welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Europe cannot achieve orgasm unless it evicts a Roma
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's wait for a possible Constitutional Council censorship.

It'd certainly not be the first time Sarkozy gets deliberately censored to play the outraged victim of the green-red blind corporatist judges.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, playing the victim doesn't go well with his goal, as I see it, which is to draw back far right votes into fold. They're manly men those are.

Whatever Brussels, rest of the world, or even French who aren't fond of Vichy-like policies, says it doesn't matter to him. Not yet.

In a month or so, the price to pay for that stance will be too dear, and the story will quietly fade back into the background. It's all politics as far as France is concerned. That's how I see it, and it seems to unfold that way. Some ministers were caught red-handed lying, which at least point out they're trying to distance themselves from predictable results.

Central Europa is another story. Still fishing for data on it, but that's not a cute bedtime story.

Last edited by Sam the Eagle on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Catel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/article/2010/09/15/washington-invite-paris-a-respecter-les-droits-des-roms_1411711_3224.html#ens_id=1389596

Now we're getting criticized by the very democrat administration. I take it as an honor.

Obama is still hugely popular in France - media coverage helps - and this critic tends to give him even more credit here...
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Relevant info:

Quote:
The French government had planned to send 93 Gypsies, or Roma, back to Romania on Thursday, but at least 18 didn't turn up for their flights, officials said.

The expulsions come amid French concerns over how to deal with mobile populations in the expanded version of the European Union. Over the past decade, Central and East European countries including Hungary, Bulgaria and Romania, whose populations are generally poorer than West Europeans, have joined the EU. Most of Europe's estimated 11 million Gypsies live in the east. The EU guarantees freedom of movement to citizens of member states, but only on condition that they can support themselves.

French Interior Minister Brice Hortefeux said the problem was illegal camps. "We are enforcing simple rules," he said. "One cannot just illegally occupy land without authorization."

The returns on Thursday were part of a "voluntary" repatriation program, in which each adult is granted €300 (about $390) and each minor €100 for returning to his or her country of origin. Those who stay too long in France and who don't choose to return under the program voluntarily will later receive an order from the government to leave the country anyway, though such orders are sometimes difficult to enforce.

France has been expelling foreign Gypsies for the past few years—an estimated 12,000 were deported in 2009, according to Alexandre Le Clève, a spokesman for advocacy group Rom Europe. There have been 25 rounds of expulsions already this year, according to the Interior Ministry, which didn't give the total number of people involved.

insofar as I understand the situation, what with the protests, anti-roma violence, expulsions from various assorted sundry european states including the big one in italy, roma are so hated over there that it isn't even funny, and a kid who grows up roma will have to deal with poverty, low life expectancy, and a phenomenal amount of cultural prejudice.

However, on the other hand, the Roma don't help themselves any, either. Theirs is a sociopathic and entrapping culture that is rife with violence, drug use, child abuse, and children are trained essentially to not regard outsiders as anything but easy marks.

Even the most tolerant people I know say that they absolutely, absolutely do not trust roma and that the camps are terrible things that they really do want as far away from them as possible. Most people encounter roma as grifters and swindlers who 'come by' to help you put your bags in your car outside the supermarket, and children are enlisted and given costumes to constantly and aggressively panhandle alongside their parents.

so.

idk what you all think about the whole deal.

Late in the discussion I know, but from what I'm getting is that 'they're basically living up to the worst of the stereotypes that have been perpetrated about them for centuries' is what you're saying, right? Kinda like the Pikers in Snatch only - all the charm of Brad Pitt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been following it, some. In that case it has to do with which camp we're talking about. Some are horrible, some are fine.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seriously, for fucks sakes, Darq.
Mizike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of racism, France is crap.

Quote:
I am no expert on French constitutional law, so I have little to say about the legal correctness of the ruling. I should also note that the institution of judicial review is much weaker in France than in the US or in some European nations such as Germany. Thus, the court’s highly deferential posture and cursory dismissal of the religious freedom issues involved may well be a correct ruling under French law.

I will say, however, that if the decision is not mistaken, it is a serious indictment of the French constitution that its protection of religious and personal freedom is so weak. The justifications offered by the court for a massive infringement on the religious practices of hundreds of thousands of French Muslims [update: probably “only” thousands, depending on how many actually wear veils and what kinds of headgear are actually covered by the ban] are at best extremely dubious. For example, it is simply not true that women who voluntarily wear veils necessarily end up in a “condition of exclusion and inferiority manifestly incompatible with the constitutional principles of liberty and equality.” Right here where I live in northern Virginia, there is a substantial Muslim population and many (though by no means all) all of the Muslim women wear veils. That doesn’t prevent them from having jobs outside the home, getting an education, and participating in politics and government in much the same way as unveiled women do. Some other religious groups, such as Orthodox Jews, also impose fairly strict requirements of modest dress on women. They too are not thereby blocked from full participation in society.

Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would go both here or in the Youtube thread :

Niqabitches yeahh
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:
Speaking of racism, France is crap.

Interesting read, totally off the mark.

Quote:
I am no expert on French constitutional law, so I have little to say about the legal correctness of the ruling. <snippity>

That's alas the one thing this council can do. It'll judge whether or not a law is against the Constitution or not, it doesn't pass judgment on said law. Comments made by "Positroll" & "Litigator London" are making a lot more sense than the original blogger to me.

Side point: most (never looked up if all of them) of EU members states that EU laws have a higher autorithy than local laws (but lower than national constitutions). In other words, a law enacted by EU is stronger than a law enacted by this or that country. So, if EU states that said law is against EU ruling, then it'll be repelled forthwith. Add that this silly law only applies to 0.03% of the population, should point out that it's just a political tool to be used for the incoming elections.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: