welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2011 Sendai earthquake and tsunami
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi! Out!
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is infuriating to have your flaws being brought up against you during an argument, and perhaps every argument you will ever be in. It makes me seriously question whether I can trust anyone in good faith to not judge me by my flaws. It is at that point where the human psyche begins to have no pity for anyone, no matter who they are or how nice they are being, for it is in fact that niceness that infuriates me the most. As darc said, I would probably prefer to be hated than pitied. My pride cannot handle the fact that usagi is being patient and understanding, yes it is sick and fucked up and I'm sorry.

Good god, you have issues. Unsurprising that we'd judge you on flaws when they're so painfully transparent and you make no effort to compensate for them.
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least he is trying to be reflexive about it. In that sense, I believe he sees that he is missing something. On the other hand, don't focus so much on a one-liner from someone who wasn't even heavily involved in the argument.

It's the internet, not a shrink. God knows I use the forum as a sink for all of my own personal problems, but using the threads appropriate to this would perhaps limit the forum hate.

Last edited by Mr_Moustache on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
picturesofsky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My pride cannot handle the fact that usagi is being patient and understanding, yes it is sick and fucked up and I'm sorry.

But on the other hand, I think this was a pretty big thing to admit, so credit where credit is due.
Ironically, Halen's one of the few people here I wouldn't worry about terrifying my friends and family. In my head he ends every real life conversation stroking his chin and saying, "well yes, that sounds reasonable."
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

There is a reason why I am passionate about this particular topic, why I refuse to change my mind about it. A reason that reaches far beyond my friend in japan and the many people suffering there.

You see, I was born in 1986. My mother was still pregnant with me when Chernobyl happened. A theory has been floated about, that most of my flaws, the issues I've been dealing with my whole life are a result of this disaster, and I don't think I have it in me to forgive the incompetent bastards that allowed it to happen. But of course, I have no real proof, and that itself is far more infuriating than anything anyone has ever said to me; to constantly question my existence, to never know for sure. If I am not reading my posts carefully it is because I am in a blind rage from which I will never awaken from, and for this I am sorry.

ok. _now_ i finally understand where you are coming from.

the really irritating thing i've found about your argument in this thread is that it is not clear to me what, exactly, you are accusing TEPCO and/or the japanese government of doing. you maunder on about rain temperatures, and yellow things, and post cryptic links about the numbers of deaths....but you never come out and say, specifically, what you think has been done, by who, and why.

and now i understand. you have no clue yourself. you hate the whole concept of nuclear power because you think it did something to you - you don't know what, you have no proof that anything has been done, you just feel that you have been sinned against, so you are striking out blindly. and .... i don't know - hoping the rest of us will put it together for you? that if you give us enough winks and nudges and tantalizing bits, one of us will finally provide the proof you want, of what was done to you?

that's really why you hate usagi - he's genuinely trying to be helpful, he's probably the most knowledgeable of us all about the subject, but you can see he's not going to provide the answer you want. and he's certainly not going to magically fix it.

none of us are. none of us can. and spamming up the thread with your incoherent rage can't change that.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 7.1 aftershock right by Iwaki in Fukushima prefecture.

Few items of note:

- The safety zone will be extended from 20k to some upper limit, I'd wager 30k, from Dai-ichi plant. That would encompass some villages, farmlands (more about it below), and be just shy of Iwaki mentionned above.

I mentionned before the farming issues, both Fukushima and Miyagi are rural pref, it looks like the bad case scenario is going to happen there :
Government to ban rice planting in some radioactive fields
. One year down the road, when dust has settled, those farmers will have a hell of a job to sell their wares. Btw Iitate, mentionned in the article, is about 40/45k away from the plant, outside the safety zone.

edit : *bow to Usagi for all the useful info here*
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam the Eagle: Damn, hoping things turn out better.

Thy: Stop talking. No one cares, no one is listening, no one wants you to go on, I think yourself included. QFT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have linked this site before, it logs earthquakes' magnitude and location:

Japan Meteorological Agency

Chiba perfecture is further south of Fukushima but still on the eastern front. This morning (Japan time), there were two aftershock rating 6.3. To put things in perspectives, the Kobe earthquake was rated 7.2.

From a friend living further south, in Shikoku. According to her, a sismologist she knows is getting worried that the Philippina plate will too have to 'adjust' soon, as in Summer/Fall, as it's the last one which still remained in place. That one means Kansai (Tokyo area).

It's not the credit itself that worries me, word of mouth happens everywhere; it's more that prevalent feeling people are not getting over this in their head.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there we go in a hand basket...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more of a matter of political management, I suspect: thinking it's best to get the worst out there and over with, rather than possibly having to ratchet things up further later and take another hit. The facts available haven't changed any. This BBC link gives something of a timeline and overview without so much of the speculation that's been in day-to-day reporting.

The short summary on Fukushima is still that it's released about 10% of the radioactivity of Chernobyl (so far) and that it's been released primarily in the form of the lighter volatile elements such as tritium, iodine-131, and cesium-137. There's been a far smaller relative fraction of the heavy elements released, such as plutonium, which made things much worse in the Ukrainian disaster. Without sustained cooling efforts and caution, things can still go horribly wrong at Fukushima, but as of now, the situation is improving and the odds of a dramatic worsening are thankfully low.

And Fukushima gets all the news these days, but its eventual total effects will probably still pale in comparison to the damage done by the earthquake and tsunami, in terms of total lives lost, property destroyed, and personal and economic dislocations. Things are bad in Japan; Fukushima is just a fraction of why and how.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the impact of the tsunami is truly shocking. the yahoo article gives the death toll of about 25,000; about half of those are people who are missing, probably washed out to sea. i keep wondering if there are even more, who won't be recorded because anyone who would miss them was lost as well.
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
the impact of the tsunami is truly shocking. the yahoo article gives the death toll of about 25,000; about half of those are people who are missing, probably washed out to sea. i keep wondering if there are even more, who won't be recorded because anyone who would miss them was lost as well.

*nods* Sad
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting question; I don't think it's quite as easy to disappear in Japan as in the United States, because the police and local government keep records of who lives where (though I have heard of dead people being kept on the records by relatives who go on collecting their social insurance payments). It's easy to imagine local records being destroyed, though, and any central records being out of date, letting people slip through the cracks. I could see an uptick in identity theft taking place, too.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The case you're referring came to light once someone died thus made some japanese the eldest living person alive...Who turned up as a stiff of many years and wasn't declared as such by his relatives who were still pocketing the money. This lead to a spade of similar cases. That was this winter.

While Japan has an impressive administration, it is known for blunders too.
Case 1: After 15y, one can still see "Wanted" adds for Aum Shinrikyo's remaining members at large.
Case 2: Loss of papers leading to pensioner not being able to receive their due. That was back in 2007 methink.

This time though, the disaster hit mostly small villages, the odd farm, and on. These persons still have some local relatives, papers are kepts in various places both locally or in the prefecture. Sendai and Fukushima or the various banks still have some accounts and paper trails one can track. It'd be easy to check them. If anything, the possibilty of relatives visiting by is remote, given the time of day when the tsunami stroke. There is still the odd tourist though.

Identity theft?. That's not something I associate with a calamity of this magnitude but it might happens. Again, these case should numbers in 10' if any, nothing more.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this one for few pieces of news:

Bad habits are hard to stop

What they say:

Quote:
Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s timetable for stabilizing the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant promises: "We will devote ourselves wholeheartedly so that evacuees can return home and the people in Japan can live with peace of mind."

What they do:

Quote:
What is typical of this is seen in the melting down of fuel rods. A series of reports, including one by The Asahi Shimbun reported a view that core meltdowns had taken place in the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 reactors immediately after the period when they entered a "boil-dry situation."

The expression "core meltdown" is not found in the new timetable, either. TEPCO officials only kept reiterating at a news conference "the same countermeasures shall be taken."

In other words, their written reports are steps down in term of danger level. For everyone who spend some time in Japan, that doesn't come as a surprise; the obvious danger here is to sweep under a (leaden) blanket both the extend of damage and spreading responsibilities.

Another item of note. Quake 'hurt reactors before tsunami'

Quote:
High radiation readings taken in the No. 1 reactor building the night of March 11 suggest it was the quake rather than the loss of cooling that critically damaged the Fukushima No. 1 power plant, a utility source said Saturday.

The obvious thing to do here is to check other reactors of the same age/type for similar fatigue marks. I do hope that's what being done both in Japan and wherever else this reactors are still on post-haste, if any schedule for doing so are in place.

A bit of older news:

A village about 40k from the plant is being evacuated
http://crrf-japan.blogspot.com/2011/04/evacuation-procedures-for-iitate.html. Locals aren't happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 25 of 26

Jump to: