welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evolution of Watterson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurhis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Evolution of Watterson Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just nuts, maybe I haven't looked through/searched the forum enough, but is it just me, or has T's artistic abilities suddenly gotten exponentially better since this?

It's most evident in the hair and shading, but also in detail per strip.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Evolution of Watterson Reply with quote

Lurhis wrote:
Maybe I'm just nuts, maybe I haven't looked through/searched the forum enough, but is it just me, or has T's artistic abilities suddenly gotten exponentially better since this?

That particular strip doesn't look any better per se then the immediately-preceeding strips. He has altered his style a bit since the move to this new website, especially in regards to panel breaks and angles.
Idlethought

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude tthat was like 2 weeks ago. No, I don't think they've gotten exponentially better in two weeks.
Lurhis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im aware that it's been awhile but I haven't seen anything about it.

A larger sample of comics: early works, current and present.

Now I suppose your right about "exponentially" being a bit much, It's not the the same kinda difference you'd get if you looked at the first comic and went to todays, but it's definately there. 'Specially in 'Niques hair in the last panel of today's.
Natashabi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the comics is specifically about 'Nique's hair getting long. Of course it's different. Whether she cuts it or grows it out is one of the current issues.

The thing about artists is that over the years their art changes. They improve their style, or are influenced by other artists. Of course his comic style has changed over the years. I don't think that recently there has been a huge change, I think that it's been gradual. Additionally, while Tat was making this new little world for us here, there weren't many updates, understandably so, as he was busy with the new sinfest site.

With so few updates I think it may be conceivable that his art would appear to change rapidly, especially when viewed out of the true timeline context, but I still think it has been a truly gradual change.

Plus, calling a comic from last year "early works" is a touch off base considering he started in 2000.

Edit:typo
Drui

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to see an "exponential" change, look at the actual early stuff and compare it to what you consider "early works."

What I suppose you would think of as ancient history:

Their heads didn't even stay the same size from panel to panel.

Now for the 2005 strip:

Now THERE'S a difference.
Lurhis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hai hai, I'll choose my words more carefully next time. "Exponentially" is clearly the wrong word. I stand corrected.

And i guess again I've gone and used the wrong word regarding the time-line also. Dam lack of fore-thought.

Point was, there's a difference in his work since the new pages. I was looking for people's opinion on the matter.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the point at which you chose to compare, which was only a couple of strips ago, doesn't show much, if any, change compared to the style of this morning's strip.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
And the point at which you chose to compare, which was only a couple of strips ago, doesn't show much, if any, change compared to the style of this morning's strip.

Actually the shading in the last strip caught me off guard...

...it almost seems over done...then again maybe tat is just kicking it up another notch...or he could be doing some more comic book stuff and the greater refinement is rubbing off...or it could just be Tat being Tat Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Eten

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said the same thing to myself about the comics getting "exponentially" better very recently.

I came to the conclusion because each successive strip would "catch me off guard" in something, instead of just a gradual change that is hardly visible from one strip to the next.
Lurhis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eten, cheers. After everyone pointed out how I'm wrong, I thought i was just going plain ole crazy. But I'm glad that some other people have noticed a change to.

I know artists are going to get better (and sometimes worse) as they keep drawing but it seemed to be changing faster than the norm, or at least, what I percieve the norm to be.
Halen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at how many years he's been doing it. Of course his style has matured. "Better" is subjective, but it's a whole lot more complex.
Yarko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His early works were a lot more "Calvin and Hobbes," which he himself has joked about. Over time, it developed into a more mature-looking set of characters. The Devil looked more adult. Slick was less of a little boy and more of a midget teenager. Interestingly enough, however, 'Nique seems to have gotten younger-looking over time. The backgrounds have also become more realistic with more detailed shading.
Eten

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I have to ask about the title...

Who is Watterson?
Natashabi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eten wrote:
Oh, I have to ask about the title...

Who is Watterson?

Bill Watterson, creator of the comic Calvin and Hobbes.

Edit:

I would assume, anyway... not sure what he has to do with the topic, though... guess I could be wrong
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: