welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the future fictional history of a. renard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VI

too easily tempted by the long seperations from his wife, renard was often found passed out in taverns, or, worse, in the rooms of certain young ladies that were not his wife.

realizing that he was not cut out for domestic life, renard never-the-less made one last attempt to patch things up. dr. thomas addis counseled the couple and recommended that each keep a diary in which they could express their negative feelings (rage, jealousy, etc.) without hurting the other. we can get a accurate picture of renard's feelings during the latter years of his marriage from his version of the journal. (helen chesterton burned hers.)

8/17

"black coffee (screw the doctor). the usual horseshit with wife. she goes to london tomorrow, three weeks ahead of schedule. I can't decide if I should be upset about that. daniel boone refuses to use the litterbox. "

9/6

"woke from a dream of airports. do I miss my wife? do I hate her, or myself for being what I am? such ridiculous human traits. can't even take my own medicine. received a card from XXX. a secret meeting at the XXX. I'd rather die. need new entertainment. daniel boone hit by a car last night."

12/12

"absurdities! helen wants to celebrate some sort of holiday. doesn't matter which one, she says. can it get any worse than this? also, this will be my last entry in this abominable diary. I can't even tell if wife is keeping one."

Last edited by rm on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VII

january, 2032. helen chesterton leaves a. renard for good. emily is six years old and chooses of her own will to live with her mother in sussex. "I'm sorry, but I do adore tennis, daddy," she tells him. renard becomes reclusive, begins work on the blindman's dinner.

march 16th, renard is arrested for disorderly conduct outside the gates of conrad evans mansion. in a statement to the arresting officer, renard pleads guilty to indecent exposure and "criminal intent" (in his own words, "I intended to scale the walls and destroy mr. evans prize begonia.")

august, renard self-excommunicates himself from the new sub-realists and creates a new group which he calls The Cult of Jimmy Woodser. select invitations are distributed, each declaring a different bar or club as the meeting place. renard stays at home that night and drinks bourbon.

for several months nothing is known of renard's doings. according to the housemaid, it is doubtful that he was even home during this time. some have speculated that a mrs. cromwell, once proprietor of the Lecoq-Gadby, was putting him up, that he slept in the inn's attic or basement, and that she fed him only her famous biscuits and bacon, per his request. though it cannot be neither verified nor entirely discounted, this sort of absurd account obviously has no basis in fact. john p. has a more likely explanation:

"renard had been writing a lot of letters to old friends. I received one in late september and was startled by its rambling, disconnected manner, which was impressive for even renard. there was no return address, but only a postal stamp listing Saint-Irénée. this did not mean much to me until later when I remembered that renard's old mistress, a peculiar girl named matilda, lived in that district."

Last edited by rm on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIII

mrs. pritchard's ruby finch is published in the spring of 2033.

excerpt: "…for the ancients considered the ruby to be an antidote to poison, to preserve persons from plague, to banish grief, to repress the ill effects of luxuries, and to divert the mind from evil thoughts, and I too was brought to a higher health, a certain cleanliness and clearness of thought I had never known before, whether it was of the body or soul or both, through the elixir of mrs. pritchard's fluttering ruby finch."

many readers of this piece have wondered why a ruby finch, is there such a thing? it is, alas, a moot point, but by examining renard's notes, we can get an idea of his thought process...

"chaffinch?? fringilla coelebs. I see them along the quay up north. the breeding male is unmistakable, with his reddish underparts and a grey cap. I am reminded of the old man. that's disgusting. the female is drabber and greener, but still obvious. how true that can be! but really doesn't fit in this case..."

renard enters a period of alarming productivity. from the fall of 2033 to the spring of 2038, between sporadic television interviews and the occasional college lecture, renard writes the following titles:

beech tree ramblings (poetry)
summer in the sudan (fiction)
the mayor's widow (fiction)
flagstones and maple leaves (poetry)
dogs howl at death (poetry)
the suck of the drain & others (short stories)
unsolicited opinions (editorial)
night-star-seas, swimming in mare insularum (fiction)
movies starring myself (memoir)
the tragi-comic stain (essay)
clown in a flea circus (fiction)
the unintentional effect of lilli-burlero and bullen-a-la (essay)
the ridiculous mr. nick (fiction)
prospero's daughters(fiction)

prospero's daughters picked up the thread of prospero's sisters and recounts the manner in which the duke eventually gains freedom from his needling lusts. at the conclusion he dies powerless, but happy.

its publication coincided with the birth of renard's second daughter, vera louisa renard.
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IX

there was much confusion surrounding the birth of vera louisa, and it wasn't until the child was seven months old that renard revealed the mother to be mrs. diane george, née bouche, the recently widowed heiress to the george family west african diamond empire.

officially, montgomery george died of heart failure while talking to his accountant. a friend close to the diamond magnate has a more picaresque explanation: "m.g. died of noblesse oblige."

of her daughter-in-law's attachment to a. renard, montgomery george's mother had this to say: "if my dead son's wife thinks she can spend his money to raise a bastard child by that crazed whoring phony she can kiss my ass in court."

however, the matter never went to court because this ancient woman, the only surviving member of the george clan besides diane, fell down a flight of stairs the following week. her death was ruled instantaneous and accidental. the papers had a field day.

Last edited by rm on Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X

in the autumn of '38, worn out from years of solitary writing and having reason for renewed interest in family matters, renard traveled to england for the first time to visit his daughter emily. remarried in 2035 to dr. marcus gladis, helen chesterton arranged for the couple to be in new york during this reunion. in a letter to former new sub-realist second man hank osmand, renard gave a detailed description of he and emily's three months together:

"the girl is precocious like me. I never imaged her this way. though I cannot lay much claim to her development, I feel that she is wholly a product of my influence. or, perhaps, she simply hates sussex and her new father, that doctor, in the same way I despised my own childhood.

"I have told her everything, more than I have ever said before to anyone else. the sculptor garden inscriptions… 'renardo fecit', etc., the gethsemene plays with moonshine martinis and stolen olives, all those bags of wet cocaine that lucy dug up and ate, poor dog, little john and I re-envisioning ourselves as the hounds of the calpe hunt (father was wellington), the migraines and the hospitals, the flag burning, running away, the sober student years, the trial, that terrifying and absurd 'execution', the prison camp, children, paris…

"little emily absorbs it all, can hardly believe a word of it, and wants nothing more than to live like daddy… she hates tennis now that she has lost almost every match. the girl's mother is obsessed with it, second-rate star that she is. anyway, I believe I have planted the seed for emily to come live with me again. her only regret would be to leave those awful black birds they have here. when she is blue she sits along the road and tosses rocks at them. I have given her a copy of prospero's daughters. she can't wait to meet her half sister."
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XI

despite his hopes, emily did not come to live with renard anytime soon, and in fact the next he saw her was during a brief visit she made in the summer of 2043 before heading to the states and the university of chicago.

october, 2040. diane george dies of an apparent drug overdose in a boat off the coast of algiers. two-year-old vera louisa moves in with renard, who enlists the help of mary anschluss, long time friend and literary compatriot (stairways to fable, 2028; the blue angel series, 2030-36).

ms. anschluss in turn enlists the aid of renard in editing her latest endeavor, a long serially-published manuscript that would eventually be issued collectively under the title injuries.

the nature of the renard-anschluss relationship has long remained mysterious. only recently has ms. anschluss' private letters come to light, among which are those from the years she lived in lyon and helped raise vera louisa.

"…whatever misgivings I have are washed away when I see the look in vera's eyes. she takes me for her mother, and surprisingly I do not mind it…

"…a. is a better friend than I have ever known him to be. I suspect that it is because he is not writing. at first his tenderness frightened me. of course, I said, he needs me. of course he is lonely. I felt it was all designed to make me stay. since when is a. renard so kind? but he did not relent and I realized that his need for me and his loneliness did not necessarily belie ulterior motives. I see that he has changed… there is so much passion now…

"…I cannot describe how he touches me. whatever genius he possesses has taken over his heart. it is there for vera, and it is there for me…

"…a. has written me a poem. It is so dirty that I will not transcribe it here. I cannot stop giggling. I suppose we will go to the beach this weekend…

"…he is a good father, even if a bit too preoccupied with our relationship. it must be strange for him not to think of me as vera's mother, nor even as just her caretaker, but as his lover. and what do I see myself as? how long will this go on, and where will it lead?"
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XII

mary anschluss stayed with renard until his death. for twenty-four years she provided stability and serenity to a man who had known little of it. after editing injuries, renard all but vanished from the public eye for several years. not until vera louisa entered grade school did he entertain thoughts of writing again. it is presumed that he began draft work on his masterpiece, st. anne's well, in 2045.

taking renard eleven years to write, he later claimed the timing of st. anne was deliberate. ("only a fool rushes through a gold mine.") to assuage the pestering of his editors, renard managed to write two short works of poetry-lite during his self-imposed breaks, the make-believe family and vera in wonderland.

the latter work caused much fuss and official criticism, as it seemingly portrayed his own daughter as a kind of amoral lolita character who discovers her latent lesbianism by chasing rabbits down holes.
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XIII

st. anne's well was published in 2057 and is generally considered to be one of the greatest works of the century. when lists of this sort are made, st. anne is inevitably grouped with anthony's the rabid years and jean-marc's fancy dress. no irony is lost here, since renard often made it clear what his feelings for jean-marc were…

"history judges him too soon. the critics swoon over his prose style… but what on earth is he really talking about? if anyone knows, please inform the rest of us. or not. no one will remember his name in twenty years." - BBC interview, 2050.

times editor john c. palmer on st. anne's well:

"by first embracing, then carefully dismantling archaeology, history, religion, the arts, science, mythology and characters from fiction, the protagonist of st. anne reveals to us the value of divine transgressions and righteous disobedience. through the character sylvan, renard exposes the sway of tradition as a mask of simple fears and a means of sublimation which must obviously fail us. 'let you not be content,' sylvan cries, 'with what is known. you can trust it less than what remains hidden.'"
rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**tbc. don't miss the thrilling conclusion! and thanks for reading. this is loads of fun for me.**
kame

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the eye strain, I enjoyed the story immensely.
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM, man...

...when I grow up, I wanna be like you.

Uncle Benny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I weren't having so much fun reading this potential biography I'd be pissing joy out of my... uh... pisser.
rm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g. r. sims on st. anne's well - "renard creates a convoluted world of metaphors, but it is his trick to imbue that world with more meaning than what the metaphors alone imply. he does this through the use of what he calls the 'active paradox.'

one such active paradox described is 'furthering faith through doubt' … (sylvan) - 'faith is a neurosis that doesn't go far enough. it is too content with itself. truth is not static, and neither can be any mind that wishes to learn it. faith must be accompanied by doubt, and vice-versa. faith and doubt essentially accomplish the same thing, that is: nothing at all. separately they are immobilizing forces, but together, in struggle with one another, they combine as a creative force.'

for renard, the moment of this creative force is the point at which both faith and doubt become unnecessary.

sylvan goes on to describe how one paradox creates another… 'the forces which give the sun its power are also drained in the giving. if it were not for it's atoms breaking apart there would be no nuclear power. but of course this is what ensures its eventual demise. in order to live it must submit to death. in turn, infinite life unfolds beneath it, because of it… life which also must die because it is, but, because it is, creates yet another layer of life. without death there would only have been a single layer, or a single point, and, if you believe in god, no point in creating another.'

for many, the implication that god devised his own death (changed forms) in order to create life (god also ensures its continuing existence as the imbuing force of this matrix) is renard's single greatest contribution to modern thought.

subsequently, renard spent much of his time after publication definding his arguments.

to wit: "god didn't commit suicide. god didn't die at all, in that way. don't you people know your physics? does electricity die when you plug a light in? no, it simply becomes useful."
rm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st. anne's well was a work which transfigured all of his past work into a radically new framework. changes in renard's inner and outer life left him both haunted and yet invigorated to follow a new, ascetic life.

one of the most dramatic expressions of this change was his decision in 2059 to give away a portion of the family fortune. the money was divided between three of the largest enviromental restoration and reclaimation foundations in the world: Existion, Exxon, and Envirotents.

next, renard, mary anschluss and eleven year old vera louisa moved into a small cottage in the languedoc-roussillon region. "I will grow wax beans and milk goats if I must, but I am tired of the city and I am tired of buying my food from mrs. ferrand. she never gives me the correct change." asked if he wasn't too old to start farming, he answered, "I am going to write a treatise on the milking of goats in the languedoc-roussillon. I am going to write it in my flesh."
rm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

life was quiet for several years. renard and mary raised vera-louisa among the simple town folks of the languedoc-roussillon. they began collecting stray cats, of which there were many. renard's personal favorites were Gray Power, Sophia, Banno, and Mistress. vera louisa was particularly fond of chickens.

april, 2063, renard has another seizure, his first in decades. two months later he has another. against his wishes, mary takes him in for evaluation. mary explains to dr. lumet that renard had often complained of being followed or shadowed by an invisible person.

from the report:

"patient knows the "shadow person" is not real, but experiences it just the same. sensory data innocuous... a "felt" phenomena. poss. neurological."

after a series of tests, dr. lumet recommends renard to the famous neuroscientist, dr. A. J. Vanderheydenat the laussane university hospital, switzerland.

as mary wrote to emily, "your father is furious with me for going behind his back, but I know something is not right and perhaps there is time yet to fix it. I don't want him to spend his last years being tormented by seizures and invisible people. he thinks he's crazy and that's fine with him, as long as no one thinks he's actually crazy. dr. lumet has other ideas and your father is just being stubbern as usual."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: