welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Newfangled Gadget: A Love/Hate Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TIAB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it now, some unfortunate student is going to get screwed on an open-book test because he bought his book on his iPad and no electronic devices are allowed. I can see universities/teachers letting up on eReaders, but not any Apple products.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already sick of the iPad jokes. Good lord. It was funny for like five minutes.

PS: Don't call amazon to see if they have them/will carry them. They will probably just tell you to buy a Kindle anyway.
Mizike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still giggling about the name and I'm not too proud to admit it.

It's the first thing a person thinks of upon hearing it, what were they thinking? I mean, at least the Wii had the excuse of "Oh, they're Japanese. They don't know any better."
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
at least the Wii had the excuse of "Oh, they're Japanese. They don't know any better."

the Wii is also a social device, therefore being appropriate (I don't know if that was intentional or not), and I don't think the homophone has the same connotation the world over, either.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They totally made the Wii name work though. Took some effort but it worked. I don't think IPad will be quite so catchy.

I have a laptop and a Kindle. If I actually wanted a smart phone, I would get one (I would never talk to anyone, ever). So, would I ever need an IPad? Not really.

Now, is this where textbooks are going? I really believe yes though I am actually more of a paper fan as I tend to really spread out when I do homework and notes. So I won't be happy until I have a way to project all of that on a floor with me being able to shuffle things around would be great. But I do expect that students of the near future can easily get used to a more screen approach.

BUT I have a Kindle and it is REALLY easy to read. It performs so well as a book. IF Amazon can continue to get that message out, they can do very well (and if they change their damn book organization). I am actually thrilled that my book can check wiki and do the basic web searches that I like to do to clarify or expand on whatever I am reading. Then I go back to reading. If I want to play, I'll pull out my phone or laptop.

But maybe book reading is dead and the Kindle is toast.

Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the market side of things, it does seem expensive for a book with games and interviews on it. How many book readers will want all that? And how many people want to shell out for a large IPhone?

Of course, give Apple a few iterations and it will be really cool but it better be able to almost replace my laptop. Wait, didn't they already do that with the MacBook Air?

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IPad? That’s So 2002, Fujitsu Says

By HIROKO TABUCHI
Published: January 28, 2010

Quote:
TOKYO — It’s sleek. It’s mobile. It has a touchscreen.
Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image

The Fujitsu iPAD.

It’s Fujitsu’s iPad from 2002.

Sold mainly in the United States, the multifunctional device from the Tokyo technology company helps shop clerks verify prices, check real-time inventory data and close sales on the go.

Fujitsu, which applied for an iPad trademark in 2003, is claiming first dibs, setting up a fight with Apple over the name of the new tablet device that Apple plans to sell starting in March.

“It’s our understanding that the name is ours,” Masahiro Yamane, director of Fujitsu’s public relations division, said Thursday. He said Fujitsu was aware of Apple’s plans to sell the iPad tablet and that the company was consulting lawyers over next steps.

Fujitsu’s iPad, which runs on Microsoft’s CE.NET operating system, has a 3.5-inch color touchscreen, an Intel processor and Wi-fi and Bluetooth connections; it also supports VoIP telephone calls over the Internet, a technology also used by Skype.

“Mobile is a keyword for Fujitsu’s iPad, too,” Mr. Yamane said. “With the iPad, workers don’t have to keep running back to a computer. They have everything right at their fingertips.”

Apple may have an edge on pricing, however: the iPads from Fujitsu can sell for more than $2,000, compared with $499 for an entry-model iPad from Apple.

Fujitsu's application to trademark the iPad name stalled because of an earlier filing by Magtek, an information technology security company based in Seal Beach, California, for a handheld number-encrypting device.

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office listed Fujitsu’s application as abandoned in early 2009, but the company revived its application in June.

The following month, Apple used a proxy to apply for an international trademark for the iPad. It has since filed a string of requests with the U.S. Patent Office for more time to oppose Fujitsu’s application. Apple has until Feb. 28 to say whether it will oppose Fujitsu’s claims to the iPad name.

While the dispute between Fujitsu and Apple centers on the United States, there are other iPads around the world. The German conglomerate Siemens uses the name for engines and motors, while a Canadian lingerie company, Coconut Grove Pads, has the right to market iPad padded bras.

Apple faced a similar spat three years ago with Cisco Systems over the iPhone name. The two companies eventually negotiated a settlement.

Soo an IPad is a wireless inventory control device, an industrial motor, a padded brassiere OR now the latest toy from apple?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYT went into a bit more detail.
Quote:

But the folks at Fujitsu, the Japanese technology firm, may not be quite so eager to forgive and forget. The company has applied for the iPad trademark in the United States and already sells an iPad — a $2,000 hand-held device that shop clerks use to check inventory.

STMicroelectronics, the Swiss semiconductor company, owns the iPad trademark in Europe and uses it as an acronym for integrated passive and active devices — which sounds less fun than playing games on a tablet. (A third company, MagTek of Seal Beach, Calif., makes a portable magnetic card reader of the same name.)

These kinds of naming conflicts have not stopped Apple before. In 2007, on the eve of the introduction of the iPhone, the technology giant Cisco Systems pointed out that it already sold an Internet handset called the iPhone. Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, led the negotiation for the name, peppering Cisco executives with calls at all hours, and telling them he was prepared to claim that Cisco was underutilizing the trademark.

Mr. Jobs finally persuaded Cisco to surrender the trademark with a vague promise to market their products jointly — a partnership that never materialized.

“He’s a very tough businessman and tough negotiator,” said Charles Giancarlo, a former Cisco executive who dealt directly with Mr. Jobs on the issue. “I feel sorry for the poor guy at Fujitsu who is going to be negotiating with Steve directly.”

And a rather detailed blog post put in in good words:
Quote:
Even just give me a full version of Safari, but multi-touch enabled, and I might be prepared to ignore the iPad's other shortcomings. Meanwhile I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I basically want the Asus T91 hardware, running the iPhone OS but with the full version of Safari and access to an online book store. It doesn't seem like we'll see this device anytime soon, although Android is obviously one to watch. The iPad is going to trigger a wave of competitors, most of which will suck, but I think it's worth waiting to see what comes along. If the iPad was AU$299 I'd happily buy one to tide me over while I wait for that dream device. Yet considering I already own an iPhone, at this stage I don't see why I should shell out the price of a netbook for a device Jobs claims is better than a netbook but is no better than my iPhone, just bigger.

Oh, and CNET's headline:

Quote:
The Apple iPad: It's just ahead of its time

But I think there will be a market for a touch-screen, all-in-one device that's more than a Kindle and less than a laptop, and it's easy to imagine getting all my media on one slick Internet-connected device that also works as one heck of a pretty digital picture frame.

See you in three to five years!

... Okay so I am a huge Kindle fan but I am really not sure how much the market for an IPad and the Kindle are actually going to overlap.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, Apple is only the first out of the gate with a keyboardless tablet thingy, but there are plenty of projects from other companies already in development that weren't waiting to see what Apple did. There are Nvidia Tegra2-powered tablets floating around in development and waiting to reach the market as we speak. Anything that comes later, though, will be seen as following Apple's lead.
I also don't get the constant comparisons between the iPad and the Kindle, or the hype of it being a "Kindle Killer." Just because they're both capable of reading e-books and have one big display? Why are people assuming they're even in direct competition?
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps because of this?
Quote:
“Amazon’s done a great job of pioneering this functionality with the Kindle,” CEO Steve Jobs said during the launch of the iPad. “We’re going to stand on their shoulders and go a little further.”

I am not sure how the keyboard thing on a tablet is going to play out. One finger typing or two thumb typing has been working but getting to two hands is going to be difficult. I know so many people who dislike laptop keyboards because they are too small. Netbook keyboards are totally out. So on a carry me around because I'm smaller than the laptop and really shiny? I worry about space issues.

Or just teach everyone single handed typing and then the problem is solved!

Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They really should have given it more functionality. instead it's a glorified larger iPod touch (no camera, no phone -- does it even have a mic?)

WHy couldn't it be the next-gen of the Mac Mini? instead of the computer with no screen, the screen with no comput waitasecond
TIAB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I had nothing to do with this:

Second, Apple was not the first to release a tablet of this nature. The JooJoo(I kid you not), was announced a few months ago and has about equal footing with the iPad specs-wise. Some things are better, some are worse, both are $500.

EDIT: Gizmodo.com just posted this convenient chart.

Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those had been announced more or less officially before Apple announced the iPad. The Adam was at CES.

I'm vaguely interested in the Dell Mini 5 (it looks nice), the Adam, and the Archos 7. The lack of Flash would be a killer for me - if I can't watch hulu between classes at school or on a break at work I'm not interested - but supposedly HTML5 will include a streaming standard that may make Flash superfluous... so as long as these devices get firmware updates to make them HTML5 compliant they'll be able to play video over the internet without paying royalties to Adobe. I like, in theory, that the Adam allows you to switch the LCD display between backlit and transflective modes, which is comparable to e-ink in its readability and shows "muted" colors. The transflective layer right now reduces viewing angle, but they've got some time to figure it out. I also like that the Adam is using the Tegra 2 chip, which is pretty tight. I'm also pretty pleased with the Dell's use of the Snapdragon processor, though I'm wary of Dell handheld devices generally.

Other random things: yeah, the iPad costs $130 more for 3G... but there's also a monthly fee ($15, or $30 for unlimited), but it's pay as you go, so you can turn it on and off as you need it... I guess it was too much to ask that it have the 3G included, like the Kindle, considering it includes a web browser, but it's still unfortunate.

It was expected that the iPad would fall between smartphones and laptops - at least, from my understanding of the chatter - but I was disappointed. I had high hopes for this being more similar to the CrunchPad-turned-JooJoo. This isn't really "between" a smartphone and a laptop, because it really only has two features the iPhone lacks - iBooks and the larger screen - but lacks the phone.

I could maybe get used to using a tablet for textbook reading, which would make them infinitely easier to justify buying, but it would have to have a hell of an interface. I tend to flip around and flipping through physical pages is much faster than on a computer, not to mention that I like to write notes as I read, which would either eat up screen real estate or require a second device. Razz
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dell model will reportedly be twice the price of the base iPad, without a carrier subsidy. And remember, it's a 5-inch tablet. Way to drop the ball Dell, if I may say so.
TIAB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, all I really want out of a tablet is to be able to view content that's stored somewhere else. Storage space doesn't mean that much to me, but a speedy connection does. If I can watch videos, view google docs, read email and maybe even type in a short reply, that's ideal for me.

To be more specific, I have a file server with videos in DivX format that I would like to be able to pull the videos from. I'd also like to be able to view flash(though in the next year or two, HTML 5 may be sufficient). I also wouldn't be at all shocked if Google announced ebook support in google docs in the near future. I don't need an image editor, camera, phone, or even 3G as this would probably basically live at my house and never leave except maybe the occasional road trip. Multitasking might be nice, but to be honest, it's not a dealbreaker for me. A big sell for me would be able to run an app like Team Viewer or a VNC client, as that would make for the ultimate remote for my HTPC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: