welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evolution of Watterson
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I definitely see a small improvement recently.

I wonder how Tat gets by in terms of having the time and money to draw and live? I know he must be pretty quick, but Sinfest must still take him a long time to draw, especially since he draws it so much larger than the final scan.

Perhaps he's had a run of good fortune recently and has decided to kick it up a notch!
Azmoten

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, when I first started reading Sinfest, long before I joined the forum, I thought Slick was Calvin.

Then I found out his name was Slick, and my childlike innocence was forever lost.
Yarko

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bill Watterson, creator of the comic Calvin and Hobbes.

Edit:

I would assume, anyway... not sure what he has to do with the topic, though... guess I could be wrong

Comparing Sinfest's evolution to C&H's evolution perhaps? As in Watterson-like Evolution.
Lurhis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I like kinda esoteric names. It's after Bill Watterson creator of the one, the only, Calvin and Hobbes.

I named the thread that because I noticed that T like Watterson, had periods where his Art's quality started to go up in a relatively short time frame.

One more thing, maybe it's just for this set of strips, but the way the hair is drawn on Slick and 'Nique, does it look messier and more relaxed than it used to (and yes, I'm aware 'Nique's hair is getting longer).
Eten

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mwuhaha, "Who is Watterson?" I'm so funny.

When I was thinking about the change in the artwork of the recent sinfest strips, I was thinking alot back to Watterson's comments on some of his strips about visual changes and progressions he went through with Calvin and Hobbes, and how similar they are. (removal of things that are visually distracting, shade heavy vs. simpler drawings, and drawing characters from different angles.)

But alot of my memory of Calvin and Hobbes is blurry along with most of my memories of being a childhood, so I had no idea that Watterson had periods where his Art's quality would go up in a relativly short time frame.
Yarko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mwuhaha, "Who is Watterson?" I'm so funny.

So much so that I completely forgot to laugh. Cool

Quote:
But alot of my memory of Calvin and Hobbes is blurry along with most of my memories of being a childhood, so I had no idea that Watterson had periods where his Art's quality would go up in a relativly short time frame.

I didn't notice a change there either, but I didn't really look at it from start to finish as I have with Sinfest.

I did notice how Bloom County changed, however.
Agamemnon

Location: Studying somewhere. Or at least that's where I should be.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All comics evolve. Look at early Peanuts compared to the later years. Check out the early Garfield. Hell, look at how the first season of the Simpsons compares to the new ones now.

P: They don't know we know they know we know. And Joey, you can't say anything!

J: Couldn't if I wanted to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: