welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Collected Tales of Awesome People
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: The Collected Tales of Awesome People Reply with quote

Trans-forumed, but I like topics that make me happy.

When I was 8 or 9, two of my neighbors and I decided it would be a killer idea to open a lemonade stand. After all, the money could go to candy or, if we were REALLY successful, Magic cards Rolling Eyes.

We had a lemon tree growing our backyard, and my mom sent me out to pick everything ripe off the sucker. She spent a good 5 hours cranking out lemonade; the end result was two enormous coolers full of the stuff, along with a pitcher and a stack of 50 paper cups. Our plan was 25 cents a cup.

Our plan hadn't factored in that we lived in a cul de sac. The street our street intersected ALSO ended in a cul de sac. We were also in a suburban area away from any major streets, in the tiny little hellhole I remember as Makakilo (anyone from Oahu will be able to tell you that Makakilo has NOTHING IN IT. No one drives through there, ever).

Long story short, we sat on the sidewalk for a good two hours doing nothing but drinking our own lemonade and throwing sticks and leaves at each other. We had a blast, but didn't make a dime and were starting to feel pretty salty about it. With no foot traffic, our prospects were pretty dim.

There was, however, a single construction worker building an addition to the house across the street. We were ignoring him until he said, loudly, "BOY is it hot out here! I SURE WISH I had SOMEthing to DRINK!"

He didn't even glance at us, just kept working in the hot sun. My neighbors and I sat there, until they decided to pick up the pitcher and a cup and walk over.

They got about halfway before hiding behind a car instead.

Now, Mr. Construction must have noticed this, because he spoke again: "Man, in all this hot weather, I SURE COULD USE SOME LEMONADE."

My neighbors didn't move. Construction workers - nay, adults, period - are scary! Finally the construction worker wanders past the car and turns, pretending to be surprised. "Holy cow, kids! With lemonade! Are you guys...SELLING IT by chance?"

My neighbors just stared at him. Finally I shouted from across the street, "Yeah, just take some, it's free."

"Oh, now, that's no way to do business." The construction worker unlocks the car my neighbors were hiding behind, rummages, and produces a five dollar bill. We give the poor guy his lemonade (and a "free" refill), and he goes back to work without comment.

My neighbors and I spent the rest of the afternoon thinking we were the coolest thing since Boyz II Men.

Anyone else have a noteworthy encounter with an awesome human being? It doesn't have to be something spectacular ("my UPS guy saved my marriage!"), just an instance where someone went out of their way to be extra-awesome to you for no particular reason.
Drui

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome story. Very Happy

I will have to put some thought into this and try to remember some good ones, but for now I'll mention the little thrill I get every time someone does something nice on the road. Like flashing their lights to let you know there's a cop over the hill, or letting you in at a particularly tough merge.
crossbow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was in japan, staying in a tiny mountain town with my grandparents and great grandparents, i went for a walk barefoot through the mountains. i was wearing a bright red sweater, and so i was clearly visible, up on the path, to two old women who were chatting on the street. when i got to the road, i heard one of them calling for me to wait (in japanese, obviously) and as i turned around, i saw one of the tiny women scampering after me, holding a pair of her own shoes that she had fetched from her house for me. i dunno, i just thought it was cool that she didn't think "eep! a foreigner! how ugly/scary/wierd/alien" like everybody else, she just thought that i was a dumb kid who needed shoes. and it's likely, in that town, that i was the first non-japanese person she'd ever seen.

old japanese women are my heroes. one bought me dinner and stalked me for an entire evening, telling me how god meant us to be together, another picked flower petals out of my hair sitting behind me on a bus, and 2 naked old women in a hot spring made my day by exclaiming over how pale my own naked body was >.<

the lemonade guy was awesome, btw. you tell good stories. i love stories.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 15 and we had moved to Rogers, Arkansas only a few months before. I had braces at the time, and had only been to my new orthodontist two or three times. My mom dropped me off at my appointment, double checking that I knew how to get to the high school afterwards. I was pretty certain I did, and assured her I could. It was about 7 blocks away with a little diagonal movement required.

After my appointment, I headed in the direction I thought would take me the fastest to the high school. Not the L shape, but more of a zig-zag to try and short cut. I got lost. I got lost in a residential area. No gas stations presented themselves. No stores or any other publicly available place where I could stop and ask for directions. It was in the morning of a workday. No one was outside.

I walked and walked and walked. Desperately trying to find something familiar. Someplace I could ask for directions or to use a phone. I was not very familiar with the town yet. I hadn't learned how to drive yet, which is one thing that gives you a stronger sense of streets and where you are. My feet hurt. I was not wearing shoes that were up to a many mile hike. I took them off and walked barefoot, my backpack slung over my shoulder and feeling heavier and heavier. The houses started getting further apart, bigger lawns.

And then, I saw it. The thing that made me lose it. "Now leaving Rogers City Limits." I screamed in frustration and fear. I threw my shoes. I threw my backpack on the ground and sat on it for a minute. I wiped tears away. I took a deep breath, picked up my shoes, put them back on and picked up my backpack again.

I walked up to the front door of the nearest house. I knocked on the door and hoped someone was home. Someone was. A lady in her sixties answerd the door. I explained that I was lost and needed to use the phone to call for someone to get me and take me to school. Could I please use her phone, just for a minute?

She was uncertain, wary, I suppose of a trick of some kind. But I had nothing to hide, and she trusted that I didn't. She let me in. I tried to call my mom, but just got her voice mail. I gave her the number of the place I was calling from. We waited for a little while for her to call back. Me, exhausted, but nervous being in a total stranger's house. I sipped on a soda she offered me to drink. Her husband watched golf on television, seemingly unaware that there was anything unusual going on. After a few minutes, she asked me again where I needed to go. I told her that I just needed to go to the high school. Then she offered me a ride over there. I accepted. She drove me there and asked if I'd be alright. And I said yes, thank you so much for driving me over here and helping me.

She smiled and drove away. And I never saw them again.
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, I have zillions of amazing stories of people who have done awesome things to help me. Sometimes, I wonder if I have all this terrible luck just so I can meet them.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so this didn't happen all that long ago, really. Last winter, in fact.

I was driving through a rural part of Minnesota after a visit. I wasn't totally familiar with the area and kind of vaguely knew that I had a turn coming up, but wasn't sure where. I drove and drove, the weather was not very good at all, the small twisty roads usually had snow drifting over them. I wasn't too extra concerned, I'd driven through worse after all.

I started to realize I'd completely missed my turn and was now headed south instead of west. A little panicked I look for roads to turn around on... nothing. Finally I make it to this tiny little town. God only knows what it was called, all I remember was the sign that said "Population: 32"

I found a tiny little gas station/grocery store/diner and wandered in. There were about six people in there, and they all turned to stare at me. It was about that time I realized that my hair was electric orange. I sorta groveled, hoping desperately they wouldn't refuse me help. I asked for directions.

They said I'd missed my turn about ten miles back and that I should take this one shortcut... One of the patrons of the restaurant section cut them off though, saying the roads were far too bad for me to take that shortcut. Finally they tell me to keep going down the road I was on and I'd find a turn eventually. Worst. Advice. Ever.

I drove and drove down this completely unfamiliar white road. Signs are practically non-existant and I was getting more and more freaked out. I kept passing roads with no signs, or with really non-descriptive signs. I was so worried I was going to miss my turn. Made it to a railroad track that somebody was actually outside working on it. I got out and asked for help again. The guy wasn't very helpful, he didn't seem to know anything about the area. Then this massive semi pulls up behind my car. I was starting to freak out a little, and the prospect of this huge semi pushing against me the whole rest of the way was not an appealing one. Then the semi driver comes out, and its the guy from the restuarant who told them not to send me on a scary tiny road! He told me to follow him and he'd show me my turn.... and he did. He got me to a much larger town that was nearish the one I needed to get to.

Maybe its kind of a lame story, but he was my hero. He didn't have to be nice to the lost little orange haired girl.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last new year’s eve, I got separated from my friends at around 11.40 pm, lost and stuck in a huge static crowd that would hold me in this boring lonely place ‘till midnight. I thought all hope was lost.

Then came the Frenchman. And French though he may have been, he might as well of been wearing a red cape and his underwear on the outside.

He started up a conversation out of nowhere, and took my mind off the fact that I was going to have the lamest new year’s eve ever. Then, after I had explained my problem, he asked me to work out in what direction my friends would likely be, and I indulged him and worked out the probable direction of Trafalgar square. But with ten minutes to go, and a crowd so thick it would be like trying to walk through drunken concrete, no human being could make it over the bridge in time.

He was not having this.

He took my hand, lowered his head, and charged. We moved through the worst crowd I’d seen since the millennium at a run, knocking tourists flying. We didn’t quite make it to tralfagar, but it turned out neither had my friends, we found them on the bridge minutes before midnight. I climbed on top of a wheelie bin, fell through the top just as the clock struck, and by the time I climbed out the frenchman was gone. I never even got to thank him.

So sudden was his presence, so single-handedly did he improve the start to my year, and so mysteriously did he disappear, for a minute I believed in French guardian angels.
jwing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first and only time I decided to walk home from high school (so I could spend the afternoon at the cool deli on the waterfront of the bustling metropolis that was Poulsbo (the cool deli stocked toblerone before it was cool to do so, and many other fascinating imported goodies, including the ultimate in gum, Stimoril. Sigh)) About a third of the way to the downtown area, which was halfway to my house, the skies opened up and poured. No, it teemed. I have been drier in my showers, or the pool. Of course I had neglected to bring a coat of any kind. I sighed, dropped my head against the (extreme) humidity and trudged onward. Halfway to downtown, a car pulled over, the door opened and a female voice commanded, "Get in."

Tired (for I had forgot how far it was to downtown, even downhill) and soaked, I numbly got in the car. The stranger took me to the deli (she was going there anyway) and bought me a steamed eggnog. She refused to let me pay for anything. She was going to take me home but the rain let up before I was done with my drink and I was able to walk home without getting too much wetter, warmed by the hot beverage and the kindheartedness of the lady.
Natashabi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the middle of May I was walking home from my old middle school where I volunteer as the assistant to the choir director. It started out as a beautiful walk (it's about a mile and a half). About two or three blocks into it, there was a light drizzle but I didn't mind because it was hot and the rain was cool and felt nice. Gradually, the rain got heavier and slowly turned to hail. I was stuck and frightened and found the only shelter I could under a small tree. I was in tears, sobbing and curled up in a ball. After a few minutes of continued hailing I couldn't even think, and it didn't stop.

Then, like a hero in a fantasy story, my knight in shining armour, riding his white steed (in this case a very nice man in a shimmering white H2) pulled over and let me (drenched as I was) get into his leather-interiored gas guzzler and took me the rest of the way home in the hail and flooded streets.

Yes, I'm sure this sounds like a very romanticised version of the story but I assure you, at the time, that's how it felt.
Bart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be wrong with stealing such a thread Andrew, it's a marvellous one. The only problem is that i suck at story telling, but here goes.

Every year the senior students at our high school go on a weekend with their clas and clas teacher. Our clas had decided to go by bike, as it was only some 40 kilometers. We had everything prepared, we knew the route we were going to take, one of the parents was going to bring all the bagage to our destination (Awesome person number one actually, but we'll get back to her later on) and we had brought everything to mend flat tires, even a spare one so we wouldn't lose to much time.

You can see it coming don't you, we were just 10 kilometers away when someone stupid (me), managed to flatten his tire. And of course i was the only one to ride a mountainbike so we couldn't use the reserve tire. So we were stranded in the middle of nowhere, with just one old house beside the road. Lukily for us some nice man lived there who was outside before we had even asked for help. It still took us 20 minutes though, as we were all hopelesly inept at mending flat tires.

We found out how inept as the tire got flat again some kilometers further at the worst possible time. We were in the middle of a forest, still some 5 kilometers away from our destination. When we got out of the forest we called the parent that took care of the bagage and asked her to return to pick me up. She was almost back home, but agreed to come back.

So that was two awesome (our at least very friendly) people in one.
andrew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart wrote:
What would be wrong with stealing such a thread Andrew, it's a marvellous one.

I started it both times; I just don't like duplicating my fora efforts too much, it makes me feel lazy.

Thanks everyone for sharing. A lot of really awesome stories! I've taken to reading this thread when I wake up, and it starts my day right.
Willem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart wrote:
Tire story

"Meh" to flat tires. You can drive a while with them, before you break your wheel. I drove 10km with a flat tire, once. Mind, I did nearly fall off the bike.
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Bart wrote:
Tire story

"Meh" to flat tires. You can drive a while with them, before you break your wheel. I drove 10km with a flat tire, once. Mind, I did nearly fall off the bike.

please note: do not try this with a motor vehicle tire. you will regret it. get off the road ASAP and either change it or get help.

I got a flat once in the pouring rain. It was a narrow road and I had to go about half a mile before I could get off of it. So I'm by myself in a school parking lot trying to change a tire for the very first time in my life, in the pouring rain, this guy in a Volvo wagon pulls up and says "I'll help you with that" and does. He had one of those "Good Sam" stickers in the car window.

Okay, so it's not that great a story.
Bart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's exactly the kind of story we're looking for actually, but well, you didn't tell much of a story.

Come on, rewrite that thing and ad some drama.
kame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least throw some titty in there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: