welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paris!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring a blender with you, so you can say you went to gay Pureé
Jinx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend the Musée Rodin

They have the Gates of Hell and the Thinker in the garden.

It's been nearly 20 years since I was there, but it was one of my favorite things in Paris. Of course, I'm more of a sculpture fan than a painting fan, and Rodin is pretty much my favorite, so YMMV.
simfonic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things to eat in Paris;
You've already been given a list of some fancy places, I can probably help with the others. Wink For one, walking down the Champs-Élysées you'll find it overflowing with cafés. There's usually a board outside with the menu and since it's a large tourist destination the menu will often be in French and English. If it's not in English, avoid things that say cheval unless you fancy eating horse. If you like metal, cave like settings, the possibility of seeing someone dressed like a cenobite, and art drawn by H.R. Giger give the Black Dog a visit. This place has massive steaks (and apparently delicious, I dunno, I don't like steak).The sauces they come with and the potatoes are enough to make me want to go there just for that. For a drink check out the Long Hop and order a Serbian Iced Tea. I'm not sure how many will be around during your visit, but street vendors making fresh crêpes smothered with Nutella so it gets all hot and melty is probably one of the best snacks ever to have on a cold day.

To visit;
Obviously the main sights have already been mentioned but I have to disagree about the Louvre. I can spend days in there, especially with the fact that they change exhibits. Last time I went (a few months ago), they had some amazing Egyptian and Mesopotamian items. The Mona Lisa is disappointing, but I think that has to do with, you've seen it a million times already and the actual picture is very small, not even full portrait. I still love seeing Nike, but that is my favourite sculpture soooo. Even on super busy days you can still manage to sneak off to some of the lesser traveled exhibits and see something interesting. Plus 12 € for an all day, all museum pass I think is a way better deal than 15 € to go to the top of the tower.

Speaking of La Tour Eiffel, I find it pretty boring, insane lines and high prices make it one of those things I tell people to skip. I've gone up once and only to the first observation point which is 8 € a person. I went on a dead day and it was still a 20 minute wait to the elevator. However the line for the stairs is short! If you do go up the tower, I'd just go to the first observation floor, you can actually identify landmarks from that level. There's also a lot of hawkers, gypsy beggars, pick pockets, and scam artists (you'll find these around any monument, but more so the tower). Careful of the scam that someone seems to drop a ring in front of you then attempts to put it on your finger. He's just attempting to get some money for a penny ring and maybe slip your rings off. I've seen it happen to tourists!

Cimetière du Père-Lachaise of course is a wonderful place to wonder and see if you can find some famous graves. Lots of impressive and also creepy statues.

I also have to disagree about Versailles (maybe because I live there?). It can be a welcome break from busy Paris. The gardens of the palace are lovely and the time of year you're going they should be free. The train ride is only about 30 to 40 minutes and it's the last stop (Rive Gauche) so not easy to miss accidentally. Wink If you're going late next month then you might be lucky and see the colours start changing. I've never been in the palace main because I'm not a fan of over the top opulence, but many say it's nice. Personally I enjoy Hameau de la Reine. It's like taking a trip to the country without having to leave the city. You can also rent bikes and take a ride around the many farm areas and bridle paths behind the palace.

And here's a picture I took last year at the palace of Versailles.

That ended up being longer than I meant... Anyway, have fun!
E-boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two places I never got to see I always wanted to see. Paris, and Rome. Enjoy yourself and share as much as possible so I can add to these lovely listings of things to see and experience if I ever do get to Paris.
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-boy wrote:
Two places I never got to see I always wanted to see. Paris, and Rome.

We joined the Navy
to see the world
and what did we see?
we saw the sea

E-boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA!

Mostly true though. Smile I did see a fair amount of the world. Even more of it when I stopped spending my off time in the pubs. If I could do it all over again I'd spend more time sober.

Nearly every place I went had something to recommend it. People were almost always friendly. So much interesting stuff out there. There are places I would never voluntarily go again, but that was just as often due to my own frailities as any actual danger (OCD and third world countries are a bad mix).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: