welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2011 Sendai earthquake and tsunami
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two new items, one of which seriously worries me for family reasons.

First off, this Japan's reconstruction minister resigns after offending tsunami victims

Quote:
After Murai (Miyagy Governor) arrived a few minutes late, Matsumoto (now former minister), in a passable impression of a hectoring schoolmaster, said: "When a guest comes to visit, do not call the guest in until you have arrived in the room. Do you understand?"

As if the guy wasn't busy like hell.

Typical arrogance of an entitled high end politician. There is a link about his tantrum in the article for the Japanese speakers.

Next, it's has now been shown Fukushima city itself got as much as 4 times the "legal" radiation limits, with 45% of kids sustained thyroid radiation .

This link, in French, states that local authorities are asking for small childs and pregants women to evacuate the area. Fukushima is about 60 km from the nuclear plant west by nothrwest.

[edit] added link
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.T.F!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVuGwc9dlhQ&feature=related

Seriously, wtf.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam the Eagle wrote:
W.T.F!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVuGwc9dlhQ&feature=related

Seriously, wtf.

Oh man, I wish they had footage from the elevator ride. No wonder their Government gets along so well with the US, "birds of a feather" as they say.
Also I was guffawing at the chernobyl line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many things were said in here, and I won't resurrect this glowing dead-horse anymore after this parting piece. Something I came upon yesterday, almost 5 months after the tsunami:

Highest radiation to date at Fukushima plant another hurdle for TEPCO

Quote:
TEPCO said Aug. 1 that radiation levels of at least 10 sieverts per hour, or 10,000 millisieverts per hour, were found at piping connected to the main exhaust tower between the No. 1 and No. 2 reactors at the Fukushima plant.

1 sievert = 1 grey if you're more familiar with the second one.

For the record, this amount of radiation, if exposed to, means death within 2 weeks. Look up wiki for details unless you feel depressed. If anything, it means there will be no insurance repairs can be made to completly seal off the area, as working near this part of the plant imply insta-death.

Down the road, even after taking into account TEPCO's reputation, one has to wonder how guaranteed your safety is. 50km away from the plant, places are evacuated, there were a surge of radioactivity in Tokyo's water, about 275km away. Worst case scenario, assume material leak above somehow seeps into?.

While still not a proponent of a complete stopping of nuclear energy, at least in an abrupt fashion, I do think I'll look a lot more closely at any verbal appeasing declaration from now on.
E-boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no matter how you slice people are going to take a dim view of nuclear power now. It's very difficult to plan for every eventuality and the more eventualities you think of the more expensive the plant.

Speaking of eventualities our government is trying to very quietly prepare for the solar equivalent of a 100 year storm. It seems someone finally got through to them what a really big solar storm could do to modern infrastructure. The good news is they are planning and procuring for it now. The bad news is some of this stuff (Like certain spare parts for our grid) will take literally years to prepare. Keep your fingers crossed.

P.S. if you don't know what a really big solar storm could do to our infra structure it's BAD BAD BAD. Think solar wind strong enough to flatten our magnetic field, induced currents on any metal objects (The last big one hit during the era of the telegraph and people were killed by induced current on the lines). It would be capable of knocking down our grid, communications, sattelites, etc. On the upside you'd be able to see the northern lights pretty much every freaking where.
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most interesting, to me, bits about a major solar storm - insurance companies would likely pay exactly zero. Force majeure would be guaranteed to kick in, and, well, it would be the sad trombone heard round the world. No one - no one - insures against mayan gods getting cranky.
E-boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=power-companies-prepare-as-solar-st

It's almost a case of "Speak of the Devil". These storms, while they may be bad, are probably not of the hundred year variety(the whole hundred year thing is a metaphor stolen from terrestrial weather). The article does discuss some of what occured in the 1800's although it makes no mention of fatalities. It does mention the northern lights being visible in the Carribean.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=power-companies-prepare-as-solar-st

It's almost a case of "Speak of the Devil". These storms, while they may be bad, are probably not of the hundred year variety(the whole hundred year thing is a metaphor stolen from terrestrial weather). The article does discuss some of what occured in the 1800's although it makes no mention of fatalities. It does mention the northern lights being visible in the Carribean.

Quick question: What effect, if any, could it have on data stored on optical discs, like a CD ROM or such?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
E-boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how it could. It would mostly induce currents on metallic objects and other conductors this would mostly be a threat to satellites in orbit and our electrical grid. But some of the higher risk components of afore mentioned grid do not currently have spare capacity (in this case I am referring to large expensive parts rather than electrical capacity). The Department of homeland security has mandated that spares be produced ASAP. Even with this expedition of the task it will take a while. We are not presently remotely ready for a worst case scenario.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26

Jump to: