welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Katherine Harris: At it again!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Katherine Harris: At it again! Reply with quote

Quote:
Harris Clarifies Comments on Religion

MIAMI (AP) - U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris told a religious journal that separation of church and state is "a lie" and God and the nation's founding fathers did not intend the country be "a nation of secular laws." The Republican candidate for U.S. Senate also said that if Christians are not elected, politicians will "legislate sin," including abortion and gay marriage.

Harris made the comments - which she clarified Saturday - in the Florida Baptist Witness, the weekly journal of the Florida Baptist State Convention, which interviewed political candidates and asked them about religion and their positions on issues.

Separation of church and state is "a lie we have been told," Harris said in the interview, published Thursday, saying separating religion and politics is "wrong because God is the one who chooses our rulers."

"If you're not electing Christians, then in essence you are going to legislate sin," Harris said.

Her comments drew criticism, including some from fellow Republicans who called them offensive and not representative of the party.

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., who is Jewish, told the Orlando Sentinel that she was "disgusted" by the comments.

Harris' campaign released a statement Saturday saying she had been "speaking to a Christian audience, addressing a common misperception that people of faith should not be actively involved in government."

The comments reflected "her deep grounding in Judeo-Christian values," the statement said, adding that Harris had previously supported pro-Israel legislation and legislation recognizing the Holocaust.

Harris' opponents in the GOP primary also gave interviews to the Florida Baptist Witness but made more general statements on their faith.

Harris, 49, faced widespread criticism for her role overseeing the 2000 presidential recount as Florida's secretary of state.

State GOP leaders - including Gov. Jeb Bush - don't think she can win against Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson in November. Fundraising has lagged, frustrated campaign workers have defected in droves and the issues have been overshadowed by news of her dealings with a corrupt defense contractor who gave her $32,000 in illegal campaign contributions.

The good news is that it looks like her campaign is in trouble. Very Happy Should we play the "Spot the Bullshit" game? One at a time please.
I call Straw Man fallacy: "common misperception that people of faith should not be actively involved in government" is a bullshit persecution complex of the sort fostered by the Idiot Religious Right, thinking that people of faith are under attack from OMG TEH SECULARS 'N LIBERALS who want to keep Christianity down so they can advance their sinful agenda!
Feel free to point out the myriad other things wrong here.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this yesterday on DailyKos... I think Harris is a FalwellBot that went off a few months too early.

In the full transcript she gets a bit more into her slippery slope about when we don't elect Christians we necessarily legislate sin.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Katherine Harris: At it again! Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Harris had previously supported pro-Israel legislation and legislation recognizing the Holocaust.

how nice for her...

...i assume she asked god for forgiveness, afterward.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I was looking for yesterday:
Quote:
08/17/06
FL 13: FRONT-RUNNER HUDSON'S RACE PROBLEM. The leading Republican candidate to replace Rep. Katherine Harris' (R) seat in the U.S. House is GOP activist Tramm Hudson. That is, he was, up until this afternoon.

RedState, a conservative leading blog, posted a video of Hudson speaking to a group of voters, describing some of his military training (Hudson, an Army veteran, was stationed in Germany in the late 1970s). Describing a particular bridge-building exercise, Hudson is seen in the video saying:

Quote:
"I grew up in Alabama; I understand, I know this from my own experience, that blacks are not the greatest swimmers, and may not even know how to swim."

Erick at RedState predicted, "His words will, justifiably, mostly likely destroy his campaign and sink his chances of victory."

Hudson apologized this afternoon, explaining that he had said "something stupid."

Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Katherine+Harris+crazy
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Just... wow.
What will it take Florida to go Democrat?
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a fairly solid record of voting Democrat in Senate races, oddly enough. Bob Graham, my old Senator, was a D in office from 1987 to 2005. Will Nelson's in his third term. Graham's successor, Martinez(R), is just finishing his first term.

Of 25 Reps, 7 are Dems currently. In the early 90s, half were Ds, though. Sad
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Katherine+Harris+crazy

"wait, wait, don't tell me!" was talking about that this weekend.

although i don't think it should be limited to "overly optimistic estimation of someone's chances of achieving success" - clearly she takes crazy _much_ further than that.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People aren't playing! D:

"If you're not electing Christians, then in essence you are going to legislate sin."

There's so much wrong here I don't know where to begin. Even finding the appropriate fallacies is pretty tricky. We have Appeal to Fear, conversely we also have Appeal to Flattery, Ad Hominem abusive, unsurprisingly Ad Populam, False Dilemma, Poisoning the Well, Red Herring because a person's religious beliefs are really pretty unimportant for how well they can serve the public in most cases (excepting things like not thinking Evolution should be taught in schools), I guess it could even be Questionable Cause if she tried to present examples of nonchristian politicians "legislating sin" despite the fact that so many Christian politicians due likewise (like getting involved in bribery and corruption?), which leads nicely into Special Pleading.
Then we get to her excuse, which was that she only said these things because she was pandering to the Christian vote. Isn't that lying? Or maybe it's what she really thinks but not something she'd admit to in a more public audience, which would also be lying. If it's the latter it's clearly also bigotry.

C'mon people, there's still plenty of bullshit to go around!
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: the big letters make me sound regal Reply with quote

Kat Harris wrote:
the nation's founding fathers did not intend the country be "a nation of secular laws."

HOLY DEMONSTRATABLE UNTRUTH, BATMAN
kame

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: the big letters make me sound regal Reply with quote

Kat Harris wrote:
the nation's founding fathers did not intend the country be "a nation of secular laws."

Thomas Paine might have something to say about that, except he's dead.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: BLOOM! Vomit! Splorch! Reply with quote

I remember when people were piling on Harris for being involved in outright scurrilous shit involving the Florida election, saying that she was just the sort of person who could not be counted on to be a fair arbiter of election related affairs.

Well, regarding that particular charge, it's pretty true. Many years later, we find out that -- Surprise! -- she's bonkers and she's shifty. She got a grand jury subpoena from federal investigators and withheld it from her own top advisers, which led to a mass resignation of her campaign staff. Meanwhile, she's running around proclaiming that she's going to spend her entire inheritance ($10 mil +) on an election where the most favorable polls show her in the bottom-rung 30's. People are leaving her in droves, and it's now evident that she was a complete loon who was shoed in as an old-wealth candidate from a powerful party. This is solidly "not what you know, it's who you know" territory. During this mass exodus of campaign advisers, we're learning from the ex-pats that she's crazy, irrational, temperamental, prone to literal tantrums, and that until recently, they'd just barely kept her under control for the purpose of managing her image.

I want to use naval imagery to describe how fast this ship is going down, but words like 'capsize' and 'sink' are not sudden and brutal enough. It's more as if a ship were to implode and get vomited violently onto the seafloor.

BONUS EDUCATIONAL SUPPLEMENT: "How To Lose Your Staffers, The Katherine Harris Way"

Quote:
On July 13, 2006, Harris' campaign manager Glenn Hodas, spokesman Chris Ingram, field director Pat Thomas, and two other key staffers resigned from her campaign. Hodas cited Harris' "tantrums" and "increasingly erratic behavior" as his reasons for leaving. An anonymous campaign worker described Harris as "very difficult to work with. The more that we put her out there, the more she shot herself in the foot."

In late August, Harris lost another key staffer, Rhyan Metzler, in the wake of a disastrous political rally at Orlando Executive Airport. Only 40 people showed up for the event, and Harris blamed the paltry turnout in part on a last-minute change in location. She claimed that a tree fell on the hangar which was originally scheduled to hold the rally, forcing her campaign to switch to another hangar. Airport officials, however, stated that no trees had fallen, and that the event in fact took place in the hangar that Harris' campaign had originally booked. Harris' campaign blamed Metzler for the comments Harris made after the rally.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So she's going to completely squander 10+ million dollars to try and buy popularity enough to get a sudden 20-something percent vote jump in the election?
At this point she should donate almost all of it to public works and services in Florida, and save just enough to buy herself a cyanide pill. It's the only way she'll be remembered as anything other than a complete waste of skin.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: JUMP YO COUCH NIGGAH JUMP YOH COUCH Reply with quote

I have a hypothetical where she's trying an "all publicity is good publicity" blitz, not having seen what that does to people when they are tragically unstable. Re: Tom Cruise
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man... too bad she's just throwing all that money away. I sure could use a couple hundred thousand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: