welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pope quotes 14th Century Christian Emperor, hilarity ensues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazedb42 wrote:
Major Tom wrote:
you can violate turkish law while speaking in germany?

Is it the germans or the austrians who want to arrest the Ayatollah for denying the holocaust? I forget, but same shit different bat channel.

I think it's the Germans, they are quite literately uber-sensitive with anything even remotely involving the Nazis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
I'd respect the protesters complaints, if they made any sense, as it stands, I want to send them all this:

Mine's by Carl Cohen and Ivring Copi, 11th edition.
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

Why did the Daily Show take the "quote was purely offensive and we're going to ignore the context of the rest of the speech which made it totally non-offensive" tack? I had higher hopes for them...
kame

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC wrote:

Pope says he was 'misunderstood'

Pope Benedict XVI has told pilgrims at the Vatican his remarks on Islam that angered Muslims around the world had been misunderstood.

He expressed his "deep respect" for Islam during his weekly audience.

He said his use of medieval quotes from a 14-Century Byzantine emperor which were critical of Islam did not reflect his own convictions.

But he said he hoped his German speech could lead to a "self-critical dialogue" among faiths and cultures.

"I included a quotation on the relationship between the religion and violence. This quotation unfortunately was misunderstood. In no way did I wish to make my own the words of some medieval emperor," he told thousands of faithful.

"I wish to explain that not religion and violence but that religion and reason go together. I hope that my profound respect for world religions and for Muslims who worship the one God and which help to promote peace, liberties, justice and moral values for the benefit of all humanity is clear.

"I trust that after the initial reaction, my words at the university of Regensburg can constitute an impulse and encouragement toward positive, even self-critical dialogue both among religions and between modern reason and Christian faith," he added.

'Inhuman'

This is the third time the Pope has apologised for the effect of his words at a public lecture in Germany last week, says the BBC's David Willey in Rome, but it remains to be seen whether his words are going to be accepted by his Muslim critics.

The Pope has faced calls from Muslims for an unequivocal apology, but has so far only said he regrets the offence his words caused.

In the speech in Germany, he quoted medieval Byzantine emperor Manuel II Paleologos criticising some teachings of the Prophet Mohammed as "evil and inhuman".

The speech sparked several days of protests in Muslim countries.

This too shall be seen as 'insufficient' by people not qualified to lead the Wal-Mart cheer, let alone a religious congregation.
What happena my handle?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Sam wrote:
... amid the Turkish government's comparisons of Benedict to Hitler.

But remember, the Holocaust didn't happen. Nossiree Bobmohammed. Those Zionists are just lying so they can steal The Holy Land.
Wow, that's contradictory. Therefore, under some people's idea of devout Muslim thinking, it may very well be considered divine, since only God can contradict himself without lying.

Then again, it could just be a lie, or confusion. Must suck to have that kind of faith. Which was the Pope's point.

I just read the speech, & I really think he was talking to Christians (& post-Christian Westerners) with this. The quote refers to an argument between two intellectual traditions--one very Greek, & one very unGreek--as part of Benedict's argument for the importance of logic as formulated by the Greek Academy & Hellenistic tradition.

Sure, there are Muslims for whom dogma & tradition are all. But I've known (& think Benedict was talking more about) Christians who thought that way about God. It's sad. Logic must precede faith.

That the offense taken in the "World of Submission" has been so violent & irrational sort of demonstrates the Pope's point, or a corollary of it. To be without humble logic & careful reason is to behave like savage brutes.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happena my handle? wrote:
To be without humble logic & careful reason is to behave like savage brutes.

so...to properly serve the lord you must first understand his ways?

doesn't sound like any religious teaching i ever heard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: