welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 year anniversary of 9/11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LD!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicon man
Rubber sticks and that can hurt or even cause tearing in extreme cases.
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LD! wrote:
Silicon man
Rubber sticks and that can hurt or even cause tearing in extreme cases.

well I was paraphrasing a relatively famous person but okay
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
if the tenth anniversary of the September 11th attacks occasioned thoughtful and thorough national reflection and debate about the kind of country we've become since then and what kind of world we have now, ten years later, i would not be of the "fuck 9/11" opinion

but it won't

so fuck 9/11

Exactly!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
if the tenth anniversary of the September 11th attacks occasioned thoughtful and thorough national reflection and debate about the kind of country we've become since then and what kind of world we have now, ten years later, i would not be of the "fuck 9/11" opinion

but it won't

so fuck 9/11

Exactly!

So what are you two doing to change that? How are you going to elevate everyone above their prejudices and enlighten them? It really looks like all you're doing is pouring forth the same apathy and anger you're decrying.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are you assuming i'm not? well, other than to feel smugly superior.

hell, why are you even assuming i'm saying the same thing as Darq? 'cuz i'm not, and i'm not sure why Darq thinks i am, but then again i'm not sure what really goes on in his mind to begin with.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so by "fuck 9/11" you were intending to say that you honored the innocent dead and remembered the sacrifices of those who gave their lives trying to save whom they could? I see. Well, "fuck" you, then.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
Oh, so by "fuck 9/11" you were intending to say that you honored the innocent dead and remembered the sacrifices of those who gave their lives trying to save whom they could? I see. Well, "fuck" you, then.

Fuck your "self pity*" Wounds don't heal unless you stop picking at them.

*In the sense of american self pity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discrimination and prejudice will always exist in some form or another. People fear things they don't understand and that fear can easily turn into hate. Just because we elected an african american president doesn't mean we still won't always have men in white sheets roaming the countryside. Also, it has only been 10 years...and while you are claiming that to be a large time frame to learn a lesson culturally, I see it as merely a bat of an eyelash in our nation's history.

While I won't watch those videos because I find them painful to watch, I know they will happen because people died and those people deserve to be remembered and honored. My parents' generation remembers Pearl Harbor quite vividly and the effect it had. I guess we didn't throw the Arab Americans into internment camps like we did the Japanese Americans. Progress.
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck fascism
fuck fascism
fuck fascism
fuck fascism

Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: start small Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:

but it won't

so fuck 9/11

Maybe it would be easier if you recounted where you were when the attacks happened, and what you were thinking at the time.

You know, baby steps.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: (it tried to get between them) Reply with quote

I'm just happy for 9 and 11 that they're still together after all this time

10 be damned
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand the sentiment that 9/11 gets more and more commercialized and people become more desensitized to it over the years, I still think most Americans have a genuine remorse and remembrance for those lost. TV stations, media outlets, news organizations not so much.

Most of the news is sensationalism journalism anyway. Whatever is going to make someone turn their head and look their way. Shock value, etc. And it's not limited to events like 9/11. They do it with so many things.

And 9/11 wouldn't be the first event the news media and organizations have marketed every angle they could on the event. They still do it with the Holocaust after how many decades ago this happened? There's a movie out now about Nazi chasers.

So while I understand the sentiment, I guess I'm confused as to why you're picking out 9/11 as the one thing that's set you off as to how it's been treated over the years. Why this event?

As for me, personally, I still feel god awful when I think of that day. I remember exactly where I was, driving to work, when I heard the girl on the radio say that news organizations were reporting a small private plane had hit one of the towers. The radio station had turned on the TV and the morning show watched the second plane go into the second tower. I heard the girl scream on the radio. I still hear that scream in my head.

In an ideal world, events like 9/11 would change us for the better, learn from past mistakes, not let current prejudices divide us, and come out the other end of the tragedy a more compassionate and understanding nation.

But in the real world, people actually think people like Michelle Bachmann are serious candidates for president and people still could care less about the guy they just cut off on the road to get to their destination five seconds faster.

I don't forsee any real wake up call in the near future. Sadly enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Oneponytoruleall

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: start small Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

Maybe it would be easier if you recounted where you were when the attacks happened, and what you were thinking at the time.

You know, baby steps.

I was in the elevator at the hospital going up to see my dad who was in the ICU on the verge of dying and heard some women in the elevator talking about a plane crash in New York. But they were vague about it as if they had just heard themselves. When I got to my father's room, I saw the first tower smoking on his tv which was turned to CNN. Every television on the floor was tuned into the newsfeed.
E-boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand a lot of the apathy, and certainly the anger. 9/11 has been marketed, whored for political purposes, used as a justification for bypassing due process and all manner of other things. Frankly, people have every right to be offended by a tragedy being prostituted to further political agendas.

What you take it to mean, how you react to the observances or think about the consequences is on you. It is my hope we will get past the politics and the fear (at least as much as is possible, fear is pretty potent stuff). Best case scenario it will take decades, not years to reverse any excesses in the system brought about by fear. Suspicion of muslims will probably continue until more non-muslim Americans have more familiarity with their muslim neighbors. It will probably not disappear in our lifetimes, nor is it really a new phenomenon in any sense. It was part of our culture decades before the actual attacks, if anything 9/11 just emboldened some to give public voice to their predjudices.

To me forgetting is not healing. Healing is when you can remember and see clearly, and move forward. We aren't there as a nation yet, not sure when we will be.
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
I've had almost that same conversation so many times it practically makes me sick even thinking about it.

Have you, you know, tried looking less foreign?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: