welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sinfest knitting club!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: sinfest knitting club! Reply with quote

calling all experienced, inexperienced, and wanna-be knitters! there seem to be a lot of us, so i really think we should start a knitting club. and i really, really, think our first project needs to be a pirate hat. because i just finished mine, and it's a really fast easy knit - readily doable by beginners, but open to infinite variations by the individual knitter (you don't even have to use the goofy fluffy yarn). and see how good it looks on angelina!

ok, so it's a little big for her. here's a better view:

this is a nice fast project, you could probably finish one in time for halloween. and face it, if the economy keeps going the way it is, piracy may be the one growth industry left! and you want to be properly dressed, right?

the hardest part is joining the cast-on stitches to knit in the round, and i have some tips that will help. it's a felting project, which may be a new skill for experienced knitters, and which covers any little goofs inexperienced ones might make. and did i mention it was quick?

you need more to persuade you? fine. here's an actual picture of me, actually wearing my actual hat, and showing an extremely tiny bit of my actual face. so there you are - knit with me, and i may reward you by showing you further bits of my actual self, modeling the projects!*

so, me hearties - what say ye? be ye with me? arrrgh!

*no, we will _not_ be knitting lingerie.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG ::hyperventilates::

::falls over::

::gasps:: You are blonde! Somehow I expected a brunette. And are those green eyes? ::swoons::

I have no idea how to knit. Do carry on.

picturesofsky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgive the knitting thread on account of the actual glimpse of actual mouse's actual real face. It's not even christmas!
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crowd demands more ! MORE!
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always expected red hair tbh.
mouse wrote:

Did you throw it in the air and take a picture of it?

Lingerie made out of yarn sounds... interesting.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I missed it?
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I should've studied less :(
Celaeno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My office won't let me see the picture! The link leads me to a SurfControl page. Mrrr.

On topic: I may participate if my crocheting skills get better.
Flion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: sinfest knitting club! Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
*no, we will _not_ be knitting lingerie.

But knitting stockings is easy and useful. Especially in places that get snow. On the other hand, a girl I know knitted me a 'willy-warmer' which sounds cuter than it is. Let's not do stuff like that.

Despite the fact that I can, and will, knit socks and slippers, I'm more of a vicarious knitter. A girl I've known for a long time knits and spins her own yarn. She's done a lot of preemie hats and baby sweaters for donation but she also does larger projects. I have a sweater that she knitted me 16 years ago and also a vest. I've seen her do a cable sweater and the cable pattern was in color (for those that don't know cable, it's basically a raised pattern in the knitting; doing it in color is just masochistic).

Anyway, from her I learned the knitter's definition of sex: Stash Enhancing eXpedition. If her closets ever catch fire ... *shudder*
jwing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in. i'm supposed to be working on my Pratchagan (knitting an afghan, one square at a time, inspired by Mr Pratchett's books. one month, one book, one square. this month, being the first, is "Color of Magic") but if it's as easy as you say it is, mouse, i'll try knitting a pirate hat.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:

::gasps:: You are blonde! Somehow I expected a brunette.

my mother always called me a 'dark ash blonde', but really, it's just light brown. it seems to be getting blonder because of the swimming (gotta love that chlorine!).

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Did you throw it in the air and take a picture of it?

yes. yes, i'm just that good.

jwing - trust me, it really is a cinch to knit (bet the winglets would love making one - do they knit?) i checked my journal - i started the hat 3 oct, and finished knitting it 12 oct, but most of that time i was working on something else. i would guess - maybe 8 hours, total, for the knitting? size 13 needles, worsted yarn - as i say, once you get it joined, it just cruises right along. and i'm really getting into the felting. it's quite amazing to see it go from this big floppy thing to this lovely thick solid hat with an actual shape, pretty much just in a wash cycle.

and we don't have to all do the same projects, this could just be a support group. but if we do projects, i was thinking basically small, unisex sorts of things - socks, hats, scarves stuff like that. (even stockings - in my book, stockings don't count as lingerie. i'm just not modeling any g-strings.) stuff any of us could make for ourselves, or make for other people. crocheters are welcome too! (i'm currently crocheting a sort of feather for my hat; i feel i may be neglecting my crochet skills, so i wouldn't mind doing some crochet projects). and hey - the way to get your skills better is to just do it - so really, all skill levels, feel free to join in!
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh oh, if its a support group kind of thing I want to join. Knitting kills my wrists but I recently started crocheting a shirt. Its a really big project for me O.o;

That's a really neat pirate hat, though. I like the idea of knitting one, it's so inapropriate and better because of it.
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, I'm interested.

I've been knitting for more than a year and am fascinated by making stuff. Also fascinated by handpainting yarns, which I've been doing lately.

At the moment, I'm knitting a Gryffindor scarf for my sister as an early b-day present. Pure garter and already up to four feet. I'm pleased with it.

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have all the stuff to try dying yarn with kool-ade, now i just need some time.

you have got to try felting, joey, especially with multicolored yarn.
jwing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add to the madness:

jumping on the NaNo WriMo bandwagon, November is also NaSwe KniMo, national sweater knitting month. With NaNo, you write a novel with 50K+ words; with NaSwe, you knit a sweater with 50K+ stitches.

i'm actually debating doing this. it would be a simple sweater, quite possibly a holiday gift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 1 of 47

Jump to: