welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the disneyfication of 9/11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CopperTop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's look at a few things, shall we?

Rush Limbaugh got an advance look at this "docudrama" (I'm using the term that ABC's marketing department has applied to this) because the writer, Cyrus Nowrasteh, is a good friend of his. Cyrus Nowrasteh also admits that his politics have very conservative leanings.

Mr. Nowrasteh states that he based his script off the report issued by the 9/11 commission. However, admissions have been made by consultants on the project that the findings in the report and the script do not match up.

Now, I am expecting some folks to say, "So what is the difference between this and 'Farenheit 9/11'?" The difference is you could see what was Michael Moore's opinion pieces and what were the opinion of others in "Farenheit 9/11". In "The Path to 9/11", artistic license is taken to the level where some people are eliminated or combimed into a single entity - rewriting fact into fiction. There is already enough fiction to go around concerning the events that lead up to the attacks on the World Trade Centers and the Pentagon - just ask those that believe Iraq or the Bush administration had a hand in the attacks.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: civ 4 culture win Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
Sam wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:
It still can be argued that Clinton called off one of the best chances to get Bin Laden.

When? Didn't we already cover this?

Unless I'm mis-reading things, I believe he's saying that that particular instance may have been the best chance so far to actually get Bin Laden out of all the chances that have presented themselves... not necessarily that it would have suceeded. Just that it was the best opportunity thus far.

Which doesn't really mean it was a good one.

Yeah, but no "Clinton":
The 9/11 Commission wrote:
Tenet told us that given the recommendation of his chief operations officers, he alone had decided to "turn off" the operation. He had simply informed Berger, who had not pushed back. Berger's recollection was similar. He said the plan was never presented to the White House for a decision.30

Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the TV guide the first half is on tonight and the second half is on tomorrow night. In more exciting new, the TV guide has a small ad for it down the bottom of the Sunday page and apparantly it stars Harvey Keitel.

HARVEY FUCKING KEITEL

no fuck, are you serious and WOAH WAIT A SECOND WHO IS THAT HANDSOME GRIZZLED CHAP BEHIND HIM OH SHIT IT'S DONNIE WHALBERG FUCK YES.

Look, politics aside, this is Harvey Keitell and Donnie Whalberg. Maybe it's a ridiculously skewed 'docudrama' set to furthur brainwash the already docile American public. Or mayb eit's the slickest action flick of the Spring, featuring Harvey Keitel and Donnie Whalberg. And maybe Harv will be a CIA operative trying to send rookie sniper Dondon after Bin laden but the MAN is keeping him down. Maybe Donnie will be cut off from the boys back home and have to be a lone wolf, who fails to get his man because of an incompetant administration. And maybe he'll return home having failed, but also won because he's discovered who the TRUE terrorists are. And maybe Harv will play punch him in the jaw, and say something like 'We'll get him next time, tiger' while a tattered American flag billows in the background. And maybe Donnie Whalberg will smile a little, knowing that even though he lost, he still won. Perhaps then they will pash, conifdant that come the impeachment of Clinton there will be a REAl man in the Whitehouse, dedicated to eradicating terrorism wherever they find it. And hey, who knows, maybe this will all happen in the first fifteen minutes, and the next three hours will be taken up by Harvey Keitel and Donnie Whalberg fucking. Maybe that's just the American way. Y'know, I don't know.

What I do know is that none of this shit matters because Law & Order: Criminal Intent has been off the air for weeks and it's finally back on the fucking telly and I've almost gone fucking mental without a weekly Goran and Eames fix and I could give two fucks for some fact free right wing sausage fest trying to find someone new to blame for a horrific disaster. Sure, I want to see Harvey Keitel and Donnie Whalberg fuck as much as the next guy, but at what cost?

At what cost?
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also I have just discovered that the adveritising space for part two has been taken up by a rather informative dishwashing advert.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit seriously guys, I take it back. Australian Idol is running overtime because they're a pack of cunts who luck to fuck everything up for everyone else, what a bunch of fuckers. So Criminal Intent isn't on eyt and I'm catching some of THE PATH TO 9/11

AND SERIOUSLY, NO SHIT, I JUST SAW SOME ISLAMERITTES FUCKEN USE A VAN TO EXPLODE A PREGNANT WOMAN IN THE WORLD TRADE CENTRE. FUCK YOU, CLINTON, YOU'RE OFF BLOWING YOUR WAD IN THAT FAT SLUTS MOUTH WHILE INNOCENT HARDWORKING PEOPLE WHO KNOW THAT THE ONLY RIGHTEOUS PLACE FOR A DICK IS IN A WOMAN'S GINNY NOT ALL UP SPRAYING YOUR FLUIDS DOWN HER THROAT AND SHE'S PREGNANT AND THAT BABY COULD HAVE GROWN UP TO BE A SOLDIER AND PROTECT THE WORLD BUT NO YOU FILTHY BEARDED ISLAMARAQIANS OR WHOEVER THE FUCK YOU PRAY TO HAD TO BLOW UP YOUR VAN AND KILL INNOCENT WOMEN AND BABIES.

seriously, I am so fucking bored. FUCK OFF, AUSTRALIAN IDOL.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also so far there is NO SIGN of Harvey Keitel or Donnie Whalberg. DID LIMBAUGH TELL YOU THAT, AGS? HMM? DID YOUR PRECIOUS RIGHT WING COMMENTATORS WARN YOU THAT THEIR ALLEGED DOCUDRAMA WITH ALLEGED STARS HARVEY KEITEL AND DONNIE WHALBERG DID NOT ACTUALLY FEATURE HARVEY KEITEL AND DONNIE WHALBERG? AND INSTEAD FEATURED A BUNCH OF SUCKERS AND NYPD BLUE STYLE CAMERA WORK THAT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M ON A BOAT? DID THEY TELL YOU THAT, AGS?

Yeah. I thought so.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i've said, disney is the devil
Agamemnon

Location: Studying somewhere. Or at least that's where I should be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: civ 4 culture win Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
Sam wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:
It still can be argued that Clinton called off one of the best chances to get Bin Laden.

When? Didn't we already cover this?

Unless I'm mis-reading things, I believe he's saying that that particular instance may have been the best chance so far to actually get Bin Laden out of all the chances that have presented themselves... not necessarily that it would have suceeded. Just that it was the best opportunity thus far.

Which doesn't really mean it was a good one.

Pretty much

Look, the mentionof Clinton and Binladen wasn't even my primary point way back then. This discussion has taqken away from the fact that the way I heard it, the docudrama is about the bureaucratic failings all throughout the latter part of the nineties and the months leading up to 9/11.

For instance: There's an FBI analist (I think she was an analyst, might have been a field agent) that alerted higher ups in the FBI that Mussoui (sp?) and maybe others, were learning how to fly without figuring out how totake off and land. This information was reported to the FBI by a flight school here in MN. The information never made it through the FBI ranks and was not pursued.

These are the types of instances that are emphasised in the docudrama.

Additionally, Rush thought that the Clinton Admin got off a bit light because there's no mention of Berger stealing documents from the Nat'l Archives.

P: They don't know we know they know we know. And Joey, you can't say anything!

J: Couldn't if I wanted to.
CopperTop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: civ 4 culture win Reply with quote

Agamemnon wrote:
For instance: There's an FBI analist (I think she was an analyst, might have been a field agent) that alerted higher ups in the FBI that Mussoui (sp?) and maybe others, were learning how to fly without figuring out how totake off and land. This information was reported to the FBI by a flight school here in MN. The information never made it through the FBI ranks and was not pursued.

Ags, I have to call bullshit on this one. Zacharias Moussai was picked up on August 24, 2001 and placed in federal custody over his immigration status BECAUSE of that alert about what he was studying in flight school. Unfortunately, he just didn't cough up the information that was needed to stop the events that had been set in motion.

That is why he was still alive to be tried and convicted in federal court in Virginia last year.
Desire

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
so, is he being faulted even though he made the right call?

By me? No.
By other Americans? Probably.
People take shit for a lot less.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krazy Stixx wrote:
How about instead of making some bullshit "docudrama", or some shitty film starring Nick Cage, we shovel our money towards something more important...

...like getting rid of that gaping hole where the twin towers were. I mean, come on. Five years later and NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE. Well, except clearing out the wreckage. How about really honoring our dead instead of furthering a political idea, or trying to make some scratch?

Ugg. Oh, and one more point- regardless of the content, fuck docudramas.

You know I actually was reading this website yesterday about the twin towers. They just unraveled a new design for three buildings to be built at ground zero. Apparently they're (the victims families and New Yorkers, according to the website) trying to stop any construction other than the rebuild of the twin towers.

After a poll was taken, 70 percent of the country wanted to put up 2 more towers just like the original twin towers. I guess this is a sign to show that we will not be scared of terrorists, etc. Donald Trump had wanted to do another set of twin towers except the only difference is that they would be one floor higher. I kind of like that idea. But I really have no preference, except that they at least build something there. Because it really will just look like defeat if we're too chicken shit to build anything there any more.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
Major Tom wrote:
so, is he being faulted even though he made the right call?

By me? No.

yes, no, i didn't think so.

was wondering if that was part of ag was saying
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is generating quite a bit of heated discussion on my child_lit listserv. Especially because it was orginally tied in with teaching materials by Scholastic. Having this TAUGHT in the CLASSROOM seems to be taking it a bit far, yes?

Oh, and this is being shown commercial free. So...

Who is footing the bill?
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dev--i mean disney?
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
the dev--i mean disney?

I also heard that the president is going to be giving an address during a break in the film.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: