welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Officer Mehserle shoots dangerous criminal, is convicted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the presumption being made. Sure, innocent until proven guilty, definately, but the judicidal system, in most countries even, are slanted in favour of the police. Ask yourself this question had he not been a cop do you think the evrdict would have been different?
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by cop: it happens more often than you'd think, but less often than you'd like.

and yes, Him is now a meme

also sorry bro, I don't really wish you'd been shot dead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
That's the presumption being made. Sure, innocent until proven guilty, definately, but the judicidal system, in most countries even, are slanted in favour of the police. Ask yourself this question had he not been a cop do you think the evrdict would have been different?

I'm not even going to get into this thread at all, because I've been drinking and I'm pretty stupid anyway and can't do debates.

BUT

I think if he hadn't have been a cop the verdict would have been different. I also think had he not been a cop he might also have been charged with having two weapons on him, and also his friends would have been charged with pinning a guy to the ground. I also believe that had my grandmother a pair of testicles and a big fine old cock, she'd be my grandfather.

Last edited by Mr Gary on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary:

Him

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
Him wrote:

I'm not even going to get into this thread at all, because I've been drinking and I'm pretty stupid anyway and can't do debates.

BUT

I think if he hadn't have been a cop the verdict would have been different. I also think had he not been a cop he might also have been charged with having two weapons on him, and also his friends would have been charged with pinning a guy to the ground. I also believe that had my grandmother a pair of testicles and a big fine old cock, she'd be my grandfather.

Nevermind the illegal weapons charge for a minute, if, as the officer claimed, he shot because the situation was intimidating, well, are you suggesting cops get more easily intimidated? I don't think you are. You are missing the point here. And yeah, we have our own examples of cop murder, or killing by grave negliance, most recently they let a guy suffocate. I mean there seem to be a claim that cops should be given more leeway, I think the oppsite.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
That's the presumption being made. Sure, innocent until proven guilty, definately, but the judicidal system, in most countries even, are slanted in favour of the police.

thus, i have 'reflexive ignorance towards even the possibility that cops do murder and get away with it?'

you're weird.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Nevermind the illegal weapons charge for a minute, if, as the officer claimed, he shot because the situation was intimidating, well, are you suggesting cops get more easily intimidated? I don't think you are. You are missing the point here. And yeah, we have our own examples of cop murder, or killing by grave negliance, most recently they let a guy suffocate. I mean there seem to be a claim that cops should be given more leeway, I think the oppsite.

God damn I am going to regret this, aren't I?

NEVERMIND the fact I was making a joke (at your expense, sorry) for a moment.

Look, I love Ice-T as much as the next guy, and my first reaction was to snort and go 'huh, fucking pigs man'. I'm going to go ahead and agree this is 'killing by grave neglige' or whatever it was you said. I see two major cock ups, both which are explicable on a one-by-one basis.

1) cop feels threatened by what is really a non-threatening situation.
2) threat now (wrongly) established, cop makes decision to draw and use weapon, draws wrong weapon.

Both major cock-ups tied together = one unfit officer.

Cop is then sentenced lightly. It isn't breaking news. It is unfortunate, shit it's tragic. But what the fuck are you calling for?

Also, Presbo in The Wire series one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
I mean there seem to be a claim that cops should be given more leeway, I think the oppsite.

More leeway than what? The average citizen?

You cannot give someone the ability to enforce the law without privileging their version of events.
Willem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of (terribly) embarrassed about my behaviour in this thread. I have no idea what I was thinking. I actually haven't read anything past my last post because I'd just die of shame. From the giddy thread I gather that Him has arrived?

Anyway, I'm going to and celebrate my awkward embarrassment by going to the country that invented it: Britain. London, to be precise. (No time for a mini-Sincon, I'm afraid. Not that I'm ashamed of you guys, but I really don't feel like explaining to my friends that we're going to visit people from the internet)

When I'm back, I'll spend some time cringing at what I wrote here and try to conjure up some proper responses or something.
Mizike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just eat some traditional British food and you will have done more than enough penance. Hell, it would buy you two or three more threads like this.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cruel and unusual nourishment
gally912

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to add a small tidbit that it is more than likely the cop did not realize what he was doing.

As it has been stated, even highly trained individuals can fail routine tasks in their areas of expertise in stressful situations.

Now, if you are talking "local cop", it is a reasonable assumption that he has probably never fired his taser beyond initial training, and most cops don't even fire their sidearm *ever* beyond once or twice a year to maintain qualification.

I've met PD who's bullets have corroded from being left in a magazine for half a year.

If this had occurred during a raid being performed by SWAT or other specialized weapons troopers, I would be inclined towards a more weighty charge.
Him

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathan wrote:
Him wrote:
I mean there seem to be a claim that cops should be given more leeway, I think the oppsite.

You cannot give someone the ability to enforce the law without privileging their version of events.

Not when you got it on tape, bro.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
nathan wrote:
Him wrote:

Wait?! We have video cameras that read peoples minds and intent now? Holy fuck when we thought he was in Stockholm Him was busy revolutionizing the criminal justice systems of the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

Fun fact: the videos of the event preference the explanation that it was an unintentional usage of the firearm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: