welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sinfest Bookclub February'10 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Screw Ya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stepmom gave me this book on CD for Christmas. The scene that everyone's calling the "rape" is all talk and not a whole lot of action (which is good for once). In a Hitchcock sorta way, it was graphic, not gratuitous.

And talk about advancing plot, the next scene with those two is... so... oh, I don't want to spoil it!
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!!! Guys! You can read the book!!
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the book and started reading it.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the section with the rape. Yes it was rape but to say that there is even sex in this book is a bit of an overstatement. References are made (they woke up in bed together, he opened her shirt, etc) that make it clear that sex took place but graphic is not a word that applies to this book at all.

In fact, the sex "scenes" feel clumsy compared to the smut I have read in the past (Come on Hamilton, can you advance the plot this book please?).

Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad sex scenes make me feel dirty
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or something.

man, I'm not even reading this book and I'm offended by the rape scene.
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanna be all "grr graah smash stomp roar" and I don't even know why.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you need a nice relaxing cup of tea.

And a good book. Very Happy

Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Maybe you need a nice relaxing cup of tea.

And a good book. Very Happy

probably, but the shipboard computer keeps giving me something that is almost but not quite entirely unlike tea whenever I ask for some.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
I just read the section with the rape. Yes it was rape but to say that there is even sex in this book is a bit of an Toverstatement. References are made (they woke up in bed together, he opened her shirt, etc) that make it clear that sex took place but graphic is not a word that applies to this book at all.

In fact, the sex "scenes" feel clumsy compared to the smut I have read in the past (Come on Hamilton, can you advance the plot this book please?).

A bit surprised here, I thought you were meaning the forced fellatio part.

So far this book is a huge disappointment, pacing is uneven. Two hundred and fifty pages in and the plot still stutter and get mixed up, the main protagonists are still apart one wonders if and why they will ever cross path.

The sleuthing skills of Marcel Proust mixed with the human portrayal of Arthur Conan Doyle instead of the other way around.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing in advance that there's a rape scene would probably have spoiled the book a little for me, but it makes sense to warn people about it.

I lent a friend my copy, and she hasn't given it back yet. I may need to borrow it from the library to fully participate.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another one coming up but it isn't much more graphic.
Sam the Eagle wrote:
pacing is uneven.

Yes, this is what I keep getting out of the book. It confuses me because I read a number of very good reviews on goodreads which is usually good about pointing that kind of thing out.

Sorry. Sad

Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to apologize about Wink. It was a book many of us were going to read anyway. My friends all liked it, they're usually a fair mark on book value according to my tastes. Many said the other two blows diseased goats though.

I'm on a good part now. It's not that the style is bad, and there are obviously some issues on male/female relation that are important to the writer. I'm awfully tempted to mention our local resident' Polanski wannabe here Twisted Evil. My own knowledge on Swedish literature is limited.

Maybe the later part will be better.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I was really interested in the story on the first page. After that I kept waiting for something to happen, something to keep my interest. Now I am about 50% through the book (according to Kindle) and Now, NOW I am really, really interested in what is going to happen. Our two main characters have finally crossed paths too (FINALLY).

Chris isn't impressed with the book either but he thinks it is okay. He did nicely explain one reason why the book grates: food. Okay so they made three liverwurst sandwiches with cheese and capers. They made coffee. They made coffee. And again they made coffee. But these things don't _mean_ anything. And the author points out these things every chapter. A counterexample: is is reasonable to show the character making a sandwich with sliced spam on bread that they had to cut the mold off of because that shows the character's state. Equally you can show some food that involves caviar to again show a state. But these people eat average meals and drink nonspecific coffee all the time! It doesn't show anything, it doesn't add anything, and there is no reason why I should care!

SO, I am very curious: why is this book so popular in spite of the mediocre writing (unnecessary details, mixed up and slow pacing, and intervals of political monologues)? Is it that the audience doesn't care about good writing? What does an audience care about?

Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The food and coffee part didn't bothered me much. It was setting the mood of the area, local custom that place action in Norrland instead of Whateverville. If anything, the book looks a bit parochial, assuming we know a bit more of local Swedish culture than most.

As for the writing style, I do find it quite good actually, it's the editing that's irksome. In the "silence of the lamb" 1st part, right after they met (finally), the writer do create very vivid scenes. But he just had to kill ambiance off with a mundane part few pages later.

Thoses "mood-killer" scenes have a purpose as they're needed later on, giving the book a maelstrom like feeling. But really, it's like someone got a remote and switch channel every page or so. Annoying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: