welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ceramic battery cars and other paradigm shifting tech

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Ceramic battery cars and other paradigm shifting tech Reply with quote

http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/15/technology/disruptors_eestor.biz2/index.htm

Quote:
Forget hybrids and hydrogen-powered vehicles. EEStor, a stealth company in Cedar Park, Texas, is working on an "energy storage" device that could finally give the internal combustion engine a run for its money -- and begin saving us from our oil addiction. "To call it a battery discredits it," says Ian Clifford, the CEO of Toronto-based electric car company Feel Good Cars, which plans to incorporate EEStor's technology in vehicles by 2008.

EEStor's device is not technically a battery because no chemicals are involved. In fact, it contains no hazardous materials whatsoever. Yet it acts like a battery in that it stores electricity. If it works as it's supposed to, it will charge up in five minutes and provide enough energy to drive 500 miles on about $9 worth of electricity. At today's gas prices, covering that distance can cost $60 or more; the EEStor device would power a car for the equivalent of about 45 cents a gallon.

This is definitely some cool shit.

*Edit

There's 10 other companies looking like they are going to shake up stuff too, personally I want the Wi-max so I'm not being raped by a monopolistic ISP every month:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/disruptors/

Last edited by Darqcyde on Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why make such a deal about "calling it a battery discrediting it" when it rather sounds like it's just an ultracapacitor setup, something that's been played around with for decades (and which Honda has not been shy about working on for similar applications)
Mini J

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know more of the nitty-gritty details about how it works before I buy in completely. And I really really hope he's not bought out by the oil companies. But if there's any truth to it that's pretty impressive.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
Why make such a deal about "calling it a battery discrediting it" when it rather sounds like it's just an ultracapacitor setup, something that's been played around with for decades (and which Honda has not been shy about working on for similar applications)

Egos could be one guess:

EEStor: Yes! we've invented a fast charging high capacity electronic storage device that could replace the internal combustion engine!
Public: So it's like a better battery?
EEStor: IT IS NOT A BATTERY!!!!! INFIDEL!!!!
*Smites public with super Tesla coil*
Public: AAAIIIIYYYEEEEE!!!!!
*thud* ok, maybe I got a little carried away
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: