welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Craigslist lol

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Craigslist lol Reply with quote

Quote:
Sunday, September 10, 2006
The Seattle Craigslist sex scandal
San Francisco Chronicle columnist Violet Blue has posted a comprehensive roundup of the Craigslist sex scandal making the blog-rounds since last week. Over the weekend, I solicited comment from others known for insight on privacy and life online, and will post their thoughts here as they come in.

For what it's worth, I think what Jason Fortuny did is shameful and wrong in the extreme. But one obvious moral to this tale: your private information is as intimate as your private parts. There are serious risks to sharing either with strangers you bump into online.

Violet writes:

Last Monday Seattle resident Jason Fortuny [Ed. Note: pictured at left] (and a friend) carried out a thought experiment into reality -- one I think anyone who has surfed Craigslist sex ads has entertained. He took a hardcore Women Seeking Men ad from another city and reposted it to see how many replies he could get in 24 hours. Then he published every single response -- photos, emails, IM info, phone numbers, names, everything, to a public wiki (Encyclopedia Dramatica -- site is up and down, check back if down). Then they went public on Jason's LiveJournal page calling it The Craigslist Experiment, inviting readers to identify the CL ad's responders and add more info ("Your Goal: identify people you know IRL and point them out. We've already had great successes here.") It has turned into quite a meme, getting posted all over the place.

(...) They got 178 responses, with 145 photos of men -- cocks, faces, more; full email addresses (both personal and business addresses), names, and a few IM names and phone numbers. One respondent used a Microsoft employee email address, another used a usar.army.mil (military) email address. They got audio, too. Since then, there has been one copycat in Portland. Respondents have emailed him asking him to take the info down, and he has simply published their requests.

Since then Jason has had *his* private info published to CL and been threatened physically, threatened with lawsuits, and has been hated on by everyone from online BDSM communities to Wired (and I saw he was interviewed by the NY Times on friday Sept. 8, so I wonder what position they'll take on all of this). Wired called him "sociopathic" while commenters are saying things like "Disclosing an email to the public is indeed a violation of privacy, and if anyone has a spine, they will take you down with a massive lawsuit that will make you regret ever doing this. You are a liar, a xenophobe, an asshole, and deserve to have your ass beaten to within an inch of your life."

Link to the full text of Violet's take on the story (NSFW warning: post contains the image Fortuny posted with the ad, which is sexually explicit).

Here's more of what Ryan Singel wrote on the story last week at Wired News:

Judging from the comments in his LiveJournal page, Fortuny seems not to realize or pretends not to realize that his prank may cost people their jobs and possibly, their marriages (if you really want to see the pics and original ad, click on the first link in that post).

He also doesn't seem to get that he's opened himself up to huge civil lawsuits under Washington law.

These aren't prominent people, there weren't breaking the law and there's no news value in posting their identifying information. There'd hardly be any value in posting the stuff even with the information removed and faces blurred on the photos, but there might be some -- if only as a warning to naive people.

And I hope Fortuny does get sued.

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/09/10/the_seattle_craigsli.html
Rosie Bee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I've never heard of Craigs List so I feel I'm missing something here Smile
MsFrisby

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosie Bee wrote:
Unfortunately I've never heard of Craigs List so I feel I'm missing something here Smile

http://www.craigslist.org/about/cities.html

You can find anything from free sofas to "HOT SUBS TO PLEASUR U!!!1"
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genius.
andrew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHAHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHhahaha

Oh, the unending hilarity.

I like VioletBlue's response: sucks for a lot of people, but it's natural selection at work.
andrew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my fellow forumers actually knows him IRL, and has this to say:

Libbie wrote:
I know Jason "IRL," as he was engaged to a good friend of mine for a while. I thank every benevolent force on Earth and beyond that they broke up before they actually got married.

Jason is an unfortunate person. He seems to take delight in ruining people's lives, crushing their self-esteem, and getting as much attention as he possibly can for it. I wish I could say that I'm surprised by that, I know things about him that make this kind of behavior unsurprising. It's too bad that he chose this kind of behavior instead of something more positive.

He also thrives on negative attention. He does whatever he can to "prank" people when they're at their most vulnerable, and really seems to enjoy the tremendously negative response he gets from that kind of behavior. One example of a "prank" that he is particularly proud of is his exploits on a forum that was set up after Hurricane Katrina for people to reconnect with their lost family members and friends. He made all kinds of offensive remarks there just to jangle everybody's raw nerves.

He has often compared himself, and asked others to compare him to, Andy Kaufman, who many people didn't find very funny anyway - yet he lacks all of the subtlety and finesse of Andy Kaufman.

Sadly, Jason can't take what he dishes out. He was recently featured on some E/N web site (after this whole Craigslist thing), where people quickly found his personal/business web site (business is a joke - the only work he gets is that which his friend finds for him, and then he usually pisses off most of his clients). They laughed at his ridiculous resume and the rest of the content of his site, including his poetry, so he took it down. The site is next to nothing now, just email contact. So, clearly he can make other people's lives miserable, but when people laugh at his dumb poetry, he is quick to hide it all so nobody can see it. Yet he won't take down the photos and names of the people he's victimizing here. He ended up getting nonstop calls once his phone number was found, too, and rather than taking his hard-earned "fame" like a man, he changed his number so his victims and the rest of his detractors could no longer call him.

He's also being sued by one couple who was victimized (or rather, they are in the process of suing him). He reacted by having a friend leave a taunting note on the window of their lawyer's office in Yakima. Mature. Very, very mature.

This man is 30 years old, by the way.

He's such an unpleasant person. You can't even imagine it unless you know him. Needy, obnoxious, cruel, unforgiving, vain...sucks all your energy out just being anywhere near him. On the one hand, I'm really disgusted that he's achieved his goal of nationwide notoriety with this "project." He's certainly tried MANY times before to have his "Andy Kaufman" moment in the spotlight. On the other, I can't wait to see whether the New York Times, who just interviewed him a few days ago, makes him look exactly like the childish ass he is. I'm sure he peppered his interview with hundreds of potentially devastating comments. After the crap he put my friend through and the way I've watched him strive to ruin people's lives for years, I do hope that he learns something from this experience and knocks off the kiddy act, and starts behaving like a man. Maybe it will work, because I haven't seen any forum where the CL Experiment has been discussed where he wasn't thought of as an immature jerk.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: he might get negative attention obesity Reply with quote

Quote:
He also thrives on negative attention.

Well then, let me congratulate him for hitting the jackpot.

I do hope he enjoys being force-fed his own favored stimulus!
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading a column in the Metro Times here where they were discussing what had happened with this. The reader had wrote in saying that they were disappointed to see a lot of people saying "Well they should have known better and got what was coming to them..."

The reader wanted to defend the victims and asked what the writer had to say on the matter. This particular columnist made a great point I hadn't thought of.

These men were replying to an ad that involved a particular area of BDSM and such where it requires a lot of trust surrounding both the dom and sub to have this lifestyle and feel safe and trusting in it. So these men were doing the right thing by giving their real information to the "woman".

They were giving "her" their real work and home phone numbers because they wanted to build trust. They were doing the right thing. People can laugh all they want about saying these guys were schmucks for this, but I disagree. In a world where there's all kinds of crazies and people who will take advantage of you or a situation, these guys wanted to make sure this "woman" knew they were genuine and trustworthy.

That's why they were sending pictures of their faces, as opposed to dick shots. So if people want to laugh at guys being honest and getting screwed over for building trust with someone who had no interest in anything but to be cruel to people just for shits and giggles, go ahead -- but I don't think it's warranted.
andrew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, he no longer has witty responses to everything in his LiveJournal, and is facing several high dollar lawsuits.

Most lawyers in the Seattle area have been quoted as not giving him a chance in hell, now that almost every major publication has had their go at him.
Mini J

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading savage love were you Jen? I saw that piece too and thought it was spot-on.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is funny, and hopefully a wake-up call to the ignorant.

Quote:
But one obvious moral to this tale: your private information is as intimate as your private parts. There are serious risks to sharing either with strangers you bump into online.

I mean, yeah he was a prankster and it was shitty (although still funny), BUT what if he had more malicious intentions? I wonder, what exactly are the lawsuits charging him with? defamation of character?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

Quote:
But one obvious moral to this tale: your private information is as intimate as your private parts. There are serious risks to sharing either with strangers you bump into online.

I mean, yeah he was a prankster and it was shitty (although still funny), BUT what if he had more malicious intentions? I wonder, what exactly are the lawsuits charging him with? defamation of character?

Im unsure how potentially ruining other peoples lives constitutes funny...but i guess thats just your sense of humor. Id bet you like Carlos Mencia too, yknow 30 minutes of retard jokes and HURR HURR HURR.

I however do hope someone commits physical violence on this jackass. Something crippling preferably, to serve as a warning to others about the consiquences of fucking with complete strangers too much. Guy is smug, self righteous, and alltogether too cocky about his little prank, and I think that he could do with shelling out for a whole new set of teeth and crutches.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

Quote:

Im unsure how potentially ruining other peoples lives constitutes funny...but i guess thats just your sense of humor. Id bet you like Carlos Mencia too, yknow 30 minutes of retard jokes and HURR HURR HURR.

I however do hope someone commits physical violence on this jackass. Something crippling preferably, to serve as a warning to others about the consiquences of fucking with complete strangers too much. Guy is smug, self righteous, and alltogether too cocky about his little prank, and I think that he could do with shelling out for a whole new set of teeth and crutches.

It's the imp of perverseness in my head. I think it's funny the whole idea of anyone thinking anything they put anywhere on the internet doesn't have to potential to come back and bite them in the ass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And

Last edited by Usagi Miyamoto on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
andrew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

Defamation of character, yes, definitely. A lot of this hinges on how much he is liable for repeatedly violating the Craigslist TOS. Also, since the ad he used was a real one from another city, there's a lot of talk about coordinating with the original poster to hit him from that angle.

Usagi Miyamoto wrote:
The one followup interview with Fortuny I read about here seemed to indicate that he's not had anything happen more serious than enough phone calls to make him change his number, and an unordered pizza delivery. Kind of a shame, really.

He's also had threatening messages taped to the windows of his home, many angry (snail mail) letters, had objects thrown at his home, and is rapidly losing clients (he's a sole-prop webdesigner, much like me).

My business has been up. Coincidence? I wonder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: