welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If It Bleeds, It Leads: Journalism Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bart

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picturesofsky wrote:

Side note - I was in London, and picked up the free Metro paper you get on the Tube. Dear christ it's awful. It's apparently aimed at the average reading age of a 9 year old. My friend said it was perfect for her, given that english is her 3rd language.

Same here, I'm always surprised how much I understand in the French version.
Uncle Taylorbell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of mortified at the editorial insensitivity that leads to a harrowing story of desperate concentration camp detainees being labelled 'weird and wonderful'. Incredibly crass.

That's even before we get the lack of follow up - of those mentioned in the note, there exist survivors. Who are they, where are they (perhaps not necessary) and what do they think about the finding? I appreciate they may not want to answer questions, but we're not even given the impression they were asked any.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murdoch Invents New Reason For People Not To Read News Of The World

I mean, you can charge for reportage online - despite the very idea running contrary to the free-for-all model of the internet. But you can only do so if you have a unique, specific, quality product. I don't know if the WSJ meets these criteria, though the Guardian describes subscription as 'booming'. But does Murdoch believe he has that type of product? Seriously?

I always knew he was evil, but I never figured he was dumb, too.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservative Party? Delicious!

Why is he walking around and around in a circle? And why use cake? We know pie charts, fool!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, that's a tart, which is more pie-like than cake-like (despite the title). and he's clearly walking in circles to make the camera man dizzy. he must have some issues with the camera man, what with that and eating luscious-looking chocolate tart in front of him.

also: you guys use hearts and flowers to symbolize your parties? that's so much nicer than our old donkey and elephant. i think we need to review our party symbolism. i vote for the democrats being represented by lovely belgian chocolate tart. (we could make it out of hershey's chocolate, if necessary, they make dark chocolate now).
Kilgore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I could really go for some cake.

-Slick
Dro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They shrunk the local newspaper width recently. Now most pages have a single article across plus a sidebar. I guess it is more consistent with reading it on a browser, but it makes me want to just cancel my subscription and read it on a browser. I think they've cut the amount of information by about 30%. Now I finish it before I finish my breakfast.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The surviving local rag also got the downsizing treatment not too long ago, and they combined a couple of sections. Now we're down to Major/National/World/Business in section A, Local/Arts/Food/Entertainment/Comics in B, and Sports/Car Ads From The Handful of Surviving Dealers in section C. More of the stories are written by the well known reporter whose initials are A. P., too. What's weird is how the classifieds have completely disappeared. I'm impressed that Craigslist et al. have totally eradicated this former profit center for the daily fishwrap. There's something on the order of a vestigial quarter page.
Yorick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Print is dead.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My town's paper started shrinking more than two years ago: first making the paper less wide, and then (after I'd stopped delivering them) switching over to a tabloid format. I haven't really picked one up since I quit being a paperboy.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My city newspaper had the coolest place to work ever. A great building with its own printing press, heart of downtown, right at where pearl turns into the mall. Fantastic stuff. Been there for decades. They're desperately trying to sell it and cram themselves into some generic, practically windowless surplus commercial space off in some dreary ratfuck building.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local paper was bought by Ottaway press, a division of Dow Jones that owns a slew of small circulation local papers. Last year they shut down the local printing presses (they were in a separate facility 5 minutes away) to consolidate them with their operations in middletown NY, almost 2 hours away. It had one of the highest pay rates in the county. Within the past few years the paper has won a bunch of awards for its circulation size and so has the web site. The offices are slated to close down in the next few years too.

They're scratching their heads as to WHY circulation has fallen off dramatically Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
Print is dead.

Says the skully-bones.

Mouse: we use hearts and flowers? I didn't notice that piece of captioning. Your miniscule mouse eyes must be sharper than mine (what with the owls and that). In the UK the ruling Labour party use a red rose as their symbol. The Conservatives use a blue flaming torch (because they love rude jokes, homosexuals and The Fantastic Four comics).

The elections being discussed were, of course, the European Parliment elections, where the parties cram into broad coalitions, presumably using different symbols and colour schemes (largely red / blue, swastika / hammer & sickle).

Also, WoC, a paperboy? In 2007? Wtf.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, I was a paperboy about five years ago.

Last I knew Pretty Princess is one.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You, WoC and Pretty Princess ... all the cool kids then, eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: