welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sports Thread: Olympics, Euros, Professional Yatzhee ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 155, 156, 157  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reasonablymad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be watching the us open today and tomorrow. I love watching golf. it's my meditation garden.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
what about portugal?

It's a small Iberian nation, culturally thirty years behind the rest of the world.

They might win.
reasonablymad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger woods!

for a minute there I was rooting for rocco mediate because he is an underdog and from pennsylvania, and he's kinda fun and funny, but then woods just does all this crazy shit and people are like omg wtf.

edit: nevermind. rocco's not from pennsylvania. I don't know why I thought that. what a jerk.

Last edited by reasonablymad on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Taylorbell wrote:

To digress: Seedorf ... I still don't understand. So many medals, so many championships, clearly highly valued by some of the most astute coaches in the game ... and yet he's always seemed sulky, pedestrian and over-rated, like bad hummus. I hate sulky hummus.

Yeah, as much as I admire him for being a great footballer, I don't think he would fit in in the team as he's a troublemaker. He always knows better, which is not very good for the team.

When I first heard the news that he wouldn't go, I thought it was bad, but now I'm beginning to realise him not being in the team is a good thing.

reasonablymad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rocco is from pennsylvania after all. I wish they'd get their stories straight.

tiger forces playoff monday!

lee westwood, representing england, failed to birdie at the 18th. no one cried.

I think an 18 hole playoff is too much. what if they tie again? other tournies have three hole playoffs. you don't have to kill everyone to get a winner.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell of a game 5 in the NBA Finals. The Lakers manage to hold off another big Celtics rally to send the series back to Boston. A clutch steal by Kobe Bryant that lead to him getting a fast-break dunk was the biggest play at the end.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Taylorbell wrote:
[q

any predictions on Sweden against Spain? Zlatan to perform the way he ought to? Spain to crumble after one good performance the way they love to?

We were seconds from scoring a point. granted I wasn't all that suprised that we lost, it is just the manner which angers me. It's all the referies fault!
Anyway we may still make it if we beat russia, or even if it's a 1-1, but from what i've seen russia playing they shouldn't be underestimated. I really hope we win though. the game against Greece was great.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reasonablymad wrote:
rocco is from pennsylvania after all. I wish they'd get their stories straight.

tiger forces playoff monday!

lee westwood, representing england, failed to birdie at the 18th. no one cried.

I think an 18 hole playoff is too much. what if they tie again? other tournies have three hole playoffs. you don't have to kill everyone to get a winner.

i heard about that. they were calling it an overtime on the radio. doesn't the first person scoring win in overtime? also, have they spend 4 whole days just playing 18 holes? 'cause at that rate, they'll be playing this one till next year.

man, and i thought baseball was slow.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
We were seconds from scoring a point. granted I wasn't all that suprised that we lost, it is just the manner which angers me. It's all the referies fault!

Anyway we may still make it if we beat russia, or even if it's a 1-1, but from what i've seen russia playing they shouldn't be underestimated. I really hope we win though. the game against Greece was great.

I agree that Sweden lost in an unfortunate manner. They're not the team of '92, just a well-drilled, discplined side. And with Zlatan and Kallstrom in the squad they have the potential - often unrealised - to create a goal from nothing. Spain, despite their obvious talents, were made to look very ordinary. Aside from the two goals, they did very little of interest. Which is one way of saying that, if they hadn't have scored two good goals, they wouldn't have scored two good goals.

I've always had a soft spot for Sweden, but after his season in club football, I hope the previously suspended Arshavin, of Russia, gets a chance to shine in more than one game. <----- lot's of clauses in that poorly written sentence, eh?
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger woods wins open.

they are calling it a 'sudden death' win, but also say it was the 19th hole. how sudden is that?
thegrimspectreofreddeath

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a full 18 hole playoff which resulted in a tie. They then moved to "Sudden Death" playoffs.
Pontupo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, that US Open finish was freakin' nuts. I was watching a stream from work with the folks in Sales... seriously exciting and a fantastic way to procrastinate.

I don't usually follow golf (I really would like to actually play the damn game at some point... but it's so bloody expensive and -seriously- hard to break into when you're in your mid-twenties and never played before), but that was a very exciting finish. I couldn't help but root (sp?) against tiger because you just gotta love the underdog... but that guy is really a god. Definitely an awesome fight to the finish.
reasonablymad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse, a major championship such as the open begins on thursday with a round of 18. they play another 18 holes on friday, after which the combined scores are tallied, averaged, etc. and the cut is made. players who make the cut play 18 holes on saturday and another 18 holes on sunday. thus the total number of holes played, barring a playoff, is 72. yesterday tiger and rocco played a fifth round of 18 holes. they both finished at even par. so it went to sudden death, which is one hole at a time, as many as necessary, until someone puts it in one stroke less than the other. so, this particular year the u.s. open went 91 holes. tiger finished at 1 under par, rocco - even.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to think anymore. A team with people like Melchiot and Affelay beat Romania 2-0, ok, sure! why not. Italy and France lost to the same team. HOW THE FUCK CAN ITALY AND FRANCE LOSE AGAINST A TEAM THAT WOULDN"T MAKE THE DUTCH TOP 20 seriously wtf is going on here.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boston Celtics are NBA champions for the 17th time in franchise history after delivering a dominating 39-point victory, defeating Los Angeles 131-92. Paul Pierce is deservedly named the Finals MVP. Darn good time to be a New England sports fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 2 of 157

Jump to: