welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

10 year anniversary of 9/11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
I've had almost that same conversation so many times it practically makes me sick even thinking about it.

Have you, you know, tried looking less foreign?

Last I checked black hair and tanned skin is a more native look Wink

Seriously though, I don't think it would matter. With the first name Omar, a name that for 2/3's of my life never caused me problems, it doesn't matter how I look. Plus I look A LOT fatter w/o a goatee. My wife had me shave it once and said "Never, ever shave that again, please."

But that's not the point. I didn't start looking or acting different after 9/11, people just started treating me differently. I think the worst is how people react when I 'm with my kids. Meeting their teachers and what not I've gotten a lot of looks like "Those are your kids? Huh, I would have never thought..." It's simply staggering what people can say to you without ever opening their mouths. Don't even get me started on the dirty looks from some of the parents at Cub Scouting functions.

I've changed a lot in the past years but looks haven't been one way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my issue, i think, is with the word 'milestone'. passing a milestone implies progress, and i don't think we've made any. it's an anniversary, i guess - just as you can remember anniversaries of any death.

i get angry because i think it all could have turned out so differently. people around the world were so shocked by what had happened. i had friends who were out of the country at the time, and who got stranded because of all the disruptions to traffic - and they all came back with stories of how kind everyone had been to them, how helpful and sympathetic and even genuinely saddened. terrorism is a threat to the world at large, and a lot of other countries have had experience with it. had we used this as a chance to make a universal response to terrorism, an attempt to unify police activity worldwide, and to really consider and try to address the root causes...this could have been a very different world.

instead, we chose to act as if no one else in the world had any idea what terrorism is - and then go blazing off to the wrong war to resolve old grudges. we tried to make it into a military issue (when there is no history of the military being particularly effective at ending terrorism) and denigrated viewing it as a police matter (even though the police have been effective at dealing with it). we threw away our own freedoms, and made changes to our country and our government that bin laden, in his most exuberant wet dreams, could never have imagined.

and i doubt we are going to see much of that sort of self-examination. it's sure not going to change the political atmosphere in washington, so the republicans will continue holding up important appointments in national security areas, just so they can foil obama. none of them are going to look at themselves and say "wow-we really got that wrong. we should try to fix some stuff, even if we really can't" doubt if it will even do anything about helping the first responders get their medical care paid for without proving they aren't, themselves, terrorists - or whatever the travesty is that they are having to go through. it's not even going to end the squabbling about what sort of memorial should go up.

but i do have to say - the ordinary people who died - why are they "honored dead"? i feel badly for them and their families - but they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, like the thousands of other people who die every year in traffic accidents and construction accidents and all sorts of other chance events. the firefighters and policemen and everyone else who went in to try to save people, they deserve honor. as does every fireman who runs into a burning building to save someone and every policeman who puts his life on the line and every ordinary citizen who takes a risk to help a stranger. but just because the numbers are a lot larger than in the usual house fire doesn't turn these people into some special sort of saint. i think that attitude is what makes it hard for people to move on, the sense that there is something extra significant in those deaths, as though they have some special meaning. i'm sorry, but they don't.

and i'm sorry you and people like you are suffering the fallout, still, darq. it probably is the name omar (someone from puerto rico living in the vicinity of nyc has certainly seen a lot of non-arabic black-haired brown-skinned people and shouldn't be judging on appearances). i would suggest changing your name, but that's just silly, you shouldn't have to. maybe you could dye your hair blond? if nothing else, that should play with their minds a bit.
Yorick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe he could dye his hair blind and really mess with them
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno u guyz, like 9th of November is totes ages off yet, aight?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustedfaith wrote:
So while I understand the sentiment, I guess I'm confused as to why you're picking out 9/11 as the one thing that's set you off as to how it's been treated over the years. Why this event?

There's so many ways I can answer, and I don't think your necessarily wrong about anything you said btw, but it's simple: This was a chance for us to become better people, to grow closer to the rest of the world through a common tragedy, and instead we've only furthered our own isolation. It's so fucking trite it hurts but literately in this day and age there's constantly less and less excuse for ignorance.

I mean in the age where One Laptop per Child went from idea to functional charity in less than half a decade is phenomenal. But I still know countless adults who are happy to stay safe and comfortable in their ignorance.

It's speculative on my part, but with no world war, no cold war, there's a HUGE population of Americans who can't sleep soundly at night unless they can know who the "bad guys" and "good guys" are. Hell, I've seen war documentaries talking about how great America is because of her ability to "rise against a common threat". I think for many people they found that after 9/11. If you doubt our mentality of painting things as dichotomous, good vs. bad, "us" vs. "them", you need to look no further then are oh so successful war on drugs. It's not unrelated, this is how America, Americans, deals with it's problems. Sure there's exceptions like NYC where they've taken a less symptomatic approach to law enforcement but it's sadly the exception. We don't solve our problems, we legislate and litigate them away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
I dunno u guyz, like 9th of November is totes ages off yet, aight?

curse your silly British colloquialisms
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Al Qaeda spent roughly half a million dollars to destroy the World Trade Center and cripple the Pentagon. What has been the cost to the United States? In a survey of estimates by The New York Times, the answer is $3.3 trillion, or about $7 million for every dollar Al Qaeda spent planning and executing the attacks. While not all of the costs have been borne by the government and some are still to come this total equals one-fifth of the current national debt.

graphs of where the money went
Yorick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Quote:
Al Qaeda spent roughly half a million dollars to destroy the World Trade Center and cripple the Pentagon. What has been the cost to the United States? In a survey of estimates by The New York Times, the answer is $3.3 trillion, or about $7 million for every dollar Al Qaeda spent planning and executing the attacks. While not all of the costs have been borne by the government and some are still to come this total equals one-fifth of the current national debt.

graphs of where the money went

I was going to note that the graphs looks familiar, but then realised that was a different NYT infographic.
which I wish I could remember what was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: