welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fox News Inescapable
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah. It is the fact that Fox says they are a news network when they aren't. No journalist could get away with the shit they do. It is depressing. We need more news stations. 5 major news networks that control just about every bit of news you hear in the us (particularly on TV) isn't healthy.

'Course I would just ask the establishment to change the channel next time. It is important to teach kids that not everything on the "news" is presented correctly.

MsFrisby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah.. i do believe it was O'Reilly spoiling my meal. I mean, cletus, if you had to sit in a restaurant, eating a meal you'd paid for, and then got a surprise captive showing of some Michael Moore film, don't you think that you'd be a little unhappy with your dining experience?
cletusowns

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsFrisby wrote:
yeah.. i do believe it was O'Reilly spoiling my meal. I mean, cletus, if you had to sit in a restaurant, eating a meal you'd paid for, and then got a surprise captive showing of some Michael Moore film, don't you think that you'd be a little unhappy with your dining experience?

I don't really get the Michael Moore jab as i've watched most of his movies anyways. However, since you asked.. it wouldn't ruin my meal in the slightest. Who watches TV while eating at a restaurant anyways? I thought the whole point of eating out was to enjoy a person's company.

The reason I like Fox News now and then is that they show more of both sides of a story. Hearing something good about Iraq and the troop interviews they do are pretty interesting. Really though I am not defending their actual shows but dismissing the entire network because one show doesnt fit your political palate actually made me grin.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the issue I have with MOST cable news, though Fox news is particularly bad about it. They segue from news programs into pundit programs near seamlessly, in fact MOST of their shows are pundit programs. Pundits are some of the most useless TV personalities in existance, their existance contributes to the american habit of allowing others to form their opinions for them rather than looking at the information themselves and coming to an opinion on their own. Pundits are notorious for spinning and twisting or flat out ignoring information that doesnt support the agenda they want to push. We'd be better off without them.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cletusowns wrote:
The reason I like Fox News now and then is that they show more of both sides of a story.

Bwhahahahahahaha! Oh wow... ::wipes her eyes:: Good one!
cletusowns

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
cletusowns wrote:
The reason I like Fox News now and then is that they show more of both sides of a story.

Bwhahahahahahaha! Oh wow... ::wipes her eyes:: Good one!

Sorry if I don't really care to be constantly depressed. But okay, reply like a raving idiot that works too. lol. I'd have gone more capslock happy though and maybe one or two less 'ha'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: fawx nooz am i rite Reply with quote

Fox News wouldn't ruin my meal in the slightest, either. If anything, I'd watch more intently.

The reason I jab them is because of their transparent grab for a new paradigm in mass newsmedia: the ideological equivilant of comfort food. The news, presented the way that's the most politically and mentally digestable for right-wing sorts.

In doing so, they became the most testably misleading news network. They seed a lot of incorrect sentiments, re: the ticker headline about hezbollah potentially having Iraq's WMD???? Omg??????
Kilgore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Bah. It is the fact that Fox says they are a news network when they aren't. No journalist could get away with the shit they do.

Ever heard of William Randolph Hearst?

My folks watch a lot of Fox News. I myself am up in the air as to whether O'Reilly or Hannity and Combes is harder to stand. O'Reilly's phenominal ego is difficult to stomach, but the "discussions" on Hannity and Combes devolve into tiresome shouting matches so often that I'm not sure how anyone can watch it.

I actually used to enjoy Fox News, my gradually increasing inability to stand it has been a pretty good barometer for the shift towards the center that I began just before the 04 elections.

-Slick
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love O'Reilly. I think the guy should be on everyday. Just him and Sean Hannity, together, and let them say whatever they want. With the crew from Fox and Friends. On Comedy Central.

I'm kind of confused by Fox's trademark - "Fair and Balanced" - when the network launched with O'Reilly, Hannity and Ailes (who consulted for Reagan and Nixon and worked on Limbaugh's show)...
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: SNOWJOB LOL Reply with quote

The tagline was intended actually as part of Snow's resume as future White House Spokesperson for GWB.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politics in general make me lose my appetite.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm okay with politics, but I think modern punditry is as nauseating as it is civically damaging.

-Slick
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, there's a difference?

Dictionary.com wrote:
pun·dit P Pronunciation Key (pndt)
n.
A source of opinion; a critic: a political pundit.
A learned person.
Hinduism. Variant of pandit.

Oh, right.
Dr. Awkward

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in a family that damn near mastered the art of bullshit, I learned to filter bullshit pretty quickly. As a kid, I could tell when Ninja Turtles threw in some actual martial arts philosophy or techniques and when it was just entertaining garbage. I haven't been to Mexico, but I can recognize authentic Mexican food when I have it. Easier than detecting bullshit: recognize the difference between objective and subjective information.

When I watch any news, I'm constantly filtering out the bullshit. I barely even notice that I do it anymore. Most news sources are full of it, but there is still information to glean from any of them. It may not be the information they intended you to glean from it, but it is still valuable information. It's only when I hear bigotted information that I have had enough. "Black people = looters, white people 'find' food in a grocery store" for example, from coverage of New Orleans flooding last year was enough for me to stop getting any of my information from that particular source.

On a somewhat related note: in doing a bit of research for a class last year, the news source that I've found to be the least biased/opinionated was one that very openly identifies itself as a Palestinian news source, and not a "World" news source like many others. electronicintifada.net
Amilam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox New’s bias is so well known these days that it seems redundant to talk about it. Even most conservatives admit the coverage on Fox News is practically hand picked by the Republican Party. What I find frustrating about Fox News though is how low they have set the political bar. Since Fox News’ inception you have the other cable networks using increasingly vitriolic pundits. Like Mcdermott said, pundits are just a group of repugnant scum with enlarged scream holes to compensate for no frontal lobe. It’s endlessly amusing though how the Right complains about actors feeling we should listen to them just because they are actors and then props up ex radio DJs, botanists, and rag tv hosts. You have some liberals wanting a far Left cable channel for “balance”. I don’t want my news spoon feed depending on my political persuasion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: