welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Flights Halt on Suspicion of Terrorist Activity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
Not really. A small bomb, expecially placed near the wall of the cabin, especially near the wings, would cause not only rapid and probably devastating depressurization, but could cause enough structural damage to cause the airframe to fail.

Well learned something new today then, thx JinX
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are also some explosives that pack a pretty big punch for their size. the radio this morning was saying al qaeda had been experimenting about 10 years ago with bombs made of cotton soaked in nitroglycerine and set off with a battery and a casio watch.
jwing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents left yesterday for England (via Newark) and my twin leaves Saturday. After the tournament, they were going to fly to Rome and take the train back to England and then fly home in September.

I hope they make it home okay.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like they caught people well before the bombs were actually assembled - so they should be experiencing nothing but inconvenience. (and possible serious b.o., since people can't carry on shampoo, toothpaste, deodorent, shaving cream - and apparently the san diego airport checkers aren't even too sure about soap).
Jinx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but how many people actually shower on the plane? They could move the stuff to their checked bags, or buy new on the other end.

Just sayin' . . .
jwing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents brought two carry-ons. After the competition, they're putting the larger rolling device in an airport locker and living out of their rucksacks for the week-long adventure on the continent. They don't have anything to 'check in'.

I just think the whole thing is a stupid over-reaction.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the intention was to use liquid bombs mixed in the planes’ toilets on ten UK flights to America. The arrests were made long before any plot got put into action but it was slightly scary to wake up hungover and hear the words “bombs” and “planes” on the radio.

I’m always up in arms when anti-terrorism measures impinge on people’s freedoms, but when they’re merely an inconvenience I don’t think you can object. I heard things were largely back to normal today, and people were being allowed to take on hand-luggage contained in clear plastic bags but they’re now talking about a permanent change in the rules following this.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish terrorists would stop with this shit, it’s really irritating.
Azmoten

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when they start hiding things inside their own bodies, like drug runners? Just go to the bathroom, puke it up, and go?

Are they going to make a no stomach-contents rule, then?

Why does terrorism control our lives? What are these people hoping to prove by blowing up planes? Killing innocent people?

I hate this whole frikkin situation, basically, as I'm sure pretty much everyone does...It's just so stupid.

*Sigh*
mouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at work yesterday, one woman was saying that if she was a suicidal female terrorist, she would totally get breast implants and replace the saline with chemicals so she could just stab herself and have them explode.

this was after a discussion that the airport security types were allowing people to take things like baby formula on, if the person carrying it was willing to take a sip to prove it was safe - and the realization that, if you are about to blow up a plane thus guaranteeing yourself a fiery death, you were unlikely to worry about drinking a toxic chemical, as long as it didn't incapacitate you immediately.

really, you can't do much with people who are so determined to kill lots of people that they will kill themselves as well - unless you can persuade them that staying alive makes more sense.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is, if a woman can get breast milk onto a plane if she's willing to drink a bit of it first, why can't I do the same thing with a flask of whiskey?

-Slick
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeeeecause breast milk isn't flammable all by itself?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
Beeeeecause breast milk isn't flammable all by itself?

I dunno.
I hear... stories.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been someone who has breastfed two children before, I can say that pretty much the only way to use it as a weapon would be to squirt someone in the eyes.

Granted, that would be pretty darn distracting, but not incapacitating, I think.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
Having been someone who has breastfed two children before, I can say that pretty much the only way to use it as a weapon would be to squirt someone in the eyes.

Granted, that would be pretty darn distracting, but not incapacitating, I think.

Ok lots of weird images coming from this post now...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: