welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ner ner ner the thread: Santorum knows about Soylent Dutch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess 'cause it's another thing that makes NPR look bad, especially to the republicans that want to kill all the funding, and they are hoping maybe they can still save the funding.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willem wrote:
Nobody cares though. The guy in question already left NPR before this became public and the only people that find anything the guy said offensive are Tea Partiers.

oh no! this might make tea partiers dislike and shun NPR!
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's part of what infuriated me: he's not part of NPR anymore and nothing he says or any of his responses are offensive. They try to get him to say 'inflammatory statements' (mind you, inflammatory to teapartiers) but he INSANELY artfully and democratically sidesteps them.

Ironically, watching the video makes me like Schiller more, but then again I'm not a teaparty member.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear to god, if they defund NPR this shit is going to get PERSONAL.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, according to Schiller, NPR would lose 1% of it's funding w/o Uncle Sam, while the station network as a whole would lose 10%, with many individual stations being forced to close down completely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because NPR, the company, is just a producer/distributor of programming. Local stations sign up to be members which gives them access to NPR's material. NPR only gets a tiny (single-digit percentage) slice of its revenue from grants by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, but member stations depend somewhat more heavily on government subsidies as well as donations and underwriting.

I was recently arguing with someone who said that NPR gets stations "for free." I tried to point out that NPR doesn't actually own stations, local non-commercial outfits do, and that those frequencies are reserved for non-commercial (not necessarily NPR) usage, and other groups that aren't affiliated with NPR have access to those frequencies. He didn't care, in fact he wanted ALL of the reserved non-commercial frequencies auctioned off, under the argument that the current system amounted to giving NPR "billions" of dollars' worth in station frequencies. All this had something to do with NPR's "bias" and how the government shouldn't fund such biased organizations.
nathan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely agree.

That's why I think the national parks should be auctioned off to the highest bidder. All those non-profit citizens are just MILKING that shit. And make no mistake: it's the taxpayer eating the cost of all that free access.

Disgusting.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
He didn't care, in fact he wanted ALL of the reserved non-commercial frequencies auctioned off, under the argument that the current system amounted to giving NPR "billions" of dollars' worth in station frequencies.

um....."billions of dollars's worth"? which they undoubtedly get from the advertising that they don't sell?

your friend doesn't actually know the first thing about how media generate revenue, does he?

i was listening to a bit of discussion on this (on NPR, of course) - one of the people involved was also of the opinion that NPR should be free of government support, just to avoid this sort of partisan nonsense about funding. he pointed out that these days, a lot of shows are becoming self-supporting, because they have podcasts and websites and people give money to them directly, not through the stations. however, as wheels says, it's the small member stations that would lose out - they don't have enough of a population base to support themselves entirely through donations. if people switch over to listening over the web, i guess that will mean people will still have access, even if the stations disappear, but that does depend on whether they can afford computers and internet access and stuff like that.

besides, i can't listen to the computer in my car!
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
besides, i can't listen to the computer in my car!

Get a better cell phone Wink
Mizike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presented without comment.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike wrote:

Page not found - FoxNews.com

(maybe that's comment enough)
Mizike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Mizike wrote:

Page not found - FoxNews.com

(maybe that's comment enough)

The bastards took it down, but it still exists.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah. and since officials actually learned of the suicide during obama's speech, it is clear that the speech is totally responsible for the suicide. no matter how much earlier it might have happened.
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Nederlanders,

I realize that you have some political problems of your own, what with Geert Wilders and your stupid burqa ban and all, but could you please do us Youessians a favor? Take Pete Hoekstra back. We gave him a chance, but it's just not working out.

Predictably, he's calling it satire:
Politico wrote:
The Hoekstra campaign called the advertisement “satirical” and explained the broken English in the video as a reflection of China’s increasingly competitive education system.
“You have a Chinese girl speaking English - I want to hit on the education system, essentially. The fact that a Chinese girl is speaking English is a testament to how they can compete with us, when an American boy of the same age speaking Mandarin is absolutely insane, or unthinkable right now,” Hoekstra spokesperson Paul Ciaramitaro told POLITICO. “It exhibits another way in which China is competing with us globally.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 58 of 60

Jump to: