welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favourite sweets?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drui wrote:
Jennifer Saunders singing Holding Out for a Hero. :}

Do you have my house bugged or something? That's exactly what's playing right now.

Thank you all for your replies!

Let's see, I should request Fox's Classic bar and/or McVitie's chocolate covered digestives. (aren't penguins those candies in the tin that you see at the checkout stands at grocery stores?)

Thanks for the link, JAG. Mmm, my list is getting longer and longer all the time. I hope I have enough space to bring it all back! Definitely getting Smarties, some maple syrup, and eat-more.
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have smarties here, but I have no idea if they're the same.

The best sweets are sherbert dips, milkybars, rowntrees, chocolate coins, those little candy milk bottles and coke bottles, flakes, crunchies, humbugs, curly-whirlies, drum sticks and liquorice. I have no idea how many of these are uniquely English but I recall that they fucking rock.
Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwing wrote:
Drui wrote:
Jennifer Saunders singing Holding Out for a Hero. :}

Do you have my house bugged or something? That's exactly what's playing right now.

Thank you all for your replies!

Let's see, I should request Fox's Classic bar and/or McVitie's chocolate covered digestives. (aren't penguins those candies in the tin that you see at the checkout stands at grocery stores?)

Thanks for the link, JAG. Mmm, my list is getting longer and longer all the time. I hope I have enough space to bring it all back! Definitely getting Smarties, some maple syrup, and eat-more.

Nope, they're these bars called Penguin Bars.
nathan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teh Digital Dragon wrote:
...crunchies, humbugs, curly-whirlies...

You guys have way better candy names than we do, and that makes me sad.
Guccipiggy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3 crunchies!
Drui

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan wrote:
...crunchies, humbugs, curly-whirlies...

You guys have way better candy names than we do, and that makes me sad.

I know... Peanut butter cups? Peppermint patties? Jeez, can we be anymore straight and narrow? Even our brand names are trash... I mean, Milky Way? Snickers? Ehhhh.

Wink
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree - those names are seriously cool. i would buy all of those, and the sherbert dips and rowntrees, just for the names. i wouldn't even care what they tasted like - i would just keep the wrappers - with the names.

i mean, seriously, how can you resist something called a curly-whirly? granted, it probably isn't a cork-screw shaped thing that twirls madly until eaten, but still...don't you just want to see it, just so you know?
Idlethought

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twix
Twix Ice Cream Bar
Snickers
Snickers Ice Cream Bar
Skittles
Skittles ice cream...oh wait they dont have one
Starburst
Sour Power Straws
Laffy Taffy (GIRL SHAKE THAT LAFFEH TAFFEH!)
Teh Digital Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i agree - those names are seriously cool. i would buy all of those, and the sherbert dips and rowntrees, just for the names. i wouldn't even care what they tasted like - i would just keep the wrappers - with the names.

i mean, seriously, how can you resist something called a curly-whirly? granted, it probably isn't a cork-screw shaped thing that twirls madly until eaten, but still...don't you just want to see it, just so you know?

They’re basically eight foot long braided strands of caramel dipped in chocolate. They were my favourite when I was little 'cause they're big enough to club someone over the head with and only cost 15p.

Apparently they now come in a variation called curly-wurly-squirlies. I’m not sure I could ask for a bag of curly-wurly-squirlies in a shop.
Drui

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

They’re basically eight foot long braided strands of caramel dipped in chocolate. They were my favourite when I was little 'cause they're big enough to club someone over the head with and only cost 15p.

Apparently they now come in a variation called curly-wurly-squirlies. I’m not sure I could ask for a bag of curly-wurly-squirlies in a shop.

It would take some serious self-assurance, I think! Razz

You know, hearing the names of UK candies makes it really easy to imagine how J.K. Rowling came up with the magical candies in her Harry Potter books.
bun bun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEAR DROPS!!!!!!!!!!

also, rhubarb and custard penny sweets. i love those. they don't cost a penny each anymore, sadly.
Zanthina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guccipiggy wrote:
Fox's classics.
Penguins.
McVitie's chocolate covered digestives.

But yeah, Fox's Classic Bar.

When I was in London I bought some Penguins at Sainbury's. They were the awesomest cookies hands down. Definitely get some Penguins.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

eight feet of caramel and chocolate?......

you know, that makes up for the non-twirling bit.
Halen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a curly-whirly the other day. They're still brill.
rebecacaca

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawberries bon bons, white mice, mint imperials (or everton mints), and definately get some sherbert dips (I'm going to have to go and buy myself one now...).

But if you're more interested in chocolate/biscuits, you have to get some penguins, chocolate hobnobs, curly wirlies and a proper kit kat (not the "chunky" kind)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: