welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The ESA Ponders Raping E3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: The ESA Ponders Raping E3 Reply with quote

ESA May Downsize E3

Gamespot News wrote:

GameSpot has learned that tomorrow the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) will announce changes to the format and scale of the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), the game industry event that typically draws in excess of 60,000 attendees and includes over 400 exhibitors.

On July 28, the Web site of UK trade magazine MCV reported discussions had taken place between the ESA and E3 exhibitors that addressed the future of the annual trade show. GameSpot spoke with informed game industry sources late Friday and Saturday and learned that the show would radically shrink in size and move from its usual Los Angeles Convention Center (LACC) venue to a smaller location.

Sources said that rather than fill the 540,000 square feet of the cavernous LACC, the show will take place at a location that would support exhibitors in meeting room space only, with companies showing their wares to a select group of attendees numbering in the hundreds rather than thousands.

One reason behind the downsizing of the show can be attributed to the dollar cost of the event to exhibitors, including the demands on companies to assign large numbers of staff to focus on the show, expenses associated with travel to the show, and the added expense to polish game builds and demos to be shown to attendees.

(more)

Emphasis mine.

Makes me wish I'd gotten off my ass and found a way to attend earlier.
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Vader Pose*
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Dusty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Who cares?
Dusty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the only way i would've been getting in was 4 years in journalism school. glad i dont have that to look forward to anymore.
WhupAs101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there any way to use extravagant amounts of money to get in without being involved in the industry before? I thought about trying to go before I heard about all this nonsense.
Mini J

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am disappointed still: I have wanted to attend E3 since I first heard of its existence back in the mid 90s (back when I was even more of a game nerd than I am today). I hope they don't change it too too much (perhaps an outcry or two may cause them to change their minds, who knows). I may consider joining the campus paper here simply so I can attend next year, if I must.
Marik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: BOOTH BABEZ Reply with quote

I had a friend who has been trying to get me to go with him, two years running -- over the years, it had become easier and easier for the completely unworthy (e.g. me) to breach the assuredly penetrable hull of E3.

But seriously, though, E3 was actively having a negative effect on games production.
Mini J

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While yes, it is/was perhaps fairly negative for the industry, I think it would have been an entertaining spectacle to attend, at least once.
WhupAs101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But seriously, though, E3 was actively having a negative effect on games production.

How so? Just curious, I haven't looked into it or anything.

Occurs to me like preparing for E3 was just as big if not bigger than the actual release of the game sometime.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: BOOTH BABEZ Reply with quote

Marik wrote:
a negative effect on games production.

how so?
Mini J

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and expensive. The big companies at E3 would spend millions and millions just on the one event. Considering that game production is a cutthroat industry with tiny profit margins for most companies, E3 was a huge drain on resources for almost any company other than Microsoft, Sony, etc.

Also E3 is/was bad because companies would focus so very intently on it: in producing a game, it was "let's get something that looks awesome for E3, then try and make a game that can meet what we showed off", instead of "let's make an awesome game, and then show it to the world when it's done".

I'm sure Sam will have a zillion more reasons: he's all erudite n' shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: