welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reproductive Rights and the Government

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reproductive Rights and the Government Reply with quote

I worry that this topic may have a lot of entries in the next while considering how hard Republicans are trying to undermine Roe v Wade.

The latest big news in the fight against Planned Parenthood is in Indiana:

USAToday wrote:
Judge refuses to delay enforcement of Indiana abortion law
[excerpt]
The measure, House Bill 1210, passed the legislature last month. The law would cut off about $2 million of the $3 million Planned Parenthood of Indiana receives annually in federal funds and make Indiana the first state to prohibit the use of Medicaid at Planned Parenthood. It also gives Indiana some of the strictest abortion rules in the nation. For example, doctors would be required to tell patients that life begins at fertilization and that a fetus can feel pain at or before 20 weeks.
Planned Parenthood and the ACLU argue that forcing doctors to give information -- information they claim is not factual or relevant to the patients and can be misleading -- violates First Amendment free-speech protections.
The lawsuit also contends that the new law's defunding provision, by taking effect immediately, would void contracts and grants already in effect, violating the U.S. Constitution's contract clause. The suit also says that the law imposes an unconstitutional condition on Planned Parenthood by requiring it to choose between performing abortions and receiving non-abortion-related funding, and says that the measure runs afoul of federal Medicaid law.

Huffington Post wrote:

PPIN president Betty Cockrum said Planned Parenthood would continue to see Medicaid patients for as long as possible by covering their medical costs out of its Women’s Health Fund, but she is “deeply disappointed” by the judge’s ruling.

“The court’s ruling today means that 9,300 Medicaid patients at our 28 locations have lost services from their preferred provider,” she said.

And as is usual with the defunding of Planned Parenthood, the access to any kind of women's care is essentially eliminated for most of the state.

Huffington Post wrote:

Planned Parenthood Plays Key Role For Some Low-Income, Rural Uninsured

Indeed, a 2009 report by the Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive health research and advocacy group, found that a majority of low-income women consider a family planning center like Planned Parenthood their primary health care provider. But 73 percent of Planned Parenthood clinics are located in rural or medically under-served areas, according to the organization's own data.

Every time I read something like this, especially about Planned Parenthood, I feel like crying. Why do people think that is is _possible_ to get even the yearly PAP exams without Planned Parenthood around to make it affordable? Cost of treatment for STDs or anything else just goes up, waaaay up, from there.

Do we have anyone on this board that is for defunding PP or can even explain it?

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this is why you young ladies should be waiting until marriage. Yep, nobody who is married needs an abortion, STD test, reproductive counseling, or annual cooter checkup.
Women, a vagina is like a car. Keep that car in the garage and only use it to go to church on Sundays, and it'll never need fixin'. Just like grandma's!

Re: pain at 20 weeks: How can a law require doctors to state something as fact that probably isn't actually true? Oh wait, Indiana.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i certainly can't explain it - except to guess that a lot of these "pro-life" republicans are reading from the same fact-book as jon kyle, who made the speech claiming abortion was 98% of what planned parenthood does.

i don't know whether it is the republican majority in the house, or pressure from the tea party that is responsible for this sudden push against anything that might in any way do anything other than utterly discourage abortions - even if that means wrecking anything else to do with women's health. the house just passed HR 3, the "No taxpayer funding for abortion act" which (according to People for the American Way, anyway)
Quote:
H.R. 3 does a lot more than its name would imply.

* It resurrects the failed "Stupak ban" from the healthcare debate, effectively banning even private coverage of abortion care, and adds a new tax penalty to ensure that the ban becomes a reality.

* It opens up the possibility that rape and incest survivors who choose abortion care could be audited by the IRS.

* It makes permanent the current annual ban on federal abortion funding known as the "Hyde Amendment."

* It continues a funding ban for the District of Columbia.

* It expands refusal clauses that allow healthcare providers to refuse to provide abortion services.

* Finally, it has been reported that Republicans are trying to reinstate a widely-condemned redefinition of rape through behind-the-scenes procedural tactics.

the rape-and-incest survivor bit is because this bill would make it illegal for women to use money from a health savings plan to pay for an abortion, unless it was done to end a pregnancy resulting from rape or incest, or if the health of the mother was endangered. so women would have to justify such use (potentially) to the IRA (and if most plans are anything like mine, you would have to provide documentation before they would allow the expense). it also puts additional costs on small (but not large) businesses that assist employees if they buy an abortion rider to their health insurance.

basically, they seem to have decided if they can't get roe v. wade overturned by the supreme court, they will simply try to make it impossible for women to afford abortions. and apparently, any collateral damage is irrelevant.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheels: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists says get an exam every 2 years starting at age 21 whether you are sexually active or not. Why they say that, I am not sure. Perhaps they don't believe that people over 21 are not having sex.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come now, las - you aren't trying to oppose this with _logic_, are you?

i think it's been pretty clear for a while, things like logic and evidence and stuff like that don't have a lot of pull with a lot of current legislators, on any level.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Wheels: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists says get an exam every 2 years starting at age 21 whether you are sexually active or not. Why they say that, I am not sure. Perhaps they don't believe that people over 21 are not having sex.

I think it's to catch other health issues that could crop up? Like breast lumps and cysts and things? Mostly a guess on my part, though.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been trying for years to get a bill passed in WA - a very blue state - that says simply that sex education must be factually correct. It's never passed. People in this country are fucking ridiculous when it comes to sex education and women's health. The sad thing is, if you sit down and talk to them, a lot of people are open to changing their minds. A lot aren't, but those that are are simply being inundated with misinformation - like the "not intended to be a factual statement" that abortions are 90% of what PP does (thank you Rep. Kyl, you douchebag).
Sam

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Women, a vagina is like a car. Keep that car in the garage and only use it to go to church on Sundays, and it'll never need fixin'. Just like grandma's!

now I get this image in my head of all the good godfearing folk riding to church on their sunday vaginas and well
Mizike

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
We've been trying for years to get a bill passed in WA - a very blue state

It's all the rain -- makes people depressed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: