welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "They Play Football in the States, Too" Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: And here the nfl song plays Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, strategy in the war games sense of revolutionary war strategy compared to modern warfare strategy, where everyone lines up nice and neat for every play vs having to watch constantly moving targets and being ready to switch instantly from defense to offense when the opponent makes an error. Unimpressed...rugby is the superior physical game, soccer is the superior thinking mans game.

I know you totally like to rag on American football, but you are making some delightfully suspect arguments against it. There's not a single position you are taking that I'm not inclined to dissect. I kind of think it's all wrong.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
Rhet Bomar, I believe, was the name of their starting Quarterback. He started last year as a very highly-touted but rough around the edges Freshman and ended up putting together a decent year. He was expected to have a great season this year and with a more than solid suppoting cast (including a Heisman candidate at Running Back) Oklahoma was #5 in the the preseason coaches poll.

While his name is still Rhett Bomar, he will no longer be the starting quarterback. He was apparently working at a car dealership and being paid for hours which he didn't work. The end result is an NCAA violation and he was kicked off the team. A starting guard was doing the same thing and was also kicked off the team (though since the O-line is much less glamorous than quarterback, less attention has been given to this). The los of these two players effectively ensures that Oklahoma will have another mediocre season.

People are highly critical of the coaching staff for not keeping a closer watch on their players and preventing things like this from happening. I don't know how much you should blame the coach (I happen to think Bob Stoops is a pretty stand-up guy), but he certainly seems to be catching much of the flak.

ah - so much the same sort of stupidity as they have been caught out for in the past. ou has some pretty staunch alumni - some of whom are quite happy to spend any amount of money any amount of ways to get a winning season.

i don't know how much a coach can do to counteract that, but as i recall, stoop has a history with ou...one would have thought he might be on the lookout for that sort of thing. or at least make sure his players knew what sorts of things would get them disqualified.
Bart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Feh.

Basketball for the win.

I think i must agree on that one.
I'd wish my leg wasn't injured, it sucks to miss the start of the season.
dazedb42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australian rules football for teh win.. A game played by real athletes.

and the West Coast Eagles for premiers in '06 WOOT!!11!
Sklent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guccipiggy wrote:
Shame on you for making me click on this thread under false pretense! Or however you spell pretense.

I demand you add the word 'American' to the title of this thread.

"The 'They play American football in the States, too' thread"?
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazedb42 wrote:
Australian rules football for teh win.. A game played by real athletes.!
Totally ripped off Gaelic.
But with a rugby ball.

No debate on the real athletes part, though.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on that note, congrats vic!
Snorri

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why?

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dublin advance with ease
Saturday, 12 August 2006 7:31

Dublin were rarely tested at a packed out Croke Park as they won through to their first All-Ireland SFC semi-final since 2002, beating Westmeath by 1-12 to 0-05.

and I was there for the party :p
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>.>
<.<

I knew we were being spied upon!

Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to watch rugby games and all that but my feeble North American Mega Media does not cater to people like me and I cannot view such events without paying them an arm, half a leg, and naming rights to my first-born child.

I can, however, watch or listen to the Packers Play. While it's only preseason, I panicked a bit after their disasterous performance last week but yesterday they allayed many (though not all) of my fears. Their passing game and defense were both much-improved, but the running attack still need work. Hooray for (American) football!

On the College football front, the Iowa Hawkeyes (for those not in the know, see avatar) are rated 16th and 17th by the AP and Coaches respectively and I can't wait to pick up my season tickets sometime next week. #1 Ohio State Come to Iowa City September 30th in what looks to be the biggest College game I will ever see. Le joy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: