Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In the World of They're Going to Kill Us All!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrees

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: In the World of They're Going to Kill Us All! Reply with quote

(there were two ItWoS XLIIIs)

Source

Quote:
Packs of robots will hunt down uncooperative humans

The latest request from the Pentagon jars the senses. At least, it did mine. They are looking for contractors to provide a "Multi-Robot Pursuit System" that will let packs of robots "search for and detect a non-cooperative human".

One thing that really bugs defence chiefs is having their troops diverted from other duties to control robots. So having a pack of them controlled by one person makes logistical sense. But I'm concerned about where this technology will end up.

Given that iRobot last year struck a deal with Taser International to mount stun weapons on its military robots, how long before we see packs of droids hunting down pesky demonstrators with paralysing weapons? Or could the packs even be lethally armed? I asked two experts on automated weapons what they thought - click the continue reading link to read what they said.

[Both were concerned that packs of robots would be entrusted with tasks - and weapons - they were not up to handling without making wrong decisions.

Steve Wright of Leeds Metropolitan University is an expert on police and military technologies, and last year correctly predicted this pack-hunting mode of operation would happen. "The giveaway here is the phrase 'a non-cooperative human subject'," he told me:

"What we have here are the beginnings of something designed to enable robots to hunt down humans like a pack of dogs. Once the software is perfected we can reasonably anticipate that they will become autonomous and become armed.

We can also expect such systems to be equipped with human detection and tracking devices including sensors which detect human breath and the radio waves associated with a human heart beat. These are technologies already developed."

Another commentator often in the news for his views on military robot autonomy is Noel Sharkey, an AI and robotics engineer at the University of Sheffield. He says he can understand why the military want such technology, but also worries it will be used irresponsibly.

"This is a clear step towards one of the main goals of the US Army's Future Combat Systems project, which aims to make a single soldier the nexus for a large scale robot attack. Independently, ground and aerial robots have been tested together and once the bits are joined, there will be a robot force under command of a single soldier with potentially dire consequences for innocents around the corner."

What do you make of this? Are we letting our militaries run technologically amok with our tax dollars? Or can robot soldiers be programmed to be even more ethical than human ones, as some researchers claim?

Last edited by CTrees on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh

Mini J

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they haven't seen the movies.

Oh well. I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the hundredth time

they're going to kill us all
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH SHIT

COMMUNIST ROBOTS!?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gives me visions of Niven's Motie warriors.

Science fiction thought experiment: If pseudo-autonomous militarized droids work their way into law enforcement and an innocent person dies as the result of a bug (eg. operator error is ruled out), can/would charges be brought against the programmer responsible for the bad code? More and more we are going to use technology to externalize decision-trees that used to require a human, and for which a human has always been held legally responsible. As that technology becomes increasingly autonomous, to what extent will we hold coders responsible for decisions they did not make, but inarguably caused?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could hold both the police department and the manufacturers responsible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan wrote:
Gives me visions of Niven's Motie warriors.

I was thinking more like the hound from Fahrenheit 451...

Creepy either way.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I suppose you could hold both the police department and the manufacturers responsible.

That's when the real finger pointing fun would begin with one saying that a faulty product was delivered while the other would claim that the product was misused.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan wrote:
Science fiction thought experiment: If pseudo-autonomous militarized droids work their way into law enforcement and an innocent person dies as the result of a bug (eg. operator error is ruled out), can/would charges be brought against the programmer responsible for the bad code? More and more we are going to use technology to externalize decision-trees that used to require a human, and for which a human has always been held legally responsible. As that technology becomes increasingly autonomous, to what extent will we hold coders responsible for decisions they did not make, but inarguably caused?

Wow this is like a lawyerly-minded passenger on the titanic was musing about whether or not icebergs could be charged with polluting the atlantic with free-floating desk chairs left after a collision it doesn't matter don't you see it doesn't matter you're all dead they killed you they killed us all
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think Sam has robot issues.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Asinfest.net+%22they%27re+going+to+kill+us+all%22&btnG=Search

http://www.sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1115&view=previous&sid=6432aa0625229015f0ecdd9ba6ff9c91
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we made robots that could read minds.

When we made robots that ate meat to sustain themselves.

When we made robots that simulated the soft breathing of charming japanese girls.

When we made robots that attempted to replicate themselves using organic salvage in the same year that we started seriously researching robots to care for the elderly.

When we had incidents of robots 'accidentally' labeling humans as bacon.

When we had computers exceed their programming to escape confined deathmatches and start rudimentarily investigating the exterior world.

When we decided that a 'multi-robot pursuit system' project that hunted down noncooperatives by detecting breath and heartbeat radio waves was a good idea.

I was there.

I saw.
Darkman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Wow this is like a lawyerly-minded passenger on the titanic was musing about whether or not icebergs could be charged with polluting the atlantic with free-floating desk chairs left after a collision it doesn't matter don't you see it doesn't matter you're all dead they killed you they killed us all

Not if John Conner has anything to say about it.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkman wrote:
Sam wrote:

Not if John Conner has anything to say about it.

John Conner is so close to my real name its scary. Coupled with my unnatural hatred for robots and the impending robot apocalypse.

Im pretty sure, not positive, but pretty sure Im destined to be the savior of mankind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: