welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paris!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Celaeno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Paris! Reply with quote

Through a lucky airline miles arrangement, I'm going to Paris next month.

Any suggestions (places to stay, things to see, restaurants to try) would be welcome.

I've love to do a vacation rental to have a kitchen and because the price is a little better--does anyone have experience with those?

And if any Sinfesters are in the area, I'd love to meet up.

(squeeee!)
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand there's a restaurant in Paris that serves the best Ratatouille ever.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I've got that covered at home!
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used to have mcdonalds hamburgers for like, 30 cents or something
other than that I can't remember a thing

PS I'll be in germany in september :(
zeezee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

must-see museums:
l'orangerie
louvre
d'orsay

Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeezee wrote:
must-see museums:
l'orangerie
louvre
d'orsay

Second!

Also, Place des Vosges is a small square/area with galleries and a few bars and a very small park. It's pretty quiet and interesting. Good for an afternoon just relaxing.

I might have a list of restaurants somewhere that the owner of the place I was last had made. Not sure. Only other restaurant I remember the name of it Le Jules Verne but that is probably outside your scope.

Also, Montmartre (and the Basilique) is probably one of the nicest neighborhoods to check out though it might be a bit busy at this time.

Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and when you're in the Louvre, look for the secret passageway.
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celeano: I have to try this recipe for the kids. They love the movie and they will instantly connect the two. No doubt one of them will not like it though...still, it's worth a gamble. Very Happy

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vox Raucus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not claustrophobic, tour some of the catacomb under the city. I've heard they are one of the most fascinating (and least known) spots.
Otoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: places to stay, for the last couple of years my travelling when not staying at friend's places has all been found via airbnb.com - that was Dublin, Portabelo Rd & Camberwell - London, Farnham, Cambridge, - UK & Barcelona 2 great places. There are some fab pads on the site for Paris, worth checking out just for the home page slideshow - imo

www.airbnb.com
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to my city!.

If museums are your thing, I second mouse' list barring l'orangerie. the Louvre is a really huge place, it just can't be done in a day, so plan ahead. If your museum tastes are differents like

Modern art: centre georges pompidou

Far east: Guimet museum

Medieval period: Cluny

Primal arts: musée Branly

Ditto's Vox Raucus on catacombes. Even if it's hot outside, keep a sweat/shawl at hand, it's pretty cold inside. Even the sewer can be seen if you want to re-enact 'les misérables'...

Here is the official site for Paris, with ton of info.

Notre-Dame, no bell swinging though. Some stroll in gardens like Luxembourg or Jardin des plantes (nice museum inside if you like old bones). l'Opéra (no phantom inside), Monmartres too comes to mind. Also you can take a short boat trip over the Seine. Morning markets too are fun to watch.

If you're looking for other things, just ask.

Practically, try to get a all-around pass according to your stay. Bus/subway+ train's coverage is extensive in Paris. Do not try to look too much like a tourist, them pickpockets you know...

Hotel-wise, Paris is expensive. Depends on your budget but I think you can find some okay ones around 50€/night. Vacation rental are still a bit of novelty in Paris, they're getting more and more popular though. As we'll be moving next year, I can't help with that. But yes, they do come with kitchen.

Restaurants like, if you have a price range that would help.

If you can move around, Fontainebleau and Giverny , although it's a bit late for this one, comes to mind. For a day long trip, Loire castle (Chambord, Chenonceau) are a must. You can do Mont St Michel in a day too, not recommended though unless you like to run, sometime it opens for the night, that's magical. I'm not so keen on Versailles, then again, I've been there too many times showing it around

Feel free to contact me, I do know the place. Meeting up : most assuredly if you like.
Celaeno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found an adorable vacation rental right by the Saint-Michel - Notre-Dame RER stop. It's super tiny but within our budget and with a kitchen. The available hotel rooms at the same price were unappealing (far from the city center, shared bathrooms, etc). I'm really excited for the market down the street.

I would love to see the catacombs, but my boyfriend is 6'4", and the things we're reading say it would probably be uncomfortable for him. Thoughts?

I have every intention of going to Montmartre. Amelie is my favorite movie, and Cullen really wants to see the Sacré-Cœur Basilica.

We're also going to do some wine tasting, a ride on the Seine, and a cooking class.

As far as price range for restaurants go, I intend to act on the assumption that I will never go to Paris again. If there's a super phenomenal restaurant that I absolutely must try before I die, then I'll go regardless of price. It would have to be exceptional.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I will be leaving my green avatar up a but longer...
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so will i - sam, i think you mean zeezee's list. sadly, i have never been to paris. but now i know who to ask, should i ever manage the trip.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I read you right, you're ending up in a nice district, mine *cough*. The market you're referring to being likely Maubert (Tue, Thur, Sat). That not far from where we live (further up on the hill southward).

Out of memory, I'm 5,9 myself, I think some parts of catacombs will be uncomfortable, but there are other where he can stretch up. Add, it's not something you'll visit everyday. All in all, I'd say go for it.

Restaurants... here is a nice list

Michelin guide is still -the- restaurant guide for France, there are others, this one won't disappoint.

Here's my line of reasoning restaurant when away:

3 stars

- There are some really good restaurants with enough atmosphere to make Calvin implode, implying men needs jackets. Although they're great, I don't associate them as a tourist unless I plan to do that from day one. You can find them on the net, but they may not be your best shot. You'll need to make online reservation today onward likely.

2 stars
- Those are fun and inventive, out of them 'Atelier Robuchon' comes to attention. Them pricy and you'll too have to make reservation today on if you plan for dinner. Take note some have very strict hours so it may cut your day. It's the kind of restaurant we go to celebrate our respective or wedding anniversary. If you plan for a nice dinner after walking all day long, maybe not still.

1 star
- Those are the fun, new ones. Dinner will be about 70 per person (can vary). Out of the list mentioned above, I've tried Yam T'Cha with a friend which is fusion cuisine french/chinese. Food was excellent too, more relaxed surrounding, little or no dress code. You'll need to make reservation a bit in advance too. These are the one I'd aim for.

Others:
Finding a good unknown restaurant is a national pastime. Sadly those either change or become known Wink.

Right now I can but recommend two french bistro we've tried and go back to on occasion. No english link though.

1-http://www.lesrestos.com/fiche-restaurant-paris/LA-REGALADE-SAINT-HONORE----BRUNO-DOUCET/1800630130 South western type of food

2-http://scope.lefigaro.fr/restaurants/restauration/bistrots---brasseries---auberges/l-r215253--chez-casimir/static/

western (brettonic)/seafood.

You'll still need to make a reservation, but a day ahead or morning for evening time will do. Count around 30/35 lunch, 35/45 dinner; without wine.

HTH.

[edit] my bad mouse. My head spin with soo many gorgeous ladies in these forums...Pepe le Eagle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: