Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok wtf british festers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Ok wtf british festers Reply with quote

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/crime/s/1353148_facebook_troll_jailed_after_targeting_jade_goody_tribute_page?page=2&page_size=25#comments

Thoughts?

Reading the comments im finding that apparently 3 kids beat and tortured an autistic boy for 3 days or something and got off relatively scot free. This guy does some nasty trolling and gets 4.5 months in jail.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought Nr. 1, maybe you shouldn't get your news from the comments section. Maybe get back to us after finding some proper information on the other case.

That said, I'm not exactly a fan of jail time for trolling.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey cuntrag, when I ask for THOUGHTS, rather than stating an opinion or commenting on how fucked up it is its because im asking for more information from people in the country who would have had more exposure to that news.

So thought number 1 for me.
I hope you die of syphillis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus, Monkey, calm the fuck down. Guy sounds like he has more issues than trolling, note 'imaginary acts of paedophillia'.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
Jesus, Monkey, calm the fuck down. Guy sounds like he has more issues than trolling, note 'imaginary acts of paedophillia'.

Which is pretty much what i was thinking, that said I was unaware that the UK had a law against offensive speech. Here in the U.S. people just have to deal with or ignore it, and I had assumed there was a similar standard over there.

I still hope smartass mcgee up there dies of syphillis though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, you use info from internet commenters on news articles at your peril.
Willem

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, Monkey could be being clever and he could be 'trolling' in honour of the man that was jailed for it.

Or he could just be an incredible waste of space. <= it's this one.
Kilgore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Here in the U.S. people just have to deal with or ignore it, and I had assumed there was a similar standard over there.

The U.S. is more protective of offensive speech than pretty much any other country in the world.

-Slick
Bart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Hey cuntrag, when I ask for THOUGHTS, rather than stating an opinion or commenting on how fucked up it is its because im asking for more information from people in the country who would have had more exposure to that news.

So thought number 1 for me.
I hope you die of syphillis.

First off, take some deep breaths, I wouldn't want you to die of a heart-attack just because people on the internet disagree with you.

You ask for thoughst on the article, my thoughts are that I think such laws shouldn't exist. If you wanted more information instead of people's opinion, you should have asked "can anyone give me more information" instead of simply "thoughts ?"

Then you post a comment about another case, which is quite unrelated to the trolling case and all the information you have about it is a comment on a news site. Are you really surprised people have an issue with posting something that is 1. irrelevant, 2. is based on nothing but hearsay ?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Here in the U.S. people just have to deal with or ignore it, and I had assumed there was a similar standard over there.

The U.S. is more protective of offensive speech than pretty much any other country in the world.

Doesn't this stem from the fact that in the US the burden of proof lies with the offended proving that the offender meant the speech to be slanderous whereas in Great Britain the offender has to prove that they were not intending the speech to be offensive, even if it's true (i.e. you can say something truthful about a person and still be held accountable for being slanderous)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it has more to do with different ideas about what should and shouldn't be protected speech. The US has historically erred on the side of protecting all speech, most of the rest of the world hasn't. This might be due to the fact that the freedom of speech is explicitly written into the Bill of Rights, the first amendments to pass and considered totally fundamental. These protections were there at the beginning, in other words. Many other countries weren't starting from a clean slate.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news1.ghananation.com/international/33936-3-evil-bullies-who-tortured-autistic-boy-17-walk-free-from-manchester-court.html

There ya go, First dozen or so links all link to that story. That's what was referred to in the comments.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
This might be due to the fact that the freedom of speech is explicitly written into the Bill of Rights, the first amendments to pass and considered totally fundamental. These protections were there at the beginning, in other words. Many other countries weren't starting from a clean slate.

Most modern constitutions include the freedom of speech, no? I think the American obsession with freedom of speech comes from the years of propaganda during the cold war in the same way that Americans love to talk about "freedom" and "liberty".

And Monkey: that still doesn't have anything to do with this whole thing. The only link is some douche in a comments section.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fucking suck at context Willem, on top of being a sad bitter little man.

Guy trolls hideously, 4.5 months in jail

Three 17 year olds beat and abuse an autistic kid film it and put it on youtube, causing him to move out of the city. 80 hours of community service and 12 months probation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Most modern constitutions include the freedom of speech, no? I think the American obsession with freedom of speech comes from the years of propaganda during the cold war in the same way that Americans love to talk about "freedom" and "liberty".

Yeah, they include such clauses, but Kilgore is spot-on in that the US is the most aggressive in defending it. Our libel laws make it virtually impossible for a media outlet to lose a case and we don't pass absurd bans on minarets and headscarves.

Say what you will about the hubbub in New York City and Park51, the impediments have all been public relations issues, not legal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: