welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good on the popinator....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
mouse wrote:
the pope should be sufficiently media-savvy to realize that something like that _would_ be taken out of context...

Ha! Let's not blame the media for being sensationalists. No, of course not. The media should be able to take things out of context and scream about them. They do all the time anyway and that makes it okay.

I think the pope could have made his point without that quote. He is certainly in the wrong in my opinion.

I gotta totally agree with fiona on this. I think far too often the media is FAR too reckless with the power they yield. "Oh $hit quick put that inflammatory/deragatory/inappropriate item on the front page. It'll $ell a BA$$ILLION i$$ue$ then."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you think the best thing is to feed them an inflammatory statement?
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
so you think the best thing is to feed them an inflammatory statement?

Well to be fair, they weren't really "fed" the statement. They went fishing for it. One quote in a whole thesis doesn't seem like a spoonful of force fed peas.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pope did not need to use that quote. He had a great point that didn't need to be backed up by a quote that is that antagonistic. You could cut that quote and the whole thing would still be good.

The media needs to grow up. They need to call people out where it is due and not blow things completely out of proportion. In this case, I think the pope may have had it coming. He should have worded himself better.

dazedb42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all spin. I imagine if we went around to every mosque and listened to the immans soon someone would get some juicy quotes about the evils of christianity. We could then all feign indignance and call for a new crusade. Oh thats right apparently it was a code for a new crusade anyway. WTF? I'm sad but not yet manic.

The pope in all his unfallibleness (my word) knows what he is doing, he's the last pope afterall before Peter of Rome comes back. Hang on chidlers the ride is gaining momentum.
kame

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can 'he should, he should not' until the cows come home, it does not change the fact that the reaction to this one quote by muslims protestors is retarded, overblown, and exemplifies the thesis of the man's speech.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, the thing that I'm insulted by is that these muslims calling for Jihad think the Pope speaks for all christians. I guess someone needs to tell them there's a HUGE difference between people who are Catholic versus those who are just catholic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
E-boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, he's meeting with islamic diplomats now. He's trying really hard to smooth things over without actually directly apologizing for his speech.

I tend to lean in his direction on this one. He was taken quite out of context. His primary aim was to say that NO religion should condone violence and that members of all religions should condemn any attempt to use their faith as a justification for violence.

Seems I made a post not too long ago in support of one Daniel C. Dennet's exhortations to the same end.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again: had he cut that one quote out, his point would still have been made properly. I read the thing and it seemed like the quote was just there rather than it holding up a point. ::shrugs:: That is my opinion.

Unfortunately, by wording himself as he did, I suspect he did more damage than good. I wish that the faith based populus could not kill each other or do a better job of it. ::sighs::

But yeah, go smoothing over.

E-boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose he could have made his point more indirectly, but the FACT is, that many extremist groups are using lines from the prophet exactly in the manner he quoted. AND THAT, makes his point exactly, and extremely specifically. It's a shame they chose to take it so personally, but that doesn't change the fact that what he said was, and continues to be true.

Sometimes being too diplomatic is as bad as not being diplomatic at all. Less time should be spent worrying about what people might say (for they certainly have a right to express themselves, particularly in an OPEN dialogue) and more time spent thinking about what it is they DO say and why.

You simply cannot have an open dialogue when you can't directly address the issues at stake for fear of offending.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: