welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2007/12/17 - God Is Good
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: 2007/12/17 - God Is Good Reply with quote

hmm. A fairly typical ending, for an otherwise amusing arc.
I suppose though, that that's the point of seymour. to be typical.
Zonedout

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because In God We Trust
And God Trusts in Greed yeah
so long as they never show real blood on TV...

Remember Love others Love oneself
Azmoten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boring.
Sir Craigius

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right. Evil created himself. Time Bandits said so. And a movie with that many midgits and Sean Connery in it can't be wrong.
N 101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: One thing leads to another... Reply with quote

So, if God didn't create the Devil, who did??
Azmoten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want to go there, then if God didn't create God (since this isn't possible), who did?

But if I recall correctly, the Devil was originally an angel. Created by God. But then he "fell" and became the Devil that we know and love.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N 101 wrote:

Azmoten wrote:
But if I recall correctly, the Devil was originally an angel. Created by God. But then he "fell" and became the Devil that we know and love.

As far as I understand things, the fall of Lucifer came about because angels, apparently, have a sense of pride and self-determination. Some of the angels were unhappy about god's decision to grant free will to the humans, because then they would have a similar status to the angels, who were god's first creations.

However, if you want to argue about if god created the devil, then it's likely to be 'no' - god created no angel with a "seed of evil" within him, but rather with free will, and that angel then chose to rebel. That's god off the hook then.

Some website wrote:
God could have destroyed Satan when he first rebelled. But the rest of His creatures would not have understood, not having seen the consequences of Lucifer's course of action. Instead, God allowed Satan to demonstrate what the universe would be like under his authority. The results are written across the pages of human history. When the demonstration is complete, God will safely be able to eliminate Satan without running the risk that His other creatures will serve Him out of fear. Satan is a defeated foe.
Secret

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tat always uses the smokestack as an example of evil/flaws. I wonder why.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:

Erm, polluting the atmosphere/ruining the planet, maybe, as well as factories being the obvious symbolism for rampant consumerism? I reckon Tat's a closet environmentalist. His characters are often in the countryside or surrounded by greenery, and when in a city, it's more often than not full of XXX signs and polluting smoke stacks. Add to this the fact that God usually appears in the cloud over a green hill while the Devil is often seen with cars, skyscrapers, and factories at his disposal...

Last edited by filecore on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secret wrote:

and it's typically in conjunction with a skull and crossbones, stars, lightning bolts, and the word "war".

the subtlety of it all confounds me!
KDX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

filecore wrote:
N 101 wrote:

Azmoten wrote:

As far as I understand things, the fall of Lucifer came about because angels, apparently, have a sense of pride and self-determination. Some of the angels were unhappy about god's decision to grant free will to the humans, because then they would have a similar status to the angels, who were god's first creations.

However, if you want to argue about if god created the devil, then it's likely to be 'no' - god created no angel with a "seed of evil" within him, but rather with free will, and that angel then chose to rebel. That's god off the hook then.

Some website wrote:
God could have destroyed Satan when he first rebelled. But the rest of His creatures would not have understood, not having seen the consequences of Lucifer's course of action. Instead, God allowed Satan to demonstrate what the universe would be like under his authority. The results are written across the pages of human history. When the demonstration is complete, God will safely be able to eliminate Satan without running the risk that His other creatures will serve Him out of fear. Satan is a defeated foe.

Off the hook until you ask the obvious question. Whose fault is it they had free will in the first place? God. So in the end, it's a really amusing hypocrisy on the part of God to tell us not to be "bad" when he could have prevented the matter from coming up in the first place.

If you want to get even more specific, you could even say that the act of creating beings with free will and then setting them loose upon the world was the act of original sin. In essence, God commited the first act of evil when he created the potential for evil to exist.

Now that's just a scary notion.
kame

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

filecore wrote:
Secret wrote:

Erm, polluting the atmosphere/ruining the planet, maybe, as well as factories being the obvious symbolism for rampant consumerism? I reckon Tat's a closet environmentalist. His characters are often in the countryside or surrounded by greenery, and when in a city, it's more often than not full of XXX signs and polluting smoke stacks. Add to this the fact that God usually appears in the cloud over a green hill while the Devil is often seen with cars, skyscrapers, and factories at his disposal...

Wither might I find your magical crystal ball wherein I can discern character traits via a fictional comic?

KDX wrote:

If you want to get even more specific, you could even say that the act of creating beings with free will and then setting them loose upon the world was the act of original sin. In essence, God commited the first act of evil when he created the potential for evil to exist.

What's scary is that some people take such issues seriously.
filecore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
Wither might I find your magical crystal ball wherein I can discern character traits via a fictional comic?

1) It's not a fictional comic. It's a real comic, portraying fictional characters.
2) The colloquial "I reckon" was intended to imply the expression of my opinion, rather than a statement of fact. I am sorry if my over-complex linguistic expression has managed to confuse you. I shall endeavour to direct my comments toward the lowest common denominator in future.
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comic is so...true.

YenTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDX wrote:

Off the hook until you ask the obvious question. Whose fault is it they had free will in the first place? God. So in the end, it's a really amusing hypocrisy on the part of God to tell us not to be "bad" when he could have prevented the matter from coming up in the first place.

yes, one could have created a universe full of mindless obedient robots. Apparently that wasn't what was needed.

KDX wrote:

And thus makers of guns or video games are evil, as they are creating a 'potential for evil'.

KDX wrote:

meh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: