welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lieberman is on the way out, it seems.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoySetsFire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Lieberman is on the way out, it seems. Reply with quote

it looks like Lieberman is OUT in Connecticut. he's about 4% down to Ned Lamont in the Democratic Senate primary, with all precincts closed.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/08/democratic.primaries/index.html

Lieberman is vowing to run as an independent in the fall even if he loses the primary, which has got a bunch of folks worried that he'll split the vote and maybe hand his seat over to Republican. he already has enough signatures on a petition to get on the ballot, so it'll be interesting to see if the Dem brass clamps down on him.

also, Rep. Cynthia McKinney, the lady who scuffled with a security guard in D.C. because she wasn't wearing her ID pin is also losing a runoff by a lot.
CopperTop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accourding to the Hartford Courant, Joseph Leiberman conceded the Democratic primary to his opponant at about 11:00 PM EDT, but vows to continue the fight by running as an independent in the general election in November.

Perhaps Mr. Leiberman doesn't understand that the citizens of Connecticut are not interested in being represented by someone that doesn't share their views on a major issue, such as the deployment of US troops in Iraq.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted in the primary today. Very Happy I better hear that all of you vote in the general election in November, too.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: lieberman more like LIEberman am i rite ... wait, .. Reply with quote

Ha ha, Lieberman is so totally going to Bull Moose the Democrats.

Way of the world. A two-way split will give the seat to the Republican contender, even with a safe margin of plurality.

It's because we don't use instant runoff voting, which is in and of itself because we're retarded.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CopperTop wrote:
Perhaps Mr. Leiberman doesn't understand that the citizens of Connecticut are not interested in being represented by someone that doesn't share their views on a major issue, such as the deployment of US troops in Iraq.

Perhaps Mr. Leiberman is unwilling to go against his own principles just because his constituency doesn't agree with him.

-Slick
Major Tom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. leiberman has been hedging his bets since he ran for senator and vice president at the same time.

he should finally go soak.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
CopperTop wrote:

Perhaps Mr. Leiberman is unwilling to go against his own principles just because his constituency doesn't agree with him.

Mr Lieberman is elected into office to represent the will of his constituency, not stand on his own principles. Thats something an awful lot of people forget about politicians. I for one dont give a rats ass what you believe personally, its all in whether or not I think you'll represent what I think that determines if a candidate gets my vote.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Kilgore wrote:
CopperTop wrote:

Mr Lieberman is elected into office to represent the will of his constituency, not stand on his own principles. Thats something an awful lot of people forget about politicians. I for one dont give a rats ass what you believe personally, its all in whether or not I think you'll represent what I think that determines if a candidate gets my vote.

And I'm not interested in being represented by a man who's a gutless poll-driven ethical chameleon.

I can't help but think constituencies would be better served by principled men whose views the admire than by men whose every stance is determined by how it might hurt or help their chances for reelection.

I'm not saying that the democrats in Connecticut should re-elect Leiberman if they don't feel his views represent them, I just don't think Lieberman should be faulted for doing what he thinks is the best thing for this country simply because he risked his job by doing so.

-Slick
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to why that is. While taking a stand on an issue can be a good thing, these people ARE elected to represent the will of the people. In Lieberman's case he ceased representing the will of the people he was elected to represent, so they voted him out. Choosing to run as an independant is simply an act of arrogance in his case. He's not ready to give up his cushy and power filled job. If he REALLY cared about the will of the people, he'd have ran as an independant from the get-go rather than waiting until he was defeated in the primary election. Perhaps i just dont trust a group of people aged 60+ to properly represent the younger mass of their constituancy. For the most part they fail to grasp a lot of the technological advances the country has had since they were young (Internet tubes lol!). Yet there they are making laws about it.
Amilam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I donít think itís particular fair to compare Ted Stevensí understanding of the 21st Century (which must terrify him daily) to LeibermanĎs. I also donít think that the will of the people is voiced in the primaries. Iím getting awfully tired of the ďpoor, beleaguered Joe LierbermanĒ routine from the right (not you Kilgore, but those who do it purely to try and label all on the left as extremists). Iíve seen some far right nut jobs comparing it literally to fascism. Personally, for the sheer sake of comedy Iíd like to see Lierberman nominated as the Democratic Presidential Candidate. Just to see how quickly Fox News and other conservative outlets can swallow their tongues.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey -

it's not so much that politicians are elected to be the will of the people...

...it's more that politicians are supposedly elected because their own beliefs (as reflected in their compaign and platform -- or, at least, that's as it should be) agree with the will of the people.

the problem is that politicians avoid saying anything (but perhaps lies) during campaigns, so nobody knows what a politicians stands for or believes in until some company pays enough to make up his mind.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: VIDJO GAMES = DEVIL Reply with quote

Quote:
And I'm not interested in being represented by a man who's a gutless poll-driven ethical chameleon.

I can't help but think constituencies would be better served by principled men whose views the admire than by men whose every stance is determined by how it might hurt or help their chances for reelection.

I don't think I'm agog over the sentiment, but I don't think I get it, either --

Systemic ideal of representational legislation is that the legislators must ostensibly represent. By nature of the system, that's how they get and keep their seats.

But I'm fortunate in the sense that I could have cared less about Lieberman's stance on the war -- I'd have jackbooted him out of office based on his domestic positions, especially on electronic entertainment alone. The man's a little crazy over stuff like video games.

Also wasn't a fan of his support of vouchers, gun removal programs, Alberto Gonzales' infamous memo regarding the Geneva Conventions, or his support of an anti flag-burning amendment.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no sympathy for Lieberman - he's not the country bumpkin taken advantage of by big city swindlers. He's a Washington politician through and through. It's a dirty game, politics, and he didn't come out on top in this one. The (democratic) people of Connectict have voiced their opinion.

That being said, I am idealistic enough to not fault him for running as an independent. Values are important and people (voters) should have options. I despise the partisanship of our current system and hear all too often Democrats saying on the one hand how Republicans are sheep who follow their leaders, corrupt the political process, rubber stampers, etc. and then turn around and say Joe should drop out because he'll hurt the Party.

I'd love to see a Democratic Congress, I'm just sad to see values (of either party) fall under the wheels of the political machine.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: IRAQ SUCX Reply with quote

Yeah, they call it the "Liberal inquisition."

I wouldn't be inclined to agree were it not for the fact that his replacement is essentially a one-subject sort of guy, in presentation.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as of yet, he is "not the recipient of the judas kiss"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: