welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hey everybody it's a thread about the tea party
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
For example, as I've mentioned before there is simply no incentive to go under budget. If you are working a multi-year project and come in under budget for the fiscal year, your next years funding gets cut to that level. So what happens is when you do come under budget that in the few months before the end of the fiscal year they will spend the extra money on any freaking thing they can think of to avoid coming in under budget. When I first observed this I actually called the waste fraud and abuse hotline. I got told it was routine and not to sweat it.

I've seen this, too. It's usually "hrm, we're under budget... Who wants Macbook Pros?" I'll certainly agree this is wrong, from many, many perspectives (one new one I didn't appreciate before I started working in purchasing - the commodities markets for things like iron can alter material costs on a day-by-day basis, up or down relatively unpredictably, causing significant deviations from cost estimates). Given the way beauracracy and our political system "work," I just don't see how this is ever going to change.

Though reflecting on this, I do wonder about other countries - do they have the same perverse incentive to never come in under budget, for their defense industries?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe China? Although they have this habit of mitigating their budget at certain intervals because their economy is so strong, they can't (or rather, won't) handle the surplus.

But I imagine China is also one of those countries where their defense budget is, as you say, almost perversely managed to never go under the budget.
eureka00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/the-wisconsin-gops-mccarthyite-targeting-of-a-scott-walker-critic/2011/03/03/AFJSGyVB_blog.html

Interesting.
Mizike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting doesn't do this story justice by half. Cronon is a bit of a legend in the field of history. And Wisconsin is basically the premier destination for grad school if you study history.

Walker and the wingnuts continue to redefine the word indefensible.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link's not working for me, Euro. Invalid URL?
In fact, I just tried to go there from a Google search and the Goog-supplied link didn't work either.
Mizike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine for me. Very strange.
eureka00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to get to it via Washington Post site? Works fine for me and I just copy/pasted it directly from a friend.

I should talk to my friend working on his PhD at University of Wisconsin. I bet this is causing quite a stir on campus.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I tried it the first time Firefox gave me a warning about the certificate being untrustworthy, but I added what I thought was a temporary exception and told it go ahead. It's still not working now.
I think I accidentally told it to strip out the "https://www.washingtonpost.com" part of the url, leaving me with just the / at the tend. Now that I've deleted that exception, I'm getting the Untrusted Connection warning again. I think it's the HTTPS Everywhere plugin being paranoid. Trying to fix it.
*edit* Yep, disabling HTTPS Everywhere let me get to the site, whereas just adding an exception didn't work.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Well when I tried it the first time Firefox gave me a warning about the certificate being untrustworthy, but I added what I thought was a temporary exception and told it go ahead. It's still not working now.
I think I accidentally told it to strip out the "https://www.washingtonpost.com" part of the url, leaving me with just the / at the tend. Now that I've deleted that exception, I'm getting the Untrusted Connection warning again. I think it's the HTTPS Everywhere plugin being paranoid. Trying to fix it.
*edit* Yep, disabling HTTPS Everywhere let me get to the site, whereas just adding an exception didn't work.

It's those damn Iranians I tell ya...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
E-boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
E-boy wrote:
For example, as I've mentioned before there is simply no incentive to go under budget. If you are working a multi-year project and come in under budget for the fiscal year, your next years funding gets cut to that level. So what happens is when you do come under budget that in the few months before the end of the fiscal year they will spend the extra money on any freaking thing they can think of to avoid coming in under budget. When I first observed this I actually called the waste fraud and abuse hotline. I got told it was routine and not to sweat it.

I've seen this, too. It's usually "hrm, we're under budget... Who wants Macbook Pros?" I'll certainly agree this is wrong, from many, many perspectives (one new one I didn't appreciate before I started working in purchasing - the commodities markets for things like iron can alter material costs on a day-by-day basis, up or down relatively unpredictably, causing significant deviations from cost estimates). Given the way beauracracy and our political system "work," I just don't see how this is ever going to change.

Though reflecting on this, I do wonder about other countries - do they have the same perverse incentive to never come in under budget, for their defense industries?

Those variables are typically factored into the original budget. I did project lead a few times and was flat out told to add 20% to my budgetary requirements to cover those sorts of unexpected costs. Granted large swings in certain commodities can jack prices by a hell of a lot more than 20%, but I'd hope larger scale projects had larger cushions.

Add to this, and I know if you've been where you are any length of time you have probably seen this, that the government does a lot of very non-cost effective things. Locating SPAWAR CHARLESTON, for example was based more on pork barrel politics than on utility. Their primary customers are still in Nofolk, VA. They built the entire comm suite for the America in a mock up in a ware house, tested it, lopped off all the connector ends, packed it all up in trucks and drove it to Newport News, VA to re-build it, put the connectors back on, and test again. This added expense was primarily the result of Strom Thurmand's efforts to "Do right" by the citizens of South Carolina. He also had 'em move the Nuke school for the east coast, again away from the primary recipients of the students in Norfolk, to lovely SC where there last I heard there was only one working pier with a couple of ammo ships (Since decommed I heard).

Don't get me wrong, I rather enjoyed South Carolina but putting the space and naval warfare center det for the entire east coast that far away from the larger bases on the east coast is a bit like putting up the world's largest corn processing plant in Hawaii.

Yes there are unavoidable inconveniences in government contracting, yes costs run higher because the military doesn't do anything like the large scale production civilian industry does, but there's still a huge amount of room for improvement.
tinkeringIdiot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this goes here rather than the rando news thread:

CSMonitor Comedy Troupe wrote:
It turns out that what newly converted 'birther' Donald Trump released with much fanfare is not an official birth certificate. What does that say about his identity, and possible presidential bid?

Developer/reality show star Donald Trump yesterday released his birth certificate to prove he was born in the United States. Except it wasn’t his birth certificate – it was a birth document from a Queens hospital that is less than official, apparently.
“Trump’s mother, it should be noted, was born in Scotland, which is not part of the United States. His plane is registered in the Bahamas, also a foreign country. This fact pattern – along with a wave of new questions surrounding what he claims is a birth certificate – raises serious doubts about his eligibility to serve as President of the United States,” wrote Ben Smith in Politico.

These folks bring up the very valid point that Trump may not even exist. I think we as Ameruicans (and the odd Eurocommie) have a right and a duty to determine if that man is at least as real as his hair!

But seriously, is this Trump candidacy just the liberal media showing that James O'Keefe clown how the pros do embarrassing sting operations?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“If he is asked to produce a raised seal New York City Department of Health birth certificate, I’m pretty sure he can have one in as quick a period of time as you can go down and get it,” Cohen told CBS.

The fact that he didn't raises serious questions we should all be asking. Sure, some people might say "The Constitution doesn't matter, anybody can be president!" I say those people should be investigated.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that the "birthers" want to prove if Obama is truly eligible to be the president of the United States by making sure he really was born in the country -- but they're the same ones that want to take away the 14th amendment to stop illegal aliens from having anchor babies here because those children shouldn't be Americans. Sounds pretty hypocritical if you ask me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, it's all pretty much the same thing. all those anchor babies they are worried about are mexican, and obama is black...what they are really saying is, they believe the only people who are really truly citizens have white skins.

mccain, after all, was born in panama, and there was never any question that _he_ was a citizen.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
mccain, after all, was born in panama, and there was never any question that _he_ was a citizen.

Oh man I forgot all about that... hehehehe I'll have to point that out to my dad next time he brings up McCain as a candidate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 49 of 51

Jump to: