welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fox News Inescapable
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lily

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Awkward wrote:
Growing up in a family that damn near mastered the art of bullshit, I learned to filter bullshit pretty quickly. As a kid, I could tell when Ninja Turtles threw in some actual martial arts philosophy or techniques and when it was just entertaining garbage. I haven't been to Mexico, but I can recognize authentic Mexican food when I have it. Easier than detecting bullshit: recognize the difference between objective and subjective information.

When I watch any news, I'm constantly filtering out the bullshit. I barely even notice that I do it anymore.

Rolling Eyes i would just like to point out that you come off as a completely self-important jackass in this post. bragging about being able to recognize authentic mexican cuisine? please. that has pretty much nothing to do with recognizing bias in the media.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Awkward wrote:
Growing up in a family that damn near mastered the art of bullshit, I learned to filter bullshit pretty quickly. As a kid, I could tell when Ninja Turtles threw in some actual martial arts philosophy or techniques and when it was just entertaining garbage. I haven't been to Mexico, but I can recognize authentic Mexican food when I have it. Easier than detecting bullshit: recognize the difference between objective and subjective information.

Objectivity is a largely relative, frequently illusory, and arguably impossible goal.

Quote:
When I watch any news, I'm constantly filtering out the bullshit. I barely even notice that I do it anymore. Most news sources are full of it, but there is still information to glean from any of them. It may not be the information they intended you to glean from it, but it is still valuable information. It's only when I hear bigotted information that I have had enough. "Black people = looters, white people 'find' food in a grocery store" for example, from coverage of New Orleans flooding last year was enough for me to stop getting any of my information from that particular source.

Which news source exactly did you stop getting information from? Because those captions appeared on two completely different news wires, as astute observers pointed out and anyone who followed the story past the point at which it validated their own righteous indignation surely recalls.

I'm afraid my own bullshit detector just went off.

-Slick
Amilam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are feisty tonight. He was a little self congratulatory, but honestly I didnít think it was anything much.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You guys are feisty tonight. He was a little self congratulatory, but honestly I didnít think it was anything much.

He went on at length about his own skill at sussing out bullshit and "objective" truth in news reporting and then made it clear that he completely bought into the PC ire generated by a story that was shown shortly after it was written to be based on an incomplete understanding of events. If that doesn't deserve calling out, I don't know what does.

-Slick
Dr. Awkward

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The source was Yahoo news, and all the captions were on the same site. They have long since changed the captions, most likely due to sentiments similar to my own. I have no doubt that other news sources were guilty of the same thing, but I noticed it on Yahoo.

As far as getting offended over me talking about being able to recognise bullshit, that's just ridiculous. If I had made some statement along the lines of "you can't do this, too, that's how great I am" then you would have a legitimate reason for feeling offended, but I didn't. This is something that *anyone* is capable of. This is not a "lie detector" ability, as a lie is something that is meant to deliberately mislead. Bullshit is when the source either doesn't care, or doesn't know and is bluffing. Bullshit lacks support, and it's easy enough to recognize when something lacks support. All it takes is waiting to accept data until you hear it substantiated from other sources.

I'm sorry if I can't help but be a little upset at what I feel are unwarranted remarks.
lily

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still don't see what your ability to recogn]ize authentic mexican food has to do with anything.

sorry for being snarky, i just picked up a certain tone from your post that really grated on me.
Dro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to Mexico, but even I know that authentic Mexican food uses lots of grated Monterey Jack cheese and never cheddar.
Uncle Benny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*jots that down in his notebook*

less... cheddar...

but what about sour cream?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
cletusowns wrote:
The reason I like Fox News now and then is that they show more of both sides of a story.

Bwhahahahahahaha! Oh wow... ::wipes her eyes:: Good one!

Actually, it is quite true!
Major Tom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and they call it queso

queso
Uncle Benny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh...

'que?
smeat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Uncle Benny is a bot designed to defuse heated arguements on the forum. Not that that means we love him any less, in fact I for one welcome our Benny bot overlords.

Sorry tired joke.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." †- Ray Mummert, creationist, Dover Pennsylvania, 2005
Dr. Awkward

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lily wrote:
i still don't see what your ability to recognize authentic mexican food has to do with anything.

sorry for being snarky, i just picked up a certain tone from your post that really grated on me.

I can see how that analogy might seem unrelated. It's the same basic principal, but applied in a completely different context. Being able to recognize authenticity is the same thing, whether it be in food or in words. News sources often don't care if the information they report is accurate, figuring that they might get accurate information later, just report something now. Other times, they may actually care, but get bad information and report that. It's easy enough to spot "don't know" or "don't care." Besides, if you really want to know something, check into it yourself. I mean, all of this, by my own definitions, is bullshit until you hear from another source saying, "Yeah, he can do that," or until you try doing the same thing that I claim to do. "Have I heard this from another source?" "Have those sources proven to be reliable in the past?" "Does this contradict what I already know?"
kame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Awkward wrote:

I can see how that analogy might seem unrelated. It's the same basic principal, but applied in a completely different context. Being able to recognize authenticity is the same thing, whether it be in food or in words. News sources often don't care if the information they report is accurate, figuring that they might get accurate information later, just report something now. Other times, they may actually care, but get bad information and report that. It's easy enough to spot "don't know" or "don't care." Besides, if you really want to know something, check into it yourself. I mean, all of this, by my own definitions, is bullshit until you hear from another source saying, "Yeah, he can do that," or until you try doing the same thing that I claim to do. "Have I heard this from another source?" "Have those sources proven to be reliable in the past?" "Does this contradict what I already know?"

It's really like anything else, you sort of circle news like an airplane coming in for a landing. You try and get the best overall picture you can, and the further you go along, the easier it becomes to find news sources more interested in reporting news than the latest Mel Gibson scandal *. Eventually you find two or three sources that are consistently accurate when reporting the news, and go with that. I would not put any of the 24 hour news services on that list.

You could bankrupt just about every useless news source, or force them to actually investigate as opposed to report, if people just thought a bit more critically about where they get their information.

I think I'd watch Fox News as part of a drinking game ... I'm pretty sure what they say makes a lot more sense when you're drunk.

* In a moment of rare levity for Fox News, an anchor actually stated, 'Who cares about Mel Gibson?' I wish I knew what happened to him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: