 minutes.
keep the oven on after you remove the squash.
drain the water and set them aside, cut side up.

THE SAUSAGE
We used some specialty sausage that a local story makes. Next time we will use pork-apple sausage as the chicken was just a little bit too weak. use a cast iron skillet to cook four of dem links. rotate the sausages so they brown, almost blacken, on all sides.
once they're done and cool, slice lengthwise, and then into 1/4" to 1/2" half-rounds. Keep them under foil (and whole) until you are ready to put them in the risotto.
don't rinse those pan drippings away! with the pan on medium heat, add a splash of cheap bourbon, scotch, or whiskey to deglaze. basically the alcohol will burn off, and as you stir, you incorproate the drippings into the mix. dump it all into the risotto and watch the color change! YUM!

THE RISOTTO
boil the chicken broth in another pan. keep aside and keep at a simmer. Put a bit of tyme in with the chicken broth so you can flavor the rice as you cook it.
meanwhile, toast the rice in 1/2 T butter on medium low heat. it It should become translucient.
once the rice is ready, add a little (1/4 C) of the simmering chicken broth.
stir. once the bottom of the pan is fairly dry, continue to add 1/4 to 1/2 C of the water in stages.
as you make your way through most of the liquid, add the sliced sausages into the risotto. Make sure you save your seasonings until after you add the sausage. Salt and pepper will be a must though. Any herbs should be in the liquid.
the process should take 20-25 minutes to go through all the water. you'll notice the mixture begins to keep its softness. test for doneness -- if the rice is the least bit crunchy, you need to add more liquid and keep the process going.

THE FINISH
shred or grate all the manchego into the risotto. stir. Yes, manchego. Parm may work but it isn't the same.
peel the skin off the pear.
after the pan drippings and sausage have been added to the risotto, and the all the water has been added and nearly evaporated, dice 3 sides of the pear into small 1/4" cubes. add the dices into the risotto. stir and cook another minute. the 4th side of the pear should be sliced thinly and reserved for garnish.

stuff the now-cool acorn squash halves with the risotto. put back in the oven for 5 minutes. remove and garnish with three thin slices of the pear.

serve with white wine and a light salad. shit yeah.

I made it tonight and it is hands down one of the best meals I have ever had. I paired it with a basic salad (balsamic vinagrette with herbed feta) and an amazing Chardonnay (Catena Alta 2003, from Argentina). It deserved every bit of that $30 bottle.

Tiogshi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourites; I make a batch every couple weeks. Best of all; it's dead easy and dirt-cheap to make.

Sweet Pasta Stew

Ingredients:
1x ~380 mL can - Crushed or diced tomatoes.
1x ~200 mL can - Vegetable Soup. Think Campbell's "Hearty Vegetable".
1x ~400 mL can - firm beans. White or red kidney beans work best.
100 mL (1/3 cup) - water.
1 to 2 handfuls - short pasta. Rotini, penne, or seashells work best.
1 handful - sweet baby onions, pickled. Don't let any pickling juice get in, though; pick them out with a fork or something.
2 handfuls - 2 cm² chopped meat; works best with strong bavarian sausage, but cheddar franks, moist pepperoni, or even generic hot-dogs work in a pinch. Lightly seasoned freshly-cooked chicken will do, but don't try anything drier; turkey will just turn to string, and leftover or packaged pre-cooked chicken just turns firmer during cooking.

How-to:
1. Put everything except the pasta in a slow-cooker.
2. Cook on high for 3 hours.
3. Add the pasta; stir thoroughly; make sure most of the pasta is submerged.
4. Cook for 15 minutes more on high.
5. Turn off the heat; do not leave simmering before packaging or serving. Serves 4 to 7, depending on how much meat and pasta you prefer.

Notes:
Package unserved leftovers ASAP. If you put it into closed tupperware inside half an hour, then it keeps its moisture wonderfully. Just microwave with the lid open but sitting on top of the container, and it is just as moist and sweet re-heated as it was fresh, for up to a week.

If you use enough pasta for it to serve seven, it works out to between 90 and 130 cents per hearty-sized serving. And I use full-bowl, full-meal serving sizes, not the deceptive "when served as one of the four courses in your meal" serving.

The sweet onions are optional, but highly suggested. They don't change the flavour of the stew at all; it's the chopped or diced tomatoes, instead of using pureed ones, that do that. But with the sweet onions, you'll find an onion in the middle of a mouthful, which just explodes with their sweet flavour and moisture, and it makes eating this stew a little fun and surprising, as well as delicious.
jwing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiogshi, i made that stew for dinner friday, but misread the recipe. instead of one or two handfuls of seashell noodles, i dumped the whole bag. so it was more of a casserole than a stew. still good, though. i plan to make your stew again but put in the proper amount of noodles. (-:
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read whole recipe first, though this is always a good idea, because all the times are VERY short.

Quick Shrimp Scampi

Quote:
By Alexis Touchet of Gourmet

Serves 4
Active time: 10 min
Start to finish: 20 min

1/4 cup olive oil
1 lb. peeled and deveined large shrimp
* * (raw; 20 to 25 per lb.)
4 large garlic cloves, left unpeeled and forced through a garlic press
* * (finely dicing and pressing the pieces with a knife edge works too)
1/2 teaspoon dried hot pepper flakes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 lb. capellini (angel-hair pasta)
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat parsley
* * (a few dashes of the dried stuff works too)

** Bring a 6-8 quart pot of salted water to a boil (use 1 to 2 tablespoons of salt per 4 quarts)

** Meanwhile, heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté shrimp, turning over once, until just cooked through, about 2 minutes, and transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.

**Add garlic to oil remaining in skillet along with red pepper flakes, wine, salt, and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add butter to skillet, stirring until melted, and stir in shrimp. Remove skillet from heat.

**Cook pasta in boiling water until just tender, about 3 minutes. Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water, then drain pasta in colander. Toss pasta well with shrimp mixture and parsley in large bowl, adding some of reserved cooking water if necessary to keep moist.

This has become our default scampi recipe. So easy, so quick. After a few times you're barely measuring because you're adjusting to taste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Cheese Burger.

1. Drive to Wendy's.
2. Place order, no pickles is my suggestion.
3. Enjoy.
sporko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiona: i am DEFINITELY trying that out with some squash from next weekend's farmer's market. i love the fact that you included a picture!

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad someone else is going to try it. It is soooo good.

And I'm camera happy at the moment. I'm glad the picture made you happy. Next time I make something tasty and post it, I'll try to remember to take pictures. My food won't be nearly as cute as jwing's (::sigh:Smile but I guess it does help to understand what is going on in the recipe. Oh, that particular squash had some more manchego melted on top which is why you can't see the risotto texture. I suggest the extra cheese because it is tasty.

mouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are from our diet study, but try them anyway, they are so extremely tasty you will forget they are also healthy:

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with A-Peel

1 cup sweetened dried cranberries (such as Craisins) or raisins
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 tablespoons honey or light-colored corn syrup
1 large egg
1 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour (regular whole wheat flour works well also)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups regular (not instant) oatmeal
1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375°. Combine cranberries and orange juice in a bowl; cover and let stand 10 minutes.
Beat the sugars and butter at medium speed of a mixer until light and fluffy. Add honey (or corn syrup) and egg; beat well. Stir in cranberry mixture.
Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add the oats, walnuts, chocolate chips, and orange rind; stir well. Add to sugar mixture; stir until well-blended.
Drop by level tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until almost set. Cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 4 dozen (serving size: 1 cookie) Each serving provides 85 calories, 2.5g fat (1g sat),7 mg cholesterol, 15g carbohydrates, 2 g protein, 1g fiber, 66 mg sodium, 50 mg potassium and 11 mg calcium.
andrew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the thread idea, but an index may be useful.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will probably become necessary if this thread goes on any length of time - darq, you started it, and the first post is the best place to have the index, so people can find it ...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
it will probably become necessary if this thread goes on any length of time - darq, you started it, and the first post is the best place to have the index, so people can find it ...

Yeah...that's probably a good idea...I'll put it above the first recipe and link all entries to their respective posts, but I'll wait until this gets to page two..or if I have more time later tonight, which ever comes first.
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The World's Most Stupidly Easy Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter (chunky, you freakshows)
1 cup granulated sugar (NOT powdered!)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl. Form into balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for ~ 10 minutes at 375°F. Allow to cool 5-10 minutes before eating.

For best results, use good peanut butter.
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Easiest Chicken Marsala Ever

2 lbs chicken breasts or tenderloins
8-12 oz white mushrooms (or more/less, depending on how much you like 'em)
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 bottle sweet marsala
salt & pepper
flour (optional, for dredging)

For this to work, you need to use a marsala that doesn't suck. If you wouldn't serve it in a glass, don't use it here. You can get away with "cooking" marsala in other recipes, but not this one, as the marsala will be the body of the sauce - note the lack of broth. You can find a decent bottle for ~$8 at most grocery stores.

Brine the chicken with with a 1:1 cup:tbsp water to salt solution for one hour prior. Slice/halve/quarter mushrooms as preferred - I recommend getting medium sized ones and leaving them whole.

In a separate pot, reduce marsala to about half the volume. Remove and rinse breasts from brine – don't forget to rinse or chicken will be too salty! Season with pepper and dredge in flour (optional), then sear. Remove and set aside - don't worry about keeping it warm.

Once marsala is reduced, add to the pan with the chicken and allow to reduce to half again. Add mushrooms and cream, combine; continue cooking until sauce thickens and/or mushrooms are done. If you're the impatient type, mix a little flour/corn starch with cold marsala and add.

Serve immediately, next to pasta tossed in olive oil and parmesan cheese or whatever.

Can add other traditional marsala vegetables, e.g. onions/tomatoes, as desired.

Last edited by andrew on Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a lemon-ranch chicken recipe I've been working on. My girlfriend and I are going to try a variant of it with a pressure cooker sometime this week. If it turns out well, I'll post the recipe. I'll even throw in a pic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: