welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Intelligent People Drink More Alcohol
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
tonight I will express my genius in the form of a Vieux Carré or three.

Oh oh! Can we make requests?

At least one of those should involve interpretive dance.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someday the world will recognize and reward my actinic brilliance, which I will enhance with this organic solvent. When I was sixteen and found I could join Mensa, it seemed a substantially nerd-cool idea; only later did I realize that there's a certain insufferability to the notion, though whether it's better or worse than being a Mayflower descendant I couldn't say.

Bring on the interpretive dance!
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always got those stupid invites but I never bothered to remember the names of the organizations.

"Pay $70 and be in this book with a bunch of other smart kids!" Thbbbt.

And then I went to college and got a degree in theater that I haven't used for two years.

My life is alike a big example of what not to do if you ever want to make money.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Sam wrote:

As long as the request is also a cocktail, yes
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam: Wasn't posted here (on forums) about how being more intelligent correlates with increased propensity to be (or to become) "insane" (or at least develop some sort of psychosis)? I know I've seen this in articles here and there but wasn't sure if it was brought up here or not.

I always thought that this was the most interesting theme in both Lovecraft's works and the COC gamebooks: The smarter you are the more you realize 'shit is fucked up' when it is 'fucked up' and the more mental stress is therefore imposed upon your brain trying to deal with it.

If anyone can't relate to this just imagine that you're Joe in this clip and you're talking to the cabinet... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4056644458485033927#
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
I always thought that this was the most interesting theme in both Lovecraft's works and the COC gamebooks: The smarter you are the more you realize 'shit is fucked up' when it is 'fucked up' and the more mental stress is therefore imposed upon your brain trying to deal with it.

Maybe. Except smarter, more educated people handle stress better. In the military, college graduates develop PTSD at significantly lower rates than non-college educated recruits, for instance (though that's not a definitive way to define intelligence). Intelligent, broadly-experienced people tend to develop more effective coping mechanisms with which to deal with the massive burden that is being so gosh darn smart. Wink
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Maybe. Except smarter, more educated people handle stress better. In the military, college graduates develop PTSD at significantly lower rates than non-college educated recruits, for instance (though that's not a definitive way to define intelligence).Intelligent, broadly-experienced people tend to develop more effective coping mechanisms with which to deal with the massive burden that is being so gosh darn smart. Wink

But then this brings up the oh so fun topic of "defining exceptional intelligence" or "what is 'smarter'"; maybe those 'smarter' people who went cuckoo weren't really smarter after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, "being intelligent" can be broadly defined as performing one or more cognitive tasks above average. In the example above, though, we find that it's not the cognitive task alone that seems to confer the protective benefit (I've never seen anything that said those in a specific field of study performed better, for instance). The interesting thing there, though, is that "street savvy" (an actual term used in a paper - researchers are dorks) alone doesn't appear to confer the benefit, either. There seems to be a synergistic effect of intelligence and experience, that coping mechanisms are developed through use and honing (rather than being intuitive), and intelligent people (generally) process information quickly and make connections between disparate information, allowing them to employ various techniques more effectively once learned.

At least, that's the theory.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how much of a role curiosity plays. Purely anecdotal, but I've always noticed that less intelligent people tend to ask fewer question and more readily tend to accept the answers that they are presented with at their face value without further examination.

I mean, isn't A LOT of behavior, in particular activities done as children, adolescents, and young adults (i.e. individuals with less life experience), which could be called stupid or risky or 'kids being kids' or 'youthful exuberance' a result, at least in some part, of curiosity. I mean Andrew WK host a show all about that.
But more on point, this reminds me of all those kids who (gross generalization here but just go with it) who follow all the rules growing up and throughout high school and then only to go through traumatic binge partying episodes (drinking, drugs, casual sex) with the first taste of freedom from immediate parental control. I've seen people whom I would definitely call highly intelligent do some outrageously stupid things their freshmen years of college.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Samsally wrote:
Sam wrote:

As long as the request is also a cocktail, yes

Dancing Dutchman, please!

((Do you know how long it took to find a good drink name that didn't involve sex? You did that on purpose, didn't you?!))
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I don't know any of the science here because I'm not as into developmental, but I wouldn't discount intellectual curiosity as a factor. It may contribute to whether or not some kids seek new experiences. In the big five personality model "extraversion" is understood to represent excitement seeking. This would be independent of intelligence, though (edit: that is to say extraversion is considered an independent personality trait, so it's possible to be dumb and extraverted or smart and extraverted). What that means in terms of coping mechanisms, I couldn't say... Though you could theorize that no one trait (intelligence, curiosity, experience) would be sufficient to instill them.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
((Do you know how long it took to find a good drink name that didn't involve sex? You did that on purpose, didn't you?!))

cider bullet

the equinox

smoke & mirrors

Mexican firing squad

rock'n'thyme

happy sling

the Shun

42 fix

grays and torreys

jalisco 51

silver coin

green tea pimm's

the crazy 88

self improvement

jack rose

(aforementioned) vieux carre

sazerac
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
This conversation is epic fun because it forces people to make really silly assumptions.

But I just don't drink much, so what do I know?

I don't recognize any of those drink names.

I thought you were referencing Tennessee Williams and got all excited for nothing.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LARGE, FRUITY AND FULL OF RUM!
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is, "how I like my Australians?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: