welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pope quotes 14th Century Christian Emperor, hilarity ensues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man.

Aha! A bleedin' heart tree-hugging pinko subversive!

Quote:
I notice you seem to be a bit... proboscially challenged.

Because I like to keep my nose out of other people's business..

Dogen wrote:
what does the lack of any definable body mean?

It means he's all face.
kame

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday, 17 September 2006, 13:58 GMT

BBC wrote:
Pope sorry for offending Muslims
Pope Benedict XVI has apologised in person for causing offence to Muslims in a speech in Bavaria last week.

He said the medieval text which he quoted did not express in any way his personal opinion, adding the speech was an invitation to respectful dialogue.

The Pope has been under intense scrutiny amid angry reactions from throughout the Muslim world.

The 14th Century Christian emperor's quote said the Prophet Muhammad brought the world only evil and inhuman things.

The BBC's Christian Fraser in Rome says many critics will say Sunday's comments should have been attached to his speech in Regensburg, which may well have avoided the controversy that followed.

Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood described the Pope's remarks as a "sufficient apology".

Turkish Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul said the Pope's visit to Turkey was still expected to go ahead in November.

'Mutual respect'

The Pope appeared on the balcony at his residence at Castel Gandolfo outside Rome for the Angelus blessing on Sunday.

"I am deeply sorry for the reactions in some countries to a few passages of my address at the University of Regensburg, which were considered offensive to the sensibility of Muslims," he told pilgrims.

"These in fact were a quotation from a medieval text, which do not in any way express my personal thought.

"I hope this serves to appease hearts and to clarify the true meaning of my address, which in its totality was and is an invitation to frank and sincere dialogue, with mutual respect."

Hours before the Pope spoke, two churches in the West Bank were attacked with firebombs in what was believed to be a reaction to the Bavaria speech.

And in the Somali capital Mogadishu, an Italian nun was shot dead by gunmen. The shooting may have been connected to strong criticism of the speech by a radical Somali cleric.

Protests

There was tightened security around the Vatican for the Pope's blessing.

Marksmen kept watch on the square from a city hall while officers, dressed like tourists, filmed the crowd with video cameras.

Police confiscated umbrellas and bottles of liquid.

Our correspondent says the crisis could not have come at a worse time for the Pope.

Aside from his Turkish visit, he has also recently appointed two new men to the jobs of secretary of state and head of diplomacy at the Vatican.

In his speech at Regensburg University on Tuesday, the German-born Pope quoted Emperor Manuel II Paleologos of the Orthodox Christian Byzantine Empire.

Stressing that they were not his own words, he quoted the emperor saying: "Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

He also said violence was "incompatible with the nature of God and the nature of the soul".

Reactions to the speech came from such leaders as Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, who said efforts to link Islam and terrorism should be clearly opposed.

Street protests were held in Pakistan, India, Turkey and Gaza.

So many things I could say, so many things I want to say. But the best irony ever:

- Pope gives speach about open dialogue, a bunch of Muslims go nuts, accuse papacy of racism.
- Pope warns against religion without logic, protestors act like idiots.
- Pope says that noone should die because of their religion, people die because of their religion.

If I was the Pope I'd give a public address where I read that speach in about 15 different languages until everyone got just what the fuck I was trying to say.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Aha! A bleedin' heart tree-hugging pinko subversive!

But Cyrano is a classic... making me a Classical Liberal, not a pinko.

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Because I like to keep my nose out of other people's business..

I rather shudder to think what you keep to the grindstone.

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
It means he's all face.

Hard to trust your objectivity, when clearly you spite even your own face.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
But Cyrano is a classic... making me a Classical Liberal, not a pinko.

Still a foreigner! A foreigner who gets others to do his dirty work for him!

Quote:
I rather shudder to think what you keep to the grindstone.

That's what the chinhorns are for. That, and looking rugged.

Quote:
Hard to trust your objectivity, when clearly you spite even your own face.

See? I'm no hypocrite! Hypocrite being one who puts on a mask and feigns himself to be what he is not! Dissembler!
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Still a foreigner! A foreigner who gets others to do his dirty work for him!

I am Lord of the Tengu! Of course my minions carry out the tasks I assign them! I can't see why you'd fail to understand something as plain as the nose on your face!

Oh. Right.

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
That's what the chinhorns are for. That, and looking rugged.

But they... I mean... Yeah. They do look pretty rugged.

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
See? I'm no hypocrite! Hypocrite being one who puts on a mask and feigns himself to be what he is not! Dissembler!

I reveal my true form only in dreams, lest my glory melt the eyes of the weak-willed.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: stop the world I wanna get off Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Sam wrote:
The people protesting the speech. And there's a lot of complete contempt for the speech in the Islamic world.

I was saying that the vast, vast majority of those protesting the speech have not actually heard or read it, and do not understand how ridiculous their protest is.

We were never in disagreement. I'm about as sad now as I was when they rioted over a bunch o' cartoons.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to be establishing a pattern wherein someone in the West will do or say something concerning Islam that is perhaps objectionable but certainly allowable in a free and liberal society and the Muslim world will react with screaming, diplomatic sanctions, violence, and threats of violence until the offensive Western party retracts its statement and bows and scrapes to appease the madmen.

One wonders how long this state of affairs can persist.

-Slick
Atlantean Relic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wish I had the money to make a 24 hour Mohammed cartoon network
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
We seem to be establishing a pattern wherein someone in the West will do or say something concerning Islam that is perhaps objectionable but certainly allowable in a free and liberal society and the Muslim world will react with screaming, diplomatic sanctions, violence, and threats of violence until the offensive Western party retracts its statement and bows and scrapes to appease the madmen.

One wonders how long this state of affairs can persist.

Heyhey, after all the trouble I went through to get those links supporting my assertions you're going to leave out "Jewbashing and calling for the destruction of Israel?"
kame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so Benedict apologizes for his choice of quotation. Everyone's happy, right? We can all start hating the Jews again, right? (there WoC, that one was just for you Razz)

WRONG!

Quote:
Influential Qatari Muslim scholar, Yusuf al-Qaradawi, called for a day of anger on Friday, saying the Pope had not apologised.

Yes, because God wants you to be a bunch of angry, close-minded idiots.

Quote:
Sami Abu Zuhri, a spokesman for Hamas, which controls the Palestinian parliament, said: "We do not view the statement attributed to the Pope as an apology."

Alright, what constitutes an apology? In all honesty, they might have been replying to the statement made by the Pope's secretary, but still.

Quote:
In the Indonesian capital, Jakarta, a spokesman for the Islamist group, Hizbut Tahrir, told a rally that the Pope's statements had been fuelled by an extreme hatred of Islam, and his expressions of regret were insincere.

Yes, because there are so many examples of Benedict hating on the muslims, pre and post papacy. Another close-minded, shit disturber. Telling your followers that the leader of another major religion hates yours is a good way to frenzy up the base, but fuck, that's disingenous, and if it isn't, you, Mr. Tahrir, are retarded.

And finally, a voice of reason.
Quote:

At the UN in New York, the president of the General Assembly, Haya Rashed al Khalifa, the first Muslim woman to head the global assembly, called on religious leaders to promote reconciliation.

She made no specific reference to the Pope's remarks but said religious forces could advance dialogue, reconciliation and peace and help people embrace difference.

Is it racist of me to wish that the general run of religious fundamentalist could at least be a quarter as sane as this woman? All quotes from the BBC.

Does it count that I'm an atheist, who disagrees with catholicisms' official stance on abortion, contraception, the immaculate conception (or any 'miracle'), forced celibacy on the priesthood, no female priests, and, you know, the existence of God, would defend what this man said? Does he get any points for that?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of calling for A Day of Anger. I think this should have been put into practice as a national event when the Prequels debuted.
lordomni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, without reading the speach the papal apology is very weasel-like. I apologize for people being offended, not I apologize for offending. Big difference.
sporko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i noticed that too. not "i apologise for my actions"... it's "i'm sorry that people reacted that way."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems reasonable, given that he didn't do anything wrong.

-Slick
jsimpleton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
That seems reasonable, given that he didn't do anything wrong.

LOL!!!, that's what makes it so funny Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: