welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scott Adams: "Normal" male behavior vs Society
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amethyst Shadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Scott Adams: "Normal" male behavior vs Society Reply with quote

http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/pegs_and_holes/

Is he just trolling or is he serious?

Here's an except paragraph

Quote:
Now consider human males. No doubt you have noticed an alarming trend in the news. Powerful men have been behaving badly, e.g. tweeting, raping, cheating, and being offensive to just about everyone in the entire world. The current view of such things is that the men are to blame for their own bad behavior. That seems right. Obviously we shouldn’t blame the victims. I think we all agree on that point. Blame and shame are society’s tools for keeping things under control.

What alternate reality does this man live in where women aren't subjected to the "Shame Game" if the indulge their personal desires?

Here's another

Quote:
Consider Hugh Hefner. He had every benefit of being a single man, and yet he decided he needed to try marriage. Marriage didn’t work out, so he tried the single life again. That didn’t work out, so he planned to get married again, although reportedly the wedding just got called off. For Hef, being single didn’t work, and getting married didn’t work, at least not in the long run. Society didn’t offer him a round hole for his round peg. All it offered were unlimited square holes.

So being single at one point of his life no longer being what he wanted and his personal marriages not working out are society's fault because he didn't have a 3rd option to being married or not married?

W... T.... F?!
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's intended as satire, mainly because of this:
Quote:
Long term, I think science will come up with a drug that keeps men chemically castrated for as long as they are on it. It sounds bad, but I suspect that if a man loses his urge for sex, he also doesn’t miss it. Men and women would also need a second drug that increases oxytocin levels in couples who want to bond. Copulation will become extinct. Men who want to reproduce will stop taking the castration drug for a week, fill a few jars with sperm for artificial insemination, and go back on the castration pill.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read some amazing lines attributed to hugh heffner's wife to be today, she said that sure, living in playboy mansion was every girl's dream, but in the long run blah blah blah some drawbacks

LIVING IN PLAYBOY MANSION IS EVERY GIRL'S DREAM? SHE HONESTLY THOUGHT THAT? WHAT THE FUCK>?
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps dogen did you read the full thing?

I don't think it's reprehensible, I just don't think it's "intended as satire"
Amethyst Shadow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I think it's intended as satire, mainly because of this:
Quote:
Long term, I think science will come up with a drug that keeps men chemically castrated for as long as they are on it. It sounds bad, but I suspect that if a man loses his urge for sex, he also doesn’t miss it. Men and women would also need a second drug that increases oxytocin levels in couples who want to bond. Copulation will become extinct. Men who want to reproduce will stop taking the castration drug for a week, fill a few jars with sperm for artificial insemination, and go back on the castration pill.

He's not trying to be satirical.

He's trolling, being generally hypocritical or is just plain bat-shit crazy.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure he's just batshit crazy. Adams has always been a little off, and lately it's been getting more and more obvious, see: his recent sockpuppetry.
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't this a repeat of the shit he said six months ago or so?
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott adams?? trolling????

it's more likely than you think

click here for free diagnostic scan
Yorick

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Pretty much.

good! Then I don't have to waste time reading it!

Dude's not as funny as he used to be, so he's trying anything he can think of to gather attention. Sad, really.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interestingly, i was just reading an nytimes op-ed that has a rather different take on things:
Quote:
Far from seeming “manly,” aggressive sexuality was associated with women. In contrast to the Victorian view of women that is still influential today, ancient and medieval writers described women as consumed by lust and sexual desire. In 1433, officials in Florence charged with regulating women’s dress and behavior sought “to restrain the barbarous and irrepressible bestiality of women who, not mindful of the weakness of their nature, forgetting that they are subject to their husbands, and transforming their perverse sense into a reprobate and diabolical nature, force their husbands with their honeyed poison to submit to them.”

Because of this association of sexuality with femaleness, men who failed to control their sexual urges or were susceptible to feminine attractions found their masculinity challenged. Marc Antony was roundly mocked as having been “softened and effeminized” by his desire for Cleopatra. When the king and war hero Pedro II of Aragon spent the night before a battle not in prayer or council but in bed with a woman, he was labeled effeminate.

sure, the men were expected to control themselves - but it was the women's urges that were considered reprehensible.

personally, i suspect scott tried to put the moves on some lovely and got shot down with some comment that included the word "perv".
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
ps dogen did you read the full thing?

I don't think it's reprehensible, I just don't think it's "intended as satire"

No? I just picked a passage at random that also happened to be the craziest? I'm lucky like that.

So, anyway, I didn't know anything about Adams' past history as a flaming douchebag, so I read it thinking he was a sane adult. Having looked into it, I guess he's just another asshole who fears the loss of privileged status and sees the world through a myopic, egocentric lens, likes whites who claim minorities have more rights than they do.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Adams pretty much got caught being an asshole and a puppeteer, and I guess he's just continuing down the road of being a bad troll.
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. All I got from it was A. dudes want to fuck everything in sight and B. everything in sight doesn't agree to this. Hence tension. Finally, he comes up with a wacky solution which he doesn't intend to enforce but predicts for the future.

So it's short sighted, it's badly thought through, it's wrong yes. But why the fuss?
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my second read-through was enlightened by the research I'd done after my first. Which included this gem (from a deleted blod post):
Quote:
The reality is that women are treated differently by society for exactly the same reason that children and the mentally handicapped are treated differently. It's just easier this way for everyone. You don't argue with a four-year old about why he shouldn't eat candy for dinner. You don't punch a mentally handicapped guy even if he punches you first. And you don't argue when a women tells you she's only making 80 cents to your dollar. It's the path of least resistance. You save your energy for more important battles.

He separates the behaviors of men from the expectations of society, as though society exists separately from its constituents. Male sexual urges are frowned upon, but it's not their fault, it's society's fault... but aren't we ~49% of American society? He oversimplifies the issue to the point of making men the victims of a system gone haywire... which is a sad irony when white, middle-aged men like Adams still hold a disproportionate amount of wealth and power when compared to women and minorities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: