welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Amazing Super Marvel Dark X-Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea mate. I've read some bits of Sandman and the editions RRP at about 11.99 each, but if the Batman shit I've got is any indication, it can be got from Amazon at half that. So, 6.99 or so for a comic ... I have no idea how many editions / books / whatevers there are.

WIKIPEDIA, HERE I COMESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price talk:

Is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Absolute-Sandman-1-Neil-Gaiman/dp/1845763564/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313368263&sr=8-2 worth the price? How much am I missing? Sandman seems like a massive thing to start on, and not a thing I'd want to not complete.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
I have no idea mate. I've read some bits of Sandman and the editions RRP at about 11.99 each, but if the Batman shit I've got is any indication, it can be got from Amazon at half that. So, 6.99 or so for a comic ... I have no idea how many editions / books / whatevers there are.

WIKIPEDIA, HERE I COMESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

There's 11 of the graphic novel cover thingie, which goes for 20 dollars retail.

I don't use the internet for things like that so maybe the price is lower.

ah, checked amazon and it's about 14 dollars per issue.

Mr Gary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically you're saying I should definately spend my money on drugs and booze and strippers, right? Even though the strip club near me has closed down? (I know right? I went away for like, what, TWO weeks? Pillar of the economy, I am, it seems).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drugs and booze and hopefully you don't need the strippers.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellboy and it's whole Universe is fucking great, but I go spastic for anything involving fairy tales.

B.P.R.D is really great, the Abe Sapien series also great, Witchfinder great. Lobster Johnson: Iron Prometheus isn't as great as I thought it would be, still pretty good.

Mike Mignola's take on Batman, The Doom That Came To Gotham is brilliant, Lovecraft-style horror.

Also thoroughly enjoying The Goon.

I enjoyed Sandman, still have never finished it though. I just read League of Gentlemen 1969 and was pretty meh about it too. If you haven't read Top Ten do that now. The 49ers is great as well as volume one and two, I wasn't overly exploded by the series not written by Moore though.

Grant Morrison's The Invisibles is an old favourite, and I also love his run on Doom Patrol.

I tend to read by author, so Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, Alan Moore, Mike Mignola are all killers. Warren Ellis' Gravel series is really fun, all about a combat magician, lots of exploding eyeballs.

Chew is a relatively new comic that I'm really loving too.

If you haven't read Y The Last Man do that as well. I like Ex Machina, but I feel like it's starting to lose it's way a bit.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Mr Gary wrote:

Also, Thy, of course Sandman. It's one of those things where I don't know whether I can afford to begin with it - comics are monumentally expensive, given the actual reading time they offer. Honestly: I'm going to lay out the best part of a hundred to read the whole thing. Worth it?

It's pretty dope. And all that shit is expensive anyhow so going with Sandman is the best choice if you have to make one.

You could always buy the first few collecteds and see for yourself if you like it. I think it's worth it but I fuckign love comics.

Also, wouldn't the whole series cost much more than a hundred? I'm pretty sure that it's like 25 euros per issue here.

http://www.comicoo.com/Sandman/index.htm

Read a couple, see if you like it.

I'm sure you could buy a collector's book of the whole thing somewhere.
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

I'm sure you could buy a collector's book of the whole thing somewhere.

it comes in four "Absolute" volumes to cover the main series. Plus a separate Absolute for the "Death" minis, and another comes out this fall for other ancillaries. They take up a great deal of room.

A new black-and-white annotated reprint is coming as well, four volumes like the Absolutes.

There are also a couple of volumes of essays about the work, and a guidebook.

It's probably the only comics series to ever receive true scholarly analysis. I don't know of any "Dissecting Watchmen" or "Inside the Mind of Batman The Dark Knight."
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis, I've regularly wracked my brains for the name of that comic - The Invisibles - I started reading at my Uncle's place years ago, he's a proper comics dude. Gonna get that ... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand ... thanks Thy, I will check that link out, seems I'm obliged to read some Sandman.

Also whoever said 'Y: The Last Man' is getting a thumb up their ass, that shit sounds wicked cool. Pay day this weekend.

So what is everyone / anyone / someone reading now? Anything hip? Anything cool? Anything with pictures and words in it?

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, there have been at least two comic book based threads, started by me and Johnny Strider if I remember correctly. BUT I am _thrilled_ that people are wanting to talk comic books again.

Heretical Rants wrote:
Spider Jerusalem ftw.

FUCK YEAH!!!!

Okay, I am just terrible: I thought Sandman was only okay. Seriously. Neil Gaiman is soooooo emo that I believe he started emo. It is still a pretty great series for what it started (and the spin off characters are some of the best - Thessaly for the win). However, there are series that I love far more.

Transmetropolitan is one of the best series ever especially if you love society and depravity. READ IT.

Current stuff:
I was picking up Secret Six (you want to talk DEPRAVED!!! So fucking awesome - the end sucks but TOTALLY WORTH picking up the trades - Bane voluntarily (kinda) receiving bricks to the face is just not not to be missed) and Gotham City Sirens from DC (Harley for the win). However, DC is relaunching starting next month so every title is ending. However, it is interesting that the previously defunct Wildstorm Universe (Wild CATS, Authority, etc) is actually being brought into the current DC universe and will be in the new DC Universe too. So I am a sucker for Grifter and Voodoo and they have their own books. I am also picking up Batgirl because it is written by the same writer as the current Secret Six (Gail Simone). I am also going to check out a bunch of other titles since the Secret Six gang, though no longer the exact same people, are being spread over a couple titles (Harley in Suicide Squad, Ivy in Birds of Prey).

So that is DC. DC owns Vertigo and I love Vertigo:

Fables: hands down awesome. Squiddy - check it out because it is fairy tale characters that have been pushed out of their worlds and are currently living in New York. It is fucking awesome. Seriously.

House of Mystery: I was loving it and it got too trippy for me. It is ending soon though. Sad.

Unwritten: oh my god awesome. The plot is sooooo convoluted but the basics is there is this guy, Tom, who is the son of a famous writer. The writer wrote books that are analogous to Harry Potter (but with Tommy - get it?). And Tom may in fact be Tommy, either in fact as in magic or indoctrination OR BOTH!!! There is a guy who has an arm that tears things apart at the conceptual level (a watch would melt into words like six and hand or something like that). It is amazing and crazy.

American Vampire: jumping on the vampire craze, Vertigo releases an actually awesome vampire series about a new breed of vampire and Skinner Sweet and how insane and awesome he is. Based in the late 1800s to 1900s. Right now they are in WWII.

Marvel:
I got sucked into the XMen thing starting with the Cable and Hope thing (I only got the tail end of the Mutant Messiah). FEAR isn't doing anything for me either however I am really enjoying the shit out of XForce (would you shoot a mass murderer when they are a kid? Cliche and still great) and X23 (Wolverine's clone has issues) and NEW MUTANTS (they are all so fucked up). The vampire thing they had a bit ago was also pretty awesome. Currently, Sentinels are back!! Hope, the "Mutant Messiah", has her own team too which I am enjoying. Also, the ever present Emma Frost's tits. Oh yeah.

Independent:
CHEW - Squiddy already mentioned this one and it is a good one. Chicken is outlawed so the FDA is now the most powerful department and has to enforce. And that is just background. The main character can see things about what he is eating. Like the first issue: he is trying to break into a chicken-speak-easy and ends up having a flash of a murder, chases down the cook (who cut his finger and bleed into the chicken soup you see), the cook dies, and the main character decides to take some more bites of the guy to find out all the murders the cook did. And don't forget the POYO, the luchador chicken.

Infinite Vacation: a slow title since only two or three have come out. Alternate timelines have been discovered and you can bid to take over another version of you's life (or just visit). Let the girl walk away without following? Just bid on another dimension where you didn't. The main character is just a guy, a boring guy, but all the versions of him are being killed off and he doesn't know why.

Executive Assistant Iris: the _only_ title by Aspen that comes out regularly. Think hot Asian assistant who doubles/triples as a courtesan (to whomever is necessary or to their boss), a helper, and a killer. Fun times. The first volume is over and now it has branched off to follow other assistants (not necessarily asian).

Jennifer Blood: started off written by Garth Ennis and has been awesome so far (booooring house mom goes around killing mobsters for some history they have but it is less boring than that I promise). But I just saw it solicited with some other writer so I don't know how that will work.

I pick up a few things from Zenoscope which is known for TITS AND GORE. I am only so so on the stuff currently going on but Return to Wonderland was sooooo much fun. Think: Alice is grown with kids and decides to commit suicide (she hasn't really been all there since she got back). Her daughter gets sucked into Wonderland (which really wants to take over the real world) and everything is a nightmare. And tits and ass.

One thing Zenoscope is putting out that is a bit serious is called Fly. I don't know how they will wrap things up but it is about a drug that actually lets you fly. It is a story from an author that was addicted to meth. I am very interested in how it will turn out.

LOCKE AND KEY: if you are not reading this, you are stupid. Please, go rectify this. It is probably the best thing on the shelf right now. It is written by Stephen King's kid: Joe Hill. The art is by Gabriel Rodriguez and it is phenomenal. Everything is twisted and wonderful: there are these keys that do different things, like let your soul travel without your body (first book only). There are MANY more keys and they are hidden. Also, adults can't remember them. They can see them but they get confused. And someone wants the Omega key. It is seriously the best thing ever.

I'll end on that note even thought I have a few titles left that I am currently picking up. I am a huge nerd.

Last edited by Lasairfiona on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lala, I think my winky just now did a bit of sex on my thigh.

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is why I bag and board my comics.
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:

Okay, I am just terrible: I thought Sandman was only okay. Seriously. Neil Gaiman is soooooo emo that I believe he started emo. It is still a pretty great series for what it started (and the spin off characters are some of the best - Thessaly for the win). However, there are series that I love far more.

Sandman is just greek tragedy filled with an astonishing amount of detailed stories.

It is not emo, it is tragic. Dream's emo bullshit has little impact, it's his pride that is the problem. (it's actually directly said by someone I believe)

I mean, he's certainly an idiot but that's because he's the most human.

Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your ideas about Marvel 1602 btw? I thought it sounded pretty dope but I didn't buy it because woe is me I am poor.

Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original one by Gaiman is fucking awesome, the others are alright, but nowhere near as good.

Yoz, there are huge amounts of scholarly analysis for comics other then Sandman, especially all of Moore's work, especially Watchmen.

I fucking love the fucking dick balls mother fucker out of Fables. Jck of Fables has derailed a bit and I'm losing interest, but Fables is still fucking just the fucking best.

My bff collects all the Marvel, and I loved Siege a lot, but Fear Itself is mostly confusing and unengaging. Bendis is pretty fucking amazing most of the time, but Fear Itself isn't doing it for me.

Totally forgot Fell -- written by Warren Ellis, drawn by Ben Templesmith, there's only one trade out, it looks like it's stalled due to bad timing between Ellis & Templesmith, but even the one volume is fucking amazing.

Also, Gary, pick up The Boys, by Garth Ennis, I think it's right up your dirty little dismembered prostitute filled alley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 2 of 22

Jump to: