Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future Darwin Award winner tries to hug panda...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Future Darwin Award winner tries to hug panda... Reply with quote

... guess what happened!

CNN wrote:
BEIJING, China (AP) -- A drunken Chinese tourist bit a panda at the Beijing Zoo after the animal attacked him when he jumped into the enclosure and tried to hug it, state media said Wednesday.

Zhang Xinyan had drunk four pitchers of beer at a restaurant before "stumbling to the zoo" nearby and stopping off at the pen holding a sleeping 6-year-old male panda, Gu Gu, on Tuesday, the Beijing Morning Post said.

"He felt a sudden urge to touch the panda with his hand" and jumped over a waist-high railing down into the enclosure, the newspaper said. "When he got closer and was undiscovered, he reached out to hug it."

Startled, Gu Gu bit Zhang in the right leg, it said. Zhang, a 35-year-old migrant laborer from central Henan province, got angry and kicked the panda, who then bit his other leg. A tussle ensued, the paper said.

"I bit the fellow in the back," Zhang was quoted as saying in the newspaper. "Its skin was quite thick."

Other tourists yelled for a zookeeper, who soon got the panda under control by spraying it with water, reports said. Zhang was hospitalized.

Newspaper photographs showed Zhang lying on a hospital bed with blood-soaked bandages and several seams of stitches running down his leg.

The Beijing Youth Daily quoted Zhang, a father of two who was visiting Beijing for the first time, as saying that he had seen pandas on television and "they seemed to get along well with people."

"No one ever said they would bite people," Zhang said. "I just wanted to touch it. I was so dizzy from the beer. I don't remember much."

Ye Mingxia, a spokeswoman for the Beijing Zoo, confirmed the incident happened but would not give any details. She said Gu Gu was "healthy and uninjured."

"We're not considering punishing him now," Ye said in a telephone interview. "He's suffered quite a bit of shock."

China has more than 180 pandas living in captivity. A 2002 government census found there were just 1,596 pandas left in the wild.

But state media has said a new study by Chinese and British scientists has found there might be as many as 3,000.

In 2003, a college student trying to take a photo of a panda in the Beijing Zoo jumped into the enclosure and broke his bones in the fall, the Beijing Morning Post said.

It did not say which panda it was or if it attacked the student.

rm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Future Darwin Award winner tries to hug panda... Reply with quote

Quote:
..."When he got closer and was undiscovered, he reached out to hug it."

Startled, Gu Gu bit Zhang in the right leg, it said. Zhang, a 35-year-old migrant laborer from central Henan province, got angry and kicked the panda, who then bit his other leg. A tussle ensued, the paper said.

"I bit the fellow in the back," Zhang was quoted as saying in the newspaper. "Its skin was quite thick."

how surreal. it starts out so cute and funny. he just wanted to hug the panda. then he gets irate and kicks it. a moment later he is biting it in the back. "you big meanie, I just wanted to huuuuug yoooouuuuu!!!"
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was the beer, man. yet another example of the evils of alcohol.

i'm interested that he tried to bite its back, though. i mean, they're fairly good-sized critters. biting one on the back would be like trying to bite a sofa cushion, or something.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a really _fuzzy_ sofa cushion.
Major Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is possible this fellow is accustomed to biting sofa cushions
BoySetsFire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Tom wrote:
it is possible this fellow is accustomed to biting sofa cushions

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

i'm interested that he tried to bite its back, though. i mean, they're fairly good-sized critters. biting one on the back would be like trying to bite a sofa cushion, or something.

another thing; biting it on the back would mean you actually had the time to get behind the panda, time you could have used for running away...
Him

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
mouse wrote:

another thing; biting it on the back would mean you actually had the time to get behind the panda, time you could have used for running away...

Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

AfyonBlade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have this problem with wanting to go huggle the Siberian Tigers in the zoo. I think that would be a lot worse than hugging a pissed off post-nap panda, though.
Be Evil.
Cassadar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AfyonBlade wrote:
I always have this problem with wanting to go huggle the Siberian Tigers in the zoo. I think that would be a lot worse than hugging a pissed off post-nap panda, though.

hmm yeah maybe.... just a bit worse ^^

but still.... if you ever decide to actually do thast bring someone with you who captures it all on film ^^

see you on youtube
mwuahahaha Twisted Evil
The Victim Here

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...who soon got the panda under control by spraying it with water...
"No Gu Gu!"
*Squirt*
"Bad Gu Gu!"

AfyonBlade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassadar wrote:
AfyonBlade wrote:

hmm yeah maybe.... just a bit worse ^^

but still.... if you ever decide to actually do thast bring someone with you who captures it all on film ^^

see you on youtube
mwuahahaha Twisted Evil

Will do. Smile
Be Evil.
Cap'n Lazarus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, biting the panda on the back makes sense--it's the side away from the teeth.
AfyonBlade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you just got away from those teeth, and you just used that chance to latch onto the panda.
Be Evil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: