welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Godville anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magniflorious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idlethought wrote:
Mizike wrote:
But it's all fun, there's no right way, and all the randomness makes almost everything meaningless anyways.

There's something profound in that...

Definitely some kind of philosophical lesson in there somewhere.
"Yes."
[long pause]
"Friend!"
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idlethought wrote:
trustedfaith wrote:
Hey guys, I joined. Smile
I'm still trying to learn all this though. Any tips to help?

The first 30 pages of this thread, when we were all figuring it out too lol. Early levels = get money for equipment and think about the alignment (good/evil) you want for your character. Encourage heals/turns good, Punish hurts (sometimes you, sometimes your enemy, sometimes both)/turns evil.

**edit: Oh, and don't try to guide your hero's behavior via positive/negative reinforcement. They're not that smart. The best thing you can do if you want your hero to do something is to tell them directly using the god voice. (I wish "stop being a dumbass" worked though...)

Yeah I've learned quickly she doesn't listen to anything I say.

I've read this whole thread, so I'm trying to figure it out as I go. The tips I think I need the most help on would be for the arena. I haven't done that yet, but would like to see what worked for everyone else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Idlethought

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your style really and how much you care (if you care at all) about alignment. If you're going for pure evil (or as close to evil as you can get), you would do well to punish your hero in the arena in the hopes that itll hit your opponent. Note that punishes work best when used in tandem with your hero's turn, so that you effectively hit twice in one turn. You can sometimes kill your opponent with a well-placed punishment + attack. I'm not an arena champion myself, but I've typically used punishes only when I thought it would be a killing strike. Otherwise, I use the god voice and talk my hero into doing things like healing himself.

If you're going Light side, then you wanna focus only on using encourages, though this (like the punishments) can backfire horribly and heal both you and your opponent, or even worse, just your opponent. I can't really say much on when to use them though. I just do it before my (light side) guy dies.

Otherwise, use your god voice to tell your hero to do things. You want to use control words like "heal yourself", "pray", etc. And don't be afraid to use like 5 or 6 of them at once. There don't seem to be any adverse effects to doing so (as far as I can tell), so mix them up. Say like "heal! pray! attack! rest!" Or something like that. For other tips you wanna ask some of the arena pros, like picturesofsky
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the help! I really do appreciate it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, we've dropped to 47, which is exactly where we were about a month ago. How weird.

In another note, it's getting harder and harder to stay in the top ten gladiatorship pantheon. Evil is definitely the way to go - playing good in the arena is just boring boring boring. I'm pretty certain to give up playing the good character altogether soon, and just concentrate on the evil one. Who has the time? Smile Maybe I'll level him up to the top of the good pantheon and just leave him there :-p Although I think your alignment status degrades over time, as I left my pure evil hero, and came back to find him vicious a day later.
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, my heroine degraded from 'gentle' back to 'neutral' when i didn't have time to be involved for a few days.

hey - she has a skill! ...'elbow bite'. well, i'm at 100% power, with 3 recharges - maybe we'll take a trip to the arena, to see how that works.
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to get to number 8 on the gladiatorship pantheon, and I lost to a chain-punisher because 2 encourages failed in a row. Now number 11. Officially sulking.
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffered my first loss in the arena because of this:

I just clicked, "Send to Arena."

My wife says, "Honey, can you fold the laundry?"

fuck

I'm never sending my hero to the arena again when my wife is home.
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ipod touch - multitasking!

I've noticed your number of defeats is really really important. With 1 defeat, I was gaining about 50 points in the ratings for each victory. With 2 defeats, it's more like 30 points.
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of... kind of huffquitting godville. There's an increasing amount of chain punishing heroes. As soon as you can use commands in a duel, they just punish every turn. Punish tends to do more damage than encourage, and work more often. No matter how much you spend, or how often you encourage, they eventually usually win, even if you use voice commands.

It's not fun, it's not even a game. Sad
Magniflorious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picturesofsky wrote:
I'm kind of... kind of huffquitting godville. There's an increasing amount of chain punishing heroes. As soon as you can use commands in a duel, they just punish every turn. Punish tends to do more damage than encourage, and work more often. No matter how much you spend, or how often you encourage, they eventually usually win, even if you use voice commands.

It's not fun, it's not even a game. Sad

I use chain punishing on my evil hero. I usually end up facing neutral or kind heroes, too. So I take a little less damage than I deal out.
"Yes."
[long pause]
"Friend!"
Mizike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why do all of my punishes keep hitting me?

Sad panda face.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it might be interesting to walk away for a while and see where your hero ends up. mine has upped her elbow-biting skill to level 4, and now she's finally consistently upgrading her equipment. she's even managed to get a few bricks on her own.

hey, leave your guy alone, and he may have your temple built by the time you check in on him again!
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it :-p I can't do that with games. I either complete them, or never play, heh. Plus I've totally obsessed about this, I do need to find other things to do with my life Wink
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought she was supposed to listen to me more when she's in the arena? she totally doesn't listen to me.

managed to pull a win out anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 34 of 48

Jump to: