welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8th March 2008 - Redemption Center

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashke

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: 8th March 2008 - Redemption Center Reply with quote

Hahah, recycling salvation =)
Sir Craigius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Ezekiel poking his head out of the church door?
Brain.Damage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the most bizarre strips I've ever seen.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you 'merkins really call it a "redemption centre"? In that case I can understand Seymour's confusion - I'll stick to "recycling", thanks.
A.N.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

filecore wrote:
Do you 'merkins really call it a "redemption centre"? In that case I can understand Seymour's confusion - I'll stick to "recycling", thanks.
Same 'ere. We continental Europeans also call it 'recycling'. But if our American friends want to call it 'redemption'... Well, whatever floats their boat, it's fine for me Smile
netsplit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always called recycling. Some states have bottle deposit. However we call it bottle deposit not redemption in Michigan.

*checking a conveniently placed pop bottle* It says ME-VT-CT-MA-HI-NY-OR-IA 5 MI 10 CA CRV.

Looking it up, CRV means Cash Redemption Value.

Looking it up on wikipedia they fricken charge sales tax on their bottle deposit. That'd piss me off. It's not really a sale if they're just holding on to the money for you.
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I'm a "Merkin" and I've never noticed a "Redemption Center" on any bottles. I have a few in recycling and they all have the recycle sign with the words "Please Recycle".

However there are states that take back cans and bottles fo a few cents a piece and they refer to "Redemption Centers" for redeeming the bottles for cash. But the bottles pretty much just say "Cash Refund 5Cents ME-MA-NY ...."
netsplit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard anyone call em "Redemption centers" in Michigan, nor when I was in Rhode Island and took cans back to Massachusetts. In MI we're supposed to take it back to the place of purchase, but most people just take their bottles back to the closest store that sells that brand. It all evens out anyway. When you buy pop here your deposit gets sent to some Michigan gov office or something. Then when you return your bottles the store sends em to that office and they pay the store back.

I think Redemption Centers are a California thing.
filecore

Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: PHP error in MySQL at line 46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every single bottle produced in Finland or imported into the country in large quantities has return value; almost all whisky, wine, vodka bottles, most beer cans and bottles, all fizzy drinks bottles etc - a small fizzy bottle (500ml) is 20 euro* cents, large (1.5l) is 40 cents, small beer bottles (stubbies, 33cl I think) are 15 cents, small cans (33cl) are 15 cents, large cans (0.5l) are 30 or something - it's a good system. It's very profitable to return all your old bottles, almost regardless of what they are. Even apart from that, though, recycling is a big thing here; most houses have three bins under the kitchen sink; biowaste, mixed waste (=plastics) and paper waste. Most people also collect glass, metal, and batteries seperately too - every social centre (shopping centres etc) has collection points for those.

* yes, the official spelling of the currency is lowercase and singular
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting. i am familiar with the term 'redemption center' - i've seen things (i think) on bottles, etc, about "california redemption value" - but i always say 'recycling', and it looks like the places that you take this stuff to seem to be called 'recycling centers'. i did a google map search for 'redemption centers' in my area, and came up with stuff about gold and silver redemptions, redemption centers for cars (which, from the context, sounded like the guy was redeeming a car that got towed) - and this:
Quote:
REDEMPTIONS | Preferred Redemption Centers
Preferred Redemption Centers are stores authorized by Upper Deck to help customers handle their redemptions and provide customers with an exceptional level of service. The biggest benefit to redeeming your cards through a preferred redemption center is that they will be initiating the first phase of the new Upper Deck 45 day turnaround on redemptions. If you redeem your cards through a preferred redemption center, after the card has been in the system for 45 days and has not been fulfilled then you will be able to request an exchange. We have worked diligently to make a Preferred Redemption Center available for most areas and we will be adding new shops as time goes on to include areas that do not currently have a preferred redemption center.

which sounds really wonderful, but i'm not sure what it's exactly for, exactly.

still, i found the cartoon funny. then again, i always had fun with the concept of "saved"...went through a stage when i would shout "hallelujah!" when i saved my programs. fortunately, it was short-lived.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: