welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No shirt, No shoes, Got kids: NO SERVICE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Didn't really get mad. Reply with quote

I was more of a "setting stuff on fire" kid than a "tantrum" kid.
CTrees

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Didn't really get mad. Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
I was more of a "setting stuff on fire" kid than a "tantrum" kid.

Potato, potahto
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew wrote:
mouse wrote:
really, if your kid is having a tantrum, remove him or her from the premises. he/she is _still_ not getting his/her way - in fact, the kid is being removed from even the vicinity of getting it's way, so it should be all the more effective as an educational method.

I'd love to hear from someone that knows more about this than I do, but I'm not sure that that's the case.

pssst - i was just trying to persuade eure. personally, i don't care if it is more or less effective, as long as my eardrums are no longer being tortured.
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
andrew wrote:
mouse wrote:
really, if your kid is having a tantrum, remove him or her from the premises. he/she is _still_ not getting his/her way - in fact, the kid is being removed from even the vicinity of getting it's way, so it should be all the more effective as an educational method.

I'd love to hear from someone that knows more about this than I do, but I'm not sure that that's the case.

pssst - i was just trying to persuade eure. personally, i don't care if it is more or less effective, as long as my eardrums are no longer being tortured.

This!

Also,

eureka00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hey, I kinda forgot about this thread. Well, not only am I teacher but I was also a parent educator for several years. You have no idea how many parents would call telling me they couldn't get through a store trip with their child.

I agree that they aren't getting what they want, Mouse. However, the child does win some control over you. They were able to determine when you were leaving the store, and you probably didn't get everything you wanted. They would probably throw a tantrum again on the next trip to the store, and you would eventually have to give in or never get all your shopping done. As horrible as it sounds, to really "win" here you would have to continue shopping in the store normally whilst dragging the screaming child. /ignore. Please never start the "you get a reward for behaving in the store". Please god! Some children would respond very well to being removed from the store, Mouse, and I in fact would probably try this first before attempting the drag through the store and /ignore. Some kids are just more manipulative than others. Wink

Going out with your child is about setting them up for success. Have they had a nap? Been fed? Changed? Did you bring a drink along? I have to do grocery shopping and other errands with my daughter all the time because I stay at home with her. My husband works crazy hours and weekends too so I'm pretty sure we'd be starved if I had to wait for him to get home to get groceries. The idea is simply ludicrous that I wait or that I expect someone else to watch her so I can run to the store. Children do need to get out and experience the world or they will never know how to behave in it. As much as we'd like to keep them at home forever and never let them out because of all the crazies out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: