welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sinfest recipe book (index pg. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17209
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:

Brine the chicken with with a 1:1 water to salt solution


is this right - as in, 1 c water + 1 c salt? can you even dissolve that much salt in that amount of water?
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snorri



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 10878
Location: hiding the decline.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
andrew wrote:

Brine the chicken with with a 1:1 water to salt solution


is this right - as in, 1 c water + 1 c salt? can you even dissolve that much salt in that amount of water?


Pretty much. Kitchen salt dissolves like a maniac in water, as opposed to sugar which doesn't. It's all a bunch of chemistry.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17209
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still - 1:1 seems like a lot. and it seems like a way more heavy-duty brine than usual.

i mean, we used to make corned beef, and we didn't use that much salt.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrew



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 4495
Location: the raging sea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
andrew wrote:

Brine the chicken with with a 1:1 water to salt solution


is this right - as in, 1 c water + 1 c salt? can you even dissolve that much salt in that amount of water?

No, it's a mistype - thanks for catching. It's a 1:1 cup:tbsp solution - forgot the latter half of that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17209
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_that_ sounds better - even with rinsing, i don't think you'd taste the marsala for the salt otherwise!

hm...think i have some marsala around....
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andrew



Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 4495
Location: the raging sea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make it, lemme know what you think!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lemontree



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3298

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Fiona:

Japanese-Style Curry .. as I figured it tonight.

Curry:
1 box of Golden Curry.. preferably Mild. I found it in my foreign foods aisle of my local Krogers.

1 large white onion.. actually only used 2/3 of it.

Several red potatoes.. the amount is unsure, I just tried to make them proportionate to the onions.

1 bag of baby carrots, just dumped some in the skillet til' the matched the onions and potatoes.

2.42 pounds of chicken breasts.. there were three in the package, and I cut off alot of the fat, but they seemed to equal out to the other ingredients.


Dump these initial ingredients in a large skillet.. mine was a deep dish 12". Add oil just enough to coat. Stir and Fry at Med. High heat til' most of the onions are golden brown-ish. Then add just enough water to reach the top of the ingredients in the skillet. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low - Med. Simmer for 10 minutes to help cook meat.

The golden curry mix I bought came as a block that broke into smaller bricks.. once the meat has simmered, add the broken up blocks of curry and stir into meat, veggie, water mixture to thicken.. then simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

Serve with accompanying side of sticky rice. Preferably use short grained rice. For rice cooking procedures, I follow the ones outlined on www.About.com under "Sushi Rice" minus the addition of rice vinegar, sugar and salt. I think it has a link on that page for Japanese style rice.

Anyway, dinner tonight was full of deliciousness and I was brought back to happy memories of my host-mom in Okinawa Japan making the same for me. ^_^ Its such comfort food! Let me know if you try it and what you think! Its nothing like the hotter styles from India.. though those are fantastic as well, of course.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10427
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry mmmmm...I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow...though we have boneless pork chops thawed but I figure they should work in curry too, right?
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything works in curry. That is the point!

Thanks for the recipe! Now I have to find decent curry. The Kroger around here is rather full of suck. Actually, that is the whole town but what are you going to do when you are stuck for university. ::sighs::

_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10427
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemontree: here? http://japanesefood.about.com/od/sushiforbeginner/r/sushirice.htm
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tiogshi



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 315

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwing wrote:
Tiogshi, i made that stew for dinner friday, but misread the recipe. instead of one or two handfuls of seashell noodles, i dumped the whole bag. so it was more of a casserole than a stew. still good, though. i plan to make your stew again but put in the proper amount of noodles. (-:

Ah, when I use Rotini I like the mixture to double in volume. An entire bag of Seashells is overkill, though. Smile

Might I ask what meat you tried? I'm always looking for a good new meat to try with this, since my girl can't stand sausage, ham is expensive, and chicken is too chewy when it's not too plain. Making this recipe "vegetarian" works fine, but it isn't nearly as filling, nor varied in texture.

Also... I must remember to post my mother's recipe for Disgustingly Rich Brownies.
_________________
(( Tiogshi Laj :: Average ASCII Artisan And Ambitiously Anachronistic Assonanteur ))
(( This post has been quad-ROT13 encrypted. Reading it violates the DMCA. ))
(( Fight me! ))
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eureka00



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 1994
Location: Pretzel City

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemontree wrote:
For Fiona:

Japanese-Style Curry .. as I figured it tonight.

Curry:
1 box of Golden Curry.. preferably Mild. I found it in my foreign foods aisle of my local Krogers.

1 large white onion.. actually only used 2/3 of it.

Several red potatoes.. the amount is unsure, I just tried to make them proportionate to the onions.

1 bag of baby carrots, just dumped some in the skillet til' the matched the onions and potatoes.

2.42 pounds of chicken breasts.. there were three in the package, and I cut off alot of the fat, but they seemed to equal out to the other ingredients.


Dump these initial ingredients in a large skillet.. mine was a deep dish 12". Add oil just enough to coat. Stir and Fry at Med. High heat til' most of the onions are golden brown-ish. Then add just enough water to reach the top of the ingredients in the skillet. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low - Med. Simmer for 10 minutes to help cook meat.

The golden curry mix I bought came as a block that broke into smaller bricks.. once the meat has simmered, add the broken up blocks of curry and stir into meat, veggie, water mixture to thicken.. then simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

Serve with accompanying side of sticky rice. Preferably use short grained rice. For rice cooking procedures, I follow the ones outlined on www.About.com under "Sushi Rice" minus the addition of rice vinegar, sugar and salt. I think it has a link on that page for Japanese style rice.

Anyway, dinner tonight was full of deliciousness and I was brought back to happy memories of my host-mom in Okinawa Japan making the same for me. ^_^ Its such comfort food! Let me know if you try it and what you think! Its nothing like the hotter styles from India.. though those are fantastic as well, of course.


I make Curry all the time with the Golden Curry boxes. It's great stuff. Now they even have microwaveable sauce packets so you can add it to whatever with out all the fuss, but I like the blocks better I think. If you wanna try something different, don't use the rice and cook up some ramen noodles (sans seasoning packets) instead. They're very cheap and cook up fast. Udon noodles are great in this too. I usually use the same veggies as Lemontree did too: potatoes, carrots, onion, sometimes green pepper.
_________________
Eureka00: "Reminding you of your addictions" since 1982.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lemontree



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3298

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
lemontree: here? http://japanesefood.about.com/od/sushiforbeginner/r/sushirice.htm


Yep! As well as here. ^_^

Eureka: Yeah I thought of trying portabello mushrooms in it next time, but then a friend of mine pointed out that they're strong flavor might unbalance the dish. What do you think? As for green peppers.. I can take them in small doses, but I don't think I'd really want to throw them in with the rest of my nummy curry. But thats just my own malfunction. =p I do really like the idea of the ramen noodles though and shall definitely try it in the future! (they'd be a hell of a lot easier than the fine science that is sticky rice, sans rice cooker)

Fiona: Of course it wouldn't be as fun because it'd take longer, but worse comes to worse you could always order some curry from websites like Asian Food Grocer. Also, here's the one I used last night, Golden Curry - Mild. But I was also told by friends that, Vermont Curry is supposed to be excellent because it adds an apple flavoring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10427
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I made the Golden Curry medium hot, it was good. I used 1 1/4 lbs. pork, 1 lbs.~vidalia onion, 1 lbs.~bell pepper, 1/2 carrots. I probably could have used almost 2 lbs. onion. The only bad thing was that it came out sweetre than I hoped and not quite hot enough.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Uncle Bebby



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 384

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main problem is that vidalia onions and bell peppers has a natural sweetness.

whenever I make curry I tend to add mixtures of curry powder into it before I finish everything up with the japanese curry cubes.

I hate thai curry, but some of them has such an amazing aroma that I can't help but want to use it... then I can't eat them because it made me poo lava.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group